Necromunda 6mm Hive in the Box (3dPrint)

Sordit

Ganger
Feb 17, 2011
Germany
Hey there.

I just read the "Hive In A Box"-Threads and decided its a GREAT idea to have a mobile mini-version of Necromunda. I go on a trip with a friend this weekend and I try to get it printed with my FlashForge Finder (Max. buildvolume: 14cm x 14cm x 14cm) before the weekend.

I go for a bit different approach: Just a top and bottom with removable walls. So I get a nicly filled area to play on. I already have a mock:

Bottom part (The boxes are placeholder for the max useable area for terrain):

I cutted the top part with the bottom to get the max fillable area:

Bottom and top part next to each other will make the playable area as a square:

Both parts will fit perfectly, if I use only the area of the boxes for terrain:

I will add scaled down warlayer (https://warlayer.com/) terrain over the week and try to print it.

My hope is to use 6mm-Minis as ganger-placeholders to play necromunda as a takeaway game.

Update: Pictures

Last edited:

Nucit

Ganger
Dec 18, 2017
Berlin
That is awsome. How do you plan to distinguish the idividual models? Colorcode or numbers at the base come into my mind. Will you add metal on top of the platforms to magnetize the minis?
If you magnetize, leave some room in the middle to store some additional small terrain to get some variety, it should be magnetized too.
Add a drawer at the bottom to store the minis and dice. Make it so, that it can be used for rolling dice.
Make cards for rules and gangers that fit the size of the mini board.

So much possibilities, so little time to do it myself, so go and do it!

Sordit

Ganger
Feb 17, 2011
Germany
Those are great ideas. My first throw will be without magnetizing, cause I want to use the warlayer terrain and I plan to have a first prototype printed this weekend.
The Drawer is a great idea. For the gangs I will have all I need online on yaktribe. :)

The room for modulat terrain will be there, cause I don't plan to fill all the boxes with terrain, cause it would be hard to move the models.
Its more like a limit where I will place the stuff so it will all fit in the box.

I indeed thought about a bit different models and/or color-coded.

Sordit

Ganger
Feb 17, 2011
Germany
That is REALLY cool. Will you sell it or share the files?
i will definetly share the tinkercad project, but I can not share/sell the variant with the warlayer suff, if it works. But I will post it to Andrew to see see what he thinks.

I already tought about the walkways. I will leave most mixed for for stability, but some to connet the bottom and top or somewhere else is a good idea.

Reactions: Sethmerlin666

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
In Memorium
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
yaktribe.games
You can edit posts by clicking the small yellow Edit button in the bottom left of the post, though there is a chance it is not yet available until you are a ganger. If that is the case then after however small number of posts you should see it pop up.

The 3D models look great! There is this thread on 6mm Necromunda and this one on 6mm Space Hulk you may have already seen that might be inspirational... and I could have sworn I saw some Epic scaled Necromunda elsewhere but it escapes me.

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
It’s normally 10 posts, so you’re almost there. A couple of cheeky short posts should get you there in no time.

Ha ha, now I know I'm getting old, when I saw those 3D prints the first thing that went through my mind was "hey that's cheating!" and then "No it isn't you old coot!" :p

Really cool stuff, I look forward to seeing it all fit together.
Will you be printing your own 6mm figures or will you be buying them?
If your looking to buy them I recommend checking out http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/
Great service and a large selection of models( both his own line and other manufacturers).
Also, if you email him he's usually willing to make custom packs for you so you don't end up having to buy 10 packs of 30 miniatures just to get those 15 poses you want.

Always happy to see more 6mm love on here :D
Cheers,
Stroezie.

Ps: If you're looking for some more inspiration you can check out my 6mm stuff here https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/nanomunda-sump-canals-painted.6114/

Sordit

Ganger
Feb 17, 2011
Germany
Ha ha, now I know I'm getting old, when I saw those 3D prints the first thing that went through my mind was "hey that's cheating!" and then "No it isn't you old coot!" :p

Really cool stuff, I look forward to seeing it all fit together.
Will you be printing your own 6mm figures or will you be buying them?
If your looking to buy them I recommend checking out http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/
Great service and a large selection of models( both his own line and other manufacturers).
Also, if you email him he's usually willing to make custom packs for you so you don't end up having to buy 10 packs of 30 miniatures just to get those 15 poses you want.

Always happy to see more 6mm love on here :D
Cheers,
Stroezie.

Ps: If you're looking for some more inspiration you can check out my 6mm stuff here https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/nanomunda-sump-canals-painted.6114/
Wow your Mini-Hive look pretty nice. :)

Cause I need them this WE I will print them. But maybe I will buy some cooler Minis.

Sordit

Ganger
Feb 17, 2011
Germany
This night I printed a playfield with warlayer terrain:

Next steps:
  • Print the 6mm gangers
  • Print small flame- and blast-templates
  • Get it a bit all painted a bit
  • Print a box to fit it in and maybe, if enough time, print another playfield that fits on the top of the box when closen like in the prototype
    The current playfield is nearly a square, but I would have more variation and a totally different playfield to play on
Fun fact: The Mini has a bit metal glued to it and I modded a ballpointpen with a magnet. You push the pen with magnet out to grab a mini and place it anywhere on the board. Then you release the back of the pen to release the mini when the magnet retracts into the pen... :)