N18 40K Open Day Necromunda Panel

andrewedwardbrown

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Oct 16, 2012
Hemel Hempstead, England.
Alright lads - bit of a random one for you.

I was up in Nottingham at Warhammer World this past weekened. Not specifically for the 40K open day but it was a happy coincidence. There was a small Necromunda seminar session. Annoyingly they seem to be changing up the format of these sessions so they no longer show any visuals and its more Q&A. Which is a bit silly but hey ho.
The Necromunda panelists were among others Andy Hoare and Owen Something who sculpted the ZM plastic terrain.
At the end they wanted to tell THEM what we wanted and also filled in what they wanted the direction of Necromunda to be. One of the requests (from me personally) was a generic "Hiver/Civilian" kit that would allow you to make NPC's or use existing Munda kits to make Scum, Hangers on etc. That seemed well recieved. The highest called for request was Spyrer's and Redemptionists. It seems that both of them seem to be high up on the to do list as they both fit in well with the current narrative.

What they personally wanted to work on and what they hinted at WAS being worked on were scenarios in the more trade oriented part of the hive. Basically the loading docks, inter-hive transit tunnels, space docks etc etc. Basically focussing on the people that have to work in the area and may end up living their as well. Turning containers into habs etc.
Owen also wanted to make more terrain that bolted on to the ZM terrain that he designed. Specifically things that made the hive feel more lived in - think shanty towns, shacks, workshops etc. He seemed to feel that the ZM terrain was very much the bones and needed to be fleshed out.

Andy Hoare's aim was Ash Wastes. He wanted to make a campaign book specifically set out there and all the stuff that it would include. Vehicles, Nomads etc etc. He said that just before they started work on NuMunda that his gaming group had played a huge campaign based in the Wastes and still hasn't gotten over it and wants to get that in there.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA

andrewedwardbrown

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Oct 16, 2012
Interesting that you say that. They actually used them as a specific example about how they have to take in the current discourse in society regarding cultural sensitivity. They said that now they simply couldn't push the native American feel so much as it simply wouldn't be appropriate.

They are however mentioned extensively in the current books so I think we will see them at some point.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
We could need some clarifications on all the stuff we got already, instead of more scenarios, more campaigns, more tactics cards, more bounty hunters and hive scum.

Here are some stats of what we already have for Necromunda:
  • 5 campaigns
  • 204 tactics cards
  • 55 scenarios
  • 40 hired gun special characters
  • 11 gangs
  • 13 pets
  • 13 hangers-on
  • 9 Brutes
  • 66 Resource cards (territory/racket)
  • 80 sub-plots (House/Intrigue)

Gunkaiser

Gang Champion
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
But we need none of those so much as we need plastic Spyrers...

• Haha
Reactions: Aulenback

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
there’s a thread here that introduces two new spyrer types (one uses lots of drones, and the other was fire based, if i remember right). it would be awesome if there were a plastic spyrer kit that allows creation of original types and player-imagined new types. mix and match arms, weapons, heads, etc.

2 comments

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
isn’t that what made them unique in the first place? the high tech toys? otherwise they’re just gangers... Orrus: heavy/ganger , Yeld: long range shooting, Malcadon & Jakara close combat gangers. they’re only missing a specific Leader and Juvies.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
The last thing I want is another time limited, arbitrator demanding 7-week campaign with with some resources granting insane bonuses. None of the campaigns released so far is playable for me and my friends (and we played necromunda for almost 20 years!).
But we need none of those so much as we need plastic Spyrers...
I don't understand why we need Spyrers. Are they fun to play with, or completely broken? What does a Spyrer bring to the table that gang doesn't?

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
I don't understand why we need Spyrers. Are they fun to play with, or completely broken? What does a Spyrer bring to the table that gang doesn't?
Well, Spyrers are quite different in many ways to a "standard" gang, and can bring a couple of different things.

Play-style wise, as an included gang, they are a fragile gang of heroic characters, rather than a rabble, starting big but progressing slowly, and unable to expand, and no real interest in territories. This makes their goals unusual, affecting tactics [loot counters are pointless to them, as is stealing territory], and makes their progression unusual, affecting strategies [they cannot afford any losses really, so must be especially careful].

Thematically, as something for use on a campaign narrative, they also bring a couple of things other gangs don't. Horror-movie-monster themes [Predator], and a physical embodiment of the oppressive ruling class that hunts humans for sport [The Greatest Game, or The Hunger Games].

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Spyrers are really cool fluff-wise and have a lot of potential miniature-wise imo (the old metals were a bit too campy for my taste), but they need to be handled with extreme care rule-wise or they will end up broken one way or another. Sadly, I have zero confidence that this team will handle them with care.

At this point, I'd gladly take an imperial citizens plastic kit over anything else. I'm sure it would sell well (especially if it's packed with weapons from the trading post), and it wouldn't require them to write any additional rule. Back in the days, I remember the Mordheim mercenary/imperial milicia kit was very popular, so a 40k version should be a hit.

