N18 40K Open Day Necromunda Panel

andrewedwardbrown

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Oct 16, 2012
Hemel Hempstead, England.
Alright lads - bit of a random one for you.

I was up in Nottingham at Warhammer World this past weekened. Not specifically for the 40K open day but it was a happy coincidence. There was a small Necromunda seminar session. Annoyingly they seem to be changing up the format of these sessions so they no longer show any visuals and its more Q&A. Which is a bit silly but hey ho.
The Necromunda panelists were among others Andy Hoare and Owen Something who sculpted the ZM plastic terrain.
At the end they wanted to tell THEM what we wanted and also filled in what they wanted the direction of Necromunda to be. One of the requests (from me personally) was a generic "Hiver/Civilian" kit that would allow you to make NPC's or use existing Munda kits to make Scum, Hangers on etc. That seemed well recieved. The highest called for request was Spyrer's and Redemptionists. It seems that both of them seem to be high up on the to do list as they both fit in well with the current narrative.

What they personally wanted to work on and what they hinted at WAS being worked on were scenarios in the more trade oriented part of the hive. Basically the loading docks, inter-hive transit tunnels, space docks etc etc. Basically focussing on the people that have to work in the area and may end up living their as well. Turning containers into habs etc.
Owen also wanted to make more terrain that bolted on to the ZM terrain that he designed. Specifically things that made the hive feel more lived in - think shanty towns, shacks, workshops etc. He seemed to feel that the ZM terrain was very much the bones and needed to be fleshed out.

Andy Hoare's aim was Ash Wastes. He wanted to make a campaign book specifically set out there and all the stuff that it would include. Vehicles, Nomads etc etc. He said that just before they started work on NuMunda that his gaming group had played a huge campaign based in the Wastes and still hasn't gotten over it and wants to get that in there.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
We could need some clarifications on all the stuff we got already, instead of more scenarios, more campaigns, more tactics cards, more bounty hunters and hive scum.

Here are some stats of what we already have for Necromunda:
  • 5 campaigns
  • 204 tactics cards
  • 55 scenarios
  • 40 hired gun special characters
  • 11 gangs
  • 13 pets
  • 13 hangers-on
  • 9 Brutes
  • 66 Resource cards (territory/racket)
  • 80 sub-plots (House/Intrigue)

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
The last thing I want is another time limited, arbitrator demanding 7-week campaign with with some resources granting insane bonuses. None of the campaigns released so far is playable for me and my friends (and we played necromunda for almost 20 years!).
But we need none of those so much as we need plastic Spyrers...
I don't understand why we need Spyrers. Are they fun to play with, or completely broken? What does a Spyrer bring to the table that gang doesn't?

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
I don't understand why we need Spyrers. Are they fun to play with, or completely broken? What does a Spyrer bring to the table that gang doesn't?
Well, Spyrers are quite different in many ways to a "standard" gang, and can bring a couple of different things.

Play-style wise, as an included gang, they are a fragile gang of heroic characters, rather than a rabble, starting big but progressing slowly, and unable to expand, and no real interest in territories. This makes their goals unusual, affecting tactics [loot counters are pointless to them, as is stealing territory], and makes their progression unusual, affecting strategies [they cannot afford any losses really, so must be especially careful].

Thematically, as something for use on a campaign narrative, they also bring a couple of things other gangs don't. Horror-movie-monster themes [Predator], and a physical embodiment of the oppressive ruling class that hunts humans for sport [The Greatest Game, or The Hunger Games].

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Spyrers are really cool fluff-wise and have a lot of potential miniature-wise imo (the old metals were a bit too campy for my taste), but they need to be handled with extreme care rule-wise or they will end up broken one way or another. Sadly, I have zero confidence that this team will handle them with care.

At this point, I'd gladly take an imperial citizens plastic kit over anything else. I'm sure it would sell well (especially if it's packed with weapons from the trading post), and it wouldn't require them to write any additional rule. Back in the days, I remember the Mordheim mercenary/imperial milicia kit was very popular, so a 40k version should be a hit.

