N18 A couple of questions about Hive War and getting back into the game

hivefleetmanticore

Jun 14, 2021
Greetings, Yaktribians!

I'm just getting back into Necromunda, so I thought that I would prevail upon your wisdom. I played the game when it originally came out in 1995 (I still have my beloved Delaque gang). Recently, my wife and I picked up the Hive War set because we thought that it might be fun and because it has both the Delaques and my other favourites, the Eschers, in it.

Realistically, we're unlikely to play campaigns, but more likely to do skirmishes from time to time, so I'm guessing that the sensible thing to do is to start with 750-pt gangs and work up to 1000?

Out of interest, I worked out the gang rosters for the figures as they are presented in the rulebook, and came up with the following:

Delaque: https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/the_dark_citizens.190064/

Delaque: https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/the_venomous_poisons.190063/

As you can see, they come out at 1340 (Delaque) and 1190 (Escher) pts respectively. I also noted a couple of apparent issues:

One of the Delaque leaders (whom I named Fade) appears to have four weapons, when I thought that the maximum was three.

One of the Delaque gangers (whom I named Harm) has a grav-pistol, which is not listed in the Yaktribe gang generator (though it is in the Hive War book). For the sake of the list, I replaced it with a grav-gun, though that's a special weapon, which means in theory he shouldn't be able to take it.

Am I missing something?

My other wider question would be what you wise people might suggest as good, balanced, but enjoyable (not munchkiny) builds at the 750 and 1000-pt mark, using the components in the Hive War box (two sprues of figures for each gang, which I believe are identical to the contents of the gang boxes that one can buy regularly).

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Have you built the models yet or are they still on sprue?

you might be able to make some better load outs if they aren’t yet built, and there are a couple of load outs in the “standard” builds for each gang that aren’t very good.

It’s also worth asking here if you have any appetite for converting (and any other models to convert with) Pyle if you want to stick with what is on the sprues?

MysticWolf

Juve
Nov 15, 2020
Greetings, Yaktribians!

I'm just getting back into Necromunda, so I thought that I would prevail upon your wisdom. I played the game when it originally came out in 1995 (I still have my beloved Delaque gang). Recently, my wife and I picked up the Hive War set because we thought that it might be fun and because it has both the Delaques and my other favourites, the Eschers, in it.

Realistically, we're unlikely to play campaigns, but more likely to do skirmishes from time to time, so I'm guessing that the sensible thing to do is to start with 750-pt gangs and work up to 1000?

Out of interest, I worked out the gang rosters for the figures as they are presented in the rulebook, and came up with the following:

Delaque: https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/the_dark_citizens.190064/

Delaque: https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/the_venomous_poisons.190063/

As you can see, they come out at 1340 (Delaque) and 1190 (Escher) pts respectively. I also noted a couple of apparent issues:

One of the Delaque leaders (whom I named Fade) appears to have four weapons, when I thought that the maximum was three.

One of the Delaque gangers (whom I named Harm) has a grav-pistol, which is not listed in the Yaktribe gang generator (though it is in the Hive War book). For the sake of the list, I replaced it with a grav-gun, though that's a special weapon, which means in theory he shouldn't be able to take it.

Am I missing something?

My other wider question would be what you wise people might suggest as good, balanced, but enjoyable (not munchkiny) builds at the 750 and 1000-pt mark, using the components in the Hive War box (two sprues of figures for each gang, which I believe are identical to the contents of the gang boxes that one can buy regularly).

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D
The grav gun is what it was considered previously, but grav pistol is what it is as of hive war for delaque if that makes sense. Essentially, the grav gun is being switched to grav pistol when the House of Shadows book arrives. Which is still a while away

MysticWolf

Juve
Nov 15, 2020
The grav gun is what it was considered previously, but grav pistol is what it is as of hive war for delaque if that makes sense. Essentially, the grav gun is being switched to grav pistol when the House of Shadows book arrives. Which is still a while away
That was worded terribly, I mean the "grav gun" thats on the base delaque sprue is being reclassified as the grav pistol, which makes sense with it's size. As per the hive war equipment list, it may be that in House of Shadows the grav pistol replaces the grav gun for the delaque house list entirely.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Same thing with lasgun/meltagun combi for Van Saar (2018). It was switched to laspistol/meltagun combi in House of Artifice (2020) and stayed as laspisol in Hive War (2021).

Curious to see whether house of shadows will have both grav gun & pistol, but probably just the pistol.

This is a sign that the authors don't know exactly what's on the sprues, and it took 2-3 to update it.

hivefleetmanticore

