£55 IKEA Gaming Table

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Evening Yakkers,

So today I decided to do away with my old 6x4 gaming table and make something a little more storable and cool looking.

Using 3 of these at £15 each; https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/linnmon-table-top-black-brown-00251343/

And 1 pack of 4 of these at £7.99 from Amazon;

Ive built this;

Which is just awesome for the effort! So easy to make and because the things designed to be a table you don’t need to worry about bracing MDF to stop it warping etc, in fact I bet you couldn’t buy the materials to make this for the price when you factor in time (I know I’ve built a few before).

@Tiny needs credit for the IKEA idea, I just added the pull latches to make it a lot more stable on top of smaller dining tables.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
The build was really easy I just knocked up this marking jig, marked the table edges and after double checking predirlled the screw holes for the pull latches.

You can buy any pull latches but make sure they have a width of less than 35mm and have a screw pull latch - this helps correct any errors in marking and drilling, it also means you can get a tight fit without damaging anything.

You are drilling into a section of the table that is solid by design because it’s where the table legs are usually mounted.

You could also mount them on the underside at the edges if you wanted a neater finish, I didn’t so that I didn’t have to worry about what the board sat on.

Edit - I’m now regretting that last decision, with my setup that would have hidden them nicely for alternate uses, see Mrs Troll comments below.

Edit 2 - In fact that won’t work you’d have an open edge so it wouldn’t be as strong at the join and would open up if you put weight on it.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Want temporary legs as well? IKEA has you covered at a very reasonable £5 per set;

I don’t need these for my current set up, but for £30 I’m tempted they’d stack for storage and you could set up anywhere. If you do go this route there’s also nothing stopping you going for a 8x4!

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Conclusions;

The only drawback I can think of is that these are 120x60 so you aren’t quite 6x4 foot, you’re approx an inch off on the 6ft side and and 3/4 inch on the 4ft side but I can live with that.

IKEA even make a green version of this table top! I suppose IKEA is a bit evil empire but we buy from GW so I’m ok with that as well.

Edit - Mrs Troll just asked why didn’t I go for Oak Veneer to match the table, we could then use it at Xmas etc....a hobby first! My last attempt is consigned to the garage.

I’ve pinned the thread because I hope this helps others with this frequent wargaming problem.

Love the Troll

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
@CaptainDangerous Lol the IKEA experience is much better in Covid they give you a car park bay number and a time and someone brings you your order no need to enter the store. Drawback is no food but I’d pay for this service post Covid, hate the place!

Edit - I should just add I was going this weekend anyhow to buy the daughter a desk for home schooling, just in case anyone is concerned about me breaching lockdown for a non essential journey.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Thank Gork they’ve changed their methods since the last time I tried going there. Drove there just after the first national lockdown and was greeted with a spiralling queue I’d estimate at around 300 people deep. At 10am on a Friday.

• Haha
Reactions: ClockworkOrange

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Yeah I had that experience when I went to buy the other daughter a desk in lockdown one, our sunroom/extension is set up like a proper school room now with a row of cheap desks to keep them at it. Conscious we are very lucky to have the space.

Reactions: Tiny

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
I bloody love it!!

My mate made a table from MDF with bracing that had side connectors too, not as flash as yours but they work. In his case he had a little frame underneath which allowed it to sit perfectly on his dining table and not move anywhere.

This looks very cool though and the black is a nice neutral that - say you’re using a mat for a game that’s smaller - you can have cards, dice and models sat in that space outside the playing area.

If only there was an IKEA near by. 😢
I’d also have to find a place to sit two whole table tops for the 90% of time they’d not be used. That aside... excellent packable table solution @ClockworkOrange !!

Reactions: Tiny

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I’d also have to find a place to sit two whole table tops for the 90% of time they’d not be used.

They fit neatly down the side of most wardrobes or drawer units or behind a door or under a bed. Two of them stacked would be around 4" thick. I have 4 tucked behind the door in my living room. You can't even see them unless you shut the door.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
The IKEA experience around here is a bit like an X-Files episode. You drive into a dimly lit underground parking garage where you exchange data and papers, before you are assigned a parking space and told to wait. Then several people in heavy protective gear come to your car, fill it up with mysterious boxes, and a gruff man in a respirator asks "You know how to use these, right?" you nod, you leave. You begin to doubt your answer the moment you leave.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Are you going to paint them? Maybe a lovely shade of sumpy warehouse floor on one side, and goblin green on the other?

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Nope, you could but I don’t need to, all my stuff sits on top.

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Champion
Mar 6, 2018
Tübingen, Deutschland
A very good idea.

It could be that I might take it over. I have calculated that two little Linnmon table tops with 100 x 60 cm would make a gaming area of 100 cm x 120 cm.

If I attach decorative strips at least 0.5 cm thick on the longer side with 120 cm above and below, I would have a playing surface for 4 x 3 floor tiles (30.48 cm x 4 = approx. 121 cm). Great.

ClockworkOrange

Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
A very good idea.

It could be that I might take it over. I have calculated that two little Linnmon table tops with 100 x 60 cm would make a gaming area of 100 cm x 120 cm.

If I attach decorative strips at least 0.5 cm thick on the longer side with 120 cm above and below, I would have a playing surface for 4 x 3 floor tiles (30.48 cm x 4 = approx. 121 cm). Great.

Yea I’ve been thinking that you could make up the extra inch or so lost on mine with something attached to either end - ooh er etc

Edit - just googled it - if really bothered you could add some 30x30mm black corner upvc trim to each side so that you’ve got 6x4. For me it’s the same for both players so don’t think it’s worth it.

RonBSM

The Upside Down Troll
Tribe Council
Mar 26, 2020
Port Talbot
Yea I’ve been thinking that you could make up the extra inch or so lost on mine with something attached to either end - ooh er etc

Edit - just googled it - if really bothered you could add some 30x30mm black corner upvc trim to each side so that you’ve got 6x4. For me it’s the same for both players so don’t think it’s worth it.

To be fair, the inch either way shouldn't get in the way of the games. As long as everyone has decent terrain, the distance isn't going to make the difference between the winning and the losing much like the occasionally rerolled cocked dice doesn't bother anyone.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange