3d Printing Links

RonBSM

The Upside Down Troll
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Print bed.png

@Chronos as you can see, we will see in 9hrs 25mins what these look like. I've added them to my final print bed (Set to super fine) for the oil rig project (not too bad, it only added 3 hours to put these on) so around 730pm this will complete and I can update you then.

I'll post more on the oil rig later on today since it's all but complete for printing and I have to assemble my crane.....

Chronos

Ganger
Sep 19, 2017
Madrid
Wow, 3 more hours just because of those pieces seems quite a lot... So I hope I haven't messed it up with the measures... 😕

RonBSM

The Upside Down Troll
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Don't worry. 3d printing is a slow thing. Especially when you turn the quality up.

There is a few things you have to accept with 3D printing, time being one of them. Wasted filament another... for example, these things are so thin that I cant just print straight onto the bed as they'll warp so I need to either use a brim (which is a border if you like, and it is that which warps (if at all) instead of the print and that costs filament, or you can use a raft which is a lot more filament than a brim but makes it all easier to remove and since these supports are very thin I'm raft printing them so ensure no damage happens when I take them off.
One other tip for you, when you create an STL file, try to minimise lost space when you have something that is half and half like this. In your current STL its laid out like a square with a big gap in the middle, next time position them so they are more rectangular in thier layout so that the space lost in the middle is reduced and reduces other time and filament costs as well.

Last edited:

RonBSM

The Upside Down Troll
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
20200629_192319.jpg

20200629_192332.jpg

20200629_192354.jpg

Your design measurements were spot on @Chronos

The only thing is I think that it was probably 0.25mm too thick at the joining sections on each half (so between 0.25mm and 0.5mm too thick when put together as it was a fight to get them into the bulkheads)

I think that these would be played off against Easier to print as a whole, upright, vs flat in halves for arguably a better finish. But I think it will print a lot faster vertical on an fdm as there is no point in turning on ironing.

Chronos

Ganger
Sep 19, 2017
Madrid
Wow, it looks like it fits quite well :giggle:

Thanks so much for testing it! I'm not sure I understand however where did you have problems with the piece. Should the part that goes into the bulkhead be thinner?

Lets try with a picture, so I can check if I can modify it to make the piece better:

Do you mean the part marked in red should be thinner?

By the way, are the holes marked in green in the right spot? That was my main concern that being a bit off could mean the piece not fitting properly. And last question, the part marked in yellow, does it fit properly or should I remove it?

RonBSM

The Upside Down Troll
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Green and yellow fit perfect.

But send me the stl for a complete stand and I'll try the upright print- the red mark needs to lose 0.5mm thickness, if the upright print has the same issue

Reactions: Aulenback

undertaker

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
If it helps for defining the width of that red part, at one point I stacked up a bunch of GW card walkways from the original set and measured their thickness with calipers. This gave 1.04 mm as the thickness of the cardstock used for that terrain.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Also remember that the card pieces have compression value, where the printed plastic really does not. The cardboard will "squish" slightly to fit into the slot, but the plastic keeps the same volume. I printed some of the other "recreation of the old card pieces" files by Alan Hamilton on thingiverse, and had to sand down the undersides of the edges for them to fit into the bulkheads, though the caliper said they were the same thickness as the cardstock.

Looking good, by the way!

At present, I am expanding one side of our Precipice table [and eventually having a sometimes-GorkaMorka centrepiece] by printing Terrain4Print'sbroken ship bridge
and Slayer_Of_Monster's internal bridge sections
with a few busted display screens. A slow process. But it should look pretty.

Then I will get back to making more 1995 bulkheads, and more printed versions of the 1995 cardstock. So thank you for this!

Chronos

Ganger
Sep 19, 2017
Madrid
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think what @RonBSM was refering to was another thickness. Take a look:

Painted in blue there are some protruding parts that are the ones that fix the cardboard piece in place. Those are the reasons why I made those holes I marked in green on the previous image. The simpler version of the piece should also fit there (I think I made those 1mm thick). However, I made some thicker, more detailed pieces that are meant to fit in the gap marked in red, and that's the thickness marked also in read on the previous image .