Squee

Ganger
Jan 11, 2019
We could need some clarifications on all the stuff we got already, instead of more scenarios, more campaigns, more tactics cards, more bounty hunters and hive scum.
Tough luck, mate. Judging by the way things have been going these two past years, the stuff that's out there will stay as is forever. If we are exceptionally lucky, GW might grace us with a yearly FAQ. Seeing that the latest FAQ is almost a year old and judging by the other products' yearly updates it's at least reasonable to assume that's possible. However the quality and scope of that FAQ will most likely be inadequate, for I really doubt that ANY amount of duct tape can fix the state N18 is at now.

So in short - abandon hope.

Make your houserules and community FAQs and don't bother with GW's rules anymore. Or just play something else. Will save you quite some time and nerves.

Jumbley

Black And White Son Of A Gun
Honored Tribesman
Sep 5, 2019
If I had been in that crowd, the last thing I would have thought to ask about would be what's coming next...

As several others have stated, the game is in a very messy state. The existing rules need clarification and reworking. But, from the sounds of how this Q&A went and the questions the crowd was asking, it seems like the average Necromunda player really couldn't give a damn about the rules, they just want new models.

So fair enough, I guess: the Necromunda team sees where their bread is buttered, and appropriately puts zero effort into the game. And that attitude is unlikely to change, considering that when they have a public Q&A session, not a single person thinks to ask about any of the myriad and fundamental flaws already in place; instead it's all about what crap they can squeeze out next.

So yeah, this couldn't possibly be more disappointing news as a Newcromunda player. If Games Workshop's policy is to stay the course and keep pushing out garbage to add to the heap, I don't think my policy on what to do with that garbage will change either (yar har).

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I dunno. as someone who has purchased 0 things from N17 on, i’m kinda looking forward to seeing what they do with the Ash Wastes. I’m speculating that Ratskins/Nomads will be merged into Techno-barbarians of some type, my hope (based on the spectacular work of some fine Yaks making gangs) is these techno-barbarian-nomads will be divided into clans based off animal totems (Rats, Crows, Snakes, etc.), and that there will be vehicle rules.

Nullius

Nov 25, 2019
Yeah an imperial citizens kit is an extremely smart idea. It would probably sell even better than enforcers because of the amazing potential for conversions and bespoke units in Necromunda, Killteam, and 40k. For years I’be wanted to do a civilian militia army for 40k. Plus it’s an excuse to go completely nuts design-wise. Like the gobbapalooza box. Each hover can be wildly different. And give
How crowded give cities are supposed to be, necromunda tables can often feel pretty deserted.

Reactions: Mr. Litotes

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
if anything for this, i’d wish for two sprues of civilians, with six males on one, and six females on the other. Each representing non-gang fighters from each of the Houses.

i’d think they’d look similar to the gangs, only more subdued. For example, Goliaths would be muscular, but not as massive as the gang fighters. Escher wouldn’t be as flamboyant... maybe no bare midriff and less-peacocky hair (males would be super skinny). Van Saar could look like the original models but with less armor-like bits. Cawdor in “homespun” and no masks/hoods. Orlocks would be more like coveralls and boots or maybe jeans and t-shirts. i’m guessing Delaque would be goth-punk...skinny jeans, puffy shirts, floor-length skirts.

3 comments

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
no, a juvie sprue would be gang related and have weapons. these would be house specific civilians. Juvie sprues would be awesome too. Although i guess Escher would have two female characters instead of one of each.

Reactions: spafe and Nullius

Nullius

Nov 25, 2019
Yeah exactly. A lot of folks are complaining about the lack of any number of models that are reasonably easy and fun to convert from other things in the range, but civilians are really hard to convert up. You need a lot of rare bits. Hands without weapons in them for example. Unarmored bodies. Heads that aren’t screaming or shouting or fixed in an expression of stoic rage. Civilian clothes. If the Empire Militia kit were still available it might be easier, but still not easy. Civilian models would be extremely easy to make into Juves. But making civilians out of other kits is damned hard. Heck even making ratskins is fairly easy with access to all the kits from Warcry. But making a merchant or a scribe or a factory worker is either a huge project or a big search for bits and oop models.

Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
I would also be happy about some hive human inhabitants with males and females. Maybe some hive nobility too.
And I also like their personal ideas.

I did not know if it's allowed to link the pictures directly, but on Twitter you can find some pictures of the great Necromunda Dark Uprising Diorama:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/necromunda?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=hash

Last edited:
Reactions: Nullius

Deckard_2049

Ganger
Nov 20, 2017
California
So long as there is a squat on any hivers sprue i'd be happy. Tbh though ash wastes don't interest me much. It seems like it would be too much of a spinoff gameplay wise. I'd rather them not wasting resources on vehicle kits when all the house gangs still need stuff like the stig shambler, spyker, cats, all sorts of other things. They are in too much of a rush to do new things when everything they've already released is half baked in terms of sculpts. I'd rather not see more books and rules, as it's already becoming overwhelming as it is. Maybe 1 new book like the book of ruin per year, but this year we got 3 different books behind the much needed compilation books in december.