Squee

Gang Champion
Jan 11, 2019
We could need some clarifications on all the stuff we got already, instead of more scenarios, more campaigns, more tactics cards, more bounty hunters and hive scum.
Tough luck, mate. Judging by the way things have been going these two past years, the stuff that's out there will stay as is forever. If we are exceptionally lucky, GW might grace us with a yearly FAQ. Seeing that the latest FAQ is almost a year old and judging by the other products' yearly updates it's at least reasonable to assume that's possible. However the quality and scope of that FAQ will most likely be inadequate, for I really doubt that ANY amount of duct tape can fix the state N18 is at now.

So in short - abandon hope.

Make your houserules and community FAQs and don't bother with GW's rules anymore. Or just play something else. Will save you quite some time and nerves.

andrewedwardbrown

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Oct 16, 2012
Hemel Hempstead, England.
Interesting that you say that. They actually used them as a specific example about how they have to take in the current discourse in society regarding cultural sensitivity. They said that now they simply couldn't push the native American feel so much as it simply wouldn't be appropriate.

They are however mentioned extensively in the current books so I think we will see them at some point.

Jumbley

Black And White Son Of A Gun
Sep 5, 2019
If I had been in that crowd, the last thing I would have thought to ask about would be what's coming next...

As several others have stated, the game is in a very messy state. The existing rules need clarification and reworking. But, from the sounds of how this Q&A went and the questions the crowd was asking, it seems like the average Necromunda player really couldn't give a damn about the rules, they just want new models.

So fair enough, I guess: the Necromunda team sees where their bread is buttered, and appropriately puts zero effort into the game. And that attitude is unlikely to change, considering that when they have a public Q&A session, not a single person thinks to ask about any of the myriad and fundamental flaws already in place; instead it's all about what crap they can squeeze out next.

So yeah, this couldn't possibly be more disappointing news as a Newcromunda player. If Games Workshop's policy is to stay the course and keep pushing out garbage to add to the heap, I don't think my policy on what to do with that garbage will change either (yar har).

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I dunno. as someone who has purchased 0 things from N17 on, i’m kinda looking forward to seeing what they do with the Ash Wastes. I’m speculating that Ratskins/Nomads will be merged into Techno-barbarians of some type, my hope (based on the spectacular work of some fine Yaks making gangs) is these techno-barbarian-nomads will be divided into clans based off animal totems (Rats, Crows, Snakes, etc.), and that there will be vehicle rules.

Nullius

Nov 25, 2019
Yeah an imperial citizens kit is an extremely smart idea. It would probably sell even better than enforcers because of the amazing potential for conversions and bespoke units in Necromunda, Killteam, and 40k. For years I’be wanted to do a civilian militia army for 40k. Plus it’s an excuse to go completely nuts design-wise. Like the gobbapalooza box. Each hover can be wildly different. And give
How crowded give cities are supposed to be, necromunda tables can often feel pretty deserted.

Reactions: Mr. Litotes

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
if anything for this, i’d wish for two sprues of civilians, with six males on one, and six females on the other. Each representing non-gang fighters from each of the Houses.

i’d think they’d look similar to the gangs, only more subdued. For example, Goliaths would be muscular, but not as massive as the gang fighters. Escher wouldn’t be as flamboyant... maybe no bare midriff and less-peacocky hair (males would be super skinny). Van Saar could look like the original models but with less armor-like bits. Cawdor in “homespun” and no masks/hoods. Orlocks would be more like coveralls and boots or maybe jeans and t-shirts. i’m guessing Delaque would be goth-punk...skinny jeans, puffy shirts, floor-length skirts.

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
I would also be happy about some hive human inhabitants with males and females. Maybe some hive nobility too.
And I also like their personal ideas.

I did not know if it's allowed to link the pictures directly, but on Twitter you can find some pictures of the great Necromunda Dark Uprising Diorama:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/necromunda?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=hash

Last edited:
Reactions: Nullius

Deckard_2049

Ganger
Nov 20, 2017
California
So long as there is a squat on any hivers sprue i'd be happy. Tbh though ash wastes don't interest me much. It seems like it would be too much of a spinoff gameplay wise. I'd rather them not wasting resources on vehicle kits when all the house gangs still need stuff like the stig shambler, spyker, cats, all sorts of other things. They are in too much of a rush to do new things when everything they've already released is half baked in terms of sculpts. I'd rather not see more books and rules, as it's already becoming overwhelming as it is. Maybe 1 new book like the book of ruin per year, but this year we got 3 different books behind the much needed compilation books in december.

Reactions: andrewedwardbrown