I think the problem is I measured that gap and was exactly what I used as thickness for the piece, not taking into account any space left so even just taking both parts and gluing them together would mean the piece won't easily fit that gap...

I'm trying to modify the piece today (I think it should be easy enough) and upload the upright model @RonBSM :)

RonBSM

The Upside Down Troll
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think what @RonBSM was refering to was another thickness. Take a look:

Painted in blue there are some protruding parts that are the ones that fix the cardboard piece in place. Those are the reasons why I made those holes I marked in green on the previous image. The simpler version of the piece should also fit there (I think I made those 1mm thick). However, I made some thicker, more detailed pieces that are meant to fit in the gap marked in red, and that's the thickness marked also in read on the previous image .

I think the problem is I measured that gap and was exactly what I used as thickness for the piece, not taking into account any space left so even just taking both parts and gluing them together would mean the piece won't easily fit that gap...

I'm trying to modify the piece today (I think it should be easy enough) and upload the upright model @RonBSM :)
So yes... the blue marked cutouts were perfectly placed and measured. No issue there. The overall thickness of the red marked area made it just little too tight.

Don't forget as mentioned, card (original purpose for these bulkheads) has some compression to it and the protrusions are there to accommodate that.

Once I get the adjusted upright STL I'll set the printer off for 2 on a raft mount and I'll test fit them again for you.

Chronos

Ganger
Sep 19, 2017
Madrid
@RonBSM here it is (or at least think so, as I don't know if I've understood the "upright print" properly).

Link

Now the thickness is reduced by 0,5mm (0,25 each side) and also made an small cut where I marked in the image with the yellow arrow, as taking a look in more detail I think it could be also part of the problem.

RonBSM

The Upside Down Troll
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
test bh support.png

4 hours for 2 in vertical with ironing turned on and high quality. I've enable ironing on all laters which adds hardly any time at all to be fair (like 2 minutes?) so- by 8pm GMT I should be able to get these off the raft and see how they fit. And yes... printing 2 of of them. A single one comes in at 2hrs 30 minutes so for time its efective to print 2.

RonBSM

The Upside Down Troll
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
I feel like I need to say... @Chronos has done some impeccable work here. All of my comments are nitty gritty picky things to achieve perfection.

Massive credit has to go to his design process as he was 99.99% of the way there WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF A 3D PRINTER to check against.

I think that once these tweaks are here there is going to be a massive reason for Necromunda players to print off his files.

Chronos

Ganger
Sep 19, 2017
Madrid
@RonBSM, thanks for testing it and for the great video! The detail looks quite better than I expected with even the tiny rivets being quite noticeable.

I must say however that I'm frankly amazed that you managed to make the second support fit in other insert 😂 (Didn't even realized I should have said that the piece was not suitable for both sides of the bulkhead... Would have known you were printing both I would have sent you also the mirrored piece 😅)

By the way, I'm not sure I understand the problem you explain in the picture (maybe language gap) but... Could it be that it is related with using the piece in the wrong place of the bulkhead? Did it happen in both sides? I had to trim the wedge on the inner side as the bulkhead have two small protrusions that could make the piece not fitting properly, but I though with that change it was going to fit better... :unsure:

Chronos

Ganger
Sep 19, 2017
Madrid
Hi, I couldn't work on it earlier, but I think it should be fixed now.

I've also modified the detailed version (though it is slightly different). For this version I reduced the thickness by 0.2mm instead of 0.25mm and the wedge is trimmed slightly less (like 0,01mm). I assume it should not make such a difference anyway. Besides, the detailed version has some pipes inside the surface holes (maybe for printing the simpler version is better):

I've also included both left and right versions. So here it is the file (03 versions are like the previous ones I shared here but with the modified wedge, and the 04 ones are those including the additional details) [link]