Reactions: andrewedwardbrown

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
Regarding vehicles, they'll probably not bother tbh; there are plenty of vehicles already available (e.g. the GSC vehicles) that they'd probably push as "fun conversion opportunities", and they're already stowed off with all the stuff they're already putting out.

Parmesan

Apr 27, 2015
I think the rules could do with a good clean up, a few silly things need to be addressed, (an FAQ would help), why can't my enforcers have magnacles, despite having them on the bloody models? Lots of books... So many books! But that's GW's way, why give you one book when we can charge you for 8 or 9 different books...

Apart from that I'm very much enjoying Necromunda, lots of nice models, new scenery is nice (would like to see some of it released separately so I could fill my board out a little) a kit for some civilians or something would be great, or even a generic Bounty Hunter model with a selection of different weapon on the sprues....

Jumbley

Black And White Son Of A Gun
Honored Tribesman
Sep 5, 2019
Aye, that's the rub - it would be so easy to just write this game off and move on, if it was the same level of polish from top to bottom. But there's still so much to like about Necromunda.

2 comments
Reactions: BearsWillEatYou

Parmesan

Apr 27, 2015
It's the one GW game I've consistently played for about 15 years in its various froms. A few house rules here and there, and we tend to make our own cheat sheet, (photocopy or make up a PDF with all the important bits from the 8 million books)

It would only take a couple of hours to really thrash out the rules. Tidy stuff up. Surely a group of staff at GW could sit and play for a couple of days and quickly find the issues? Either a nice little FAQ, or a small, condensed rule book, none of faff, just this is how it works.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Same here @Parmesan . I used to have TONS of GW games (WFB, Epic, LotR, etc) but when the time came to thin down the collection (Yaklings) the only one that was 100% off the table was Necromunda. Some of them i even kept some models from to make new Necromunda gangs. i’ve kept a few 40k forces, but i’ll sell them if i have to. I’m keeping Necromunda. (maybe someday i’ll even by some of the new stuff!)

Lucio

Apr 28, 2018
Nowhere, OK, USA
Sounds like good news on the terrain front! Would love to have a "shanty town" set of add-ons that fit against the ZM walls.

Can understand wanting Spyrers too, not enough people have fallen in love with the Venator gang

Redemptionists would be perfect for the current ethos, a foil to the Chaos cults

Deckard_2049

Ganger
Nov 20, 2017
California
Redemptionists would be cool, but I worry they'd make them too PC. If they can't keep the old look and nutty atmosphere of the old models then meh...rather see something else.

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Too PC? The Cawdor models are already more "nutty" than Redemptionists ever were, but I don't even see how that has anything to do with being "PC" or not. Have you heard about this new Cannibal Holocaust campaign they are promoting right now in a huge boxed set? How about the Slavers Guild, or forcibly getting opponents addicted to narcotics with chem delivery rounds? Maybe Alien sex cults are your thing, Necromunda has them. What about that BDSM Nuns with Guns army just released for a related product line? I don't think being "PC" is stifling any creativity for GW, and I certainly don't see why it is a constant fear among people. Ha!

Sorry if this seems like an attack on you, it isn't intended to be. It's just that the hysteria of perceived PC culture run amok is perplexing to me, and just as annoying as actual keyboard crusaders feigning offense for clicks and likes.

1 comments
Last edited:

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I think you've missed the point. I'm going to just put this one message here so if you have, you'll be in the know, if you were aware and ignored it for the sake of making your point, that's fine too (I'll disagree with you, but you are free to have that opinion). Either way, so as not to derail this thread, the following comment will require no follow up, if you do want to discuss further, please pm me.

The PC references are not to a post apoc type world, setting, other. PG rating or otherwise is as much as you make of it too. The PC reference is to do with primarily ratskins (not mentioned here), and redemptionists. The redemptionists are due to their heavy similarities in imagery and (parts of) their backstory with the kkk who are a real world group. To the best of my knowledge there are no cannibal cults in recent history/present that could have anywhere close to an analogue with the corpse grinder cult, slave guilds are such a generic group there is less issue etc etc. Whereas the kkk links (or native ameican stereotypes for the ratskins) is a modern day group that means using certain imagery could well cause offence.

Reactions: Jacob Dryearth

andrewedwardbrown

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Oct 16, 2012
Any word on those new sprues for juves/champions they mentionned at one point ?
Nope, nothing I'm afraid. As nice as it was to talk to them they specifically said at the start of both the Sisters of Battle & Necromunda talks that they couldn't talk about anything in relation to future releases, only on what's been released or previewed. Which I was more than a little disappointed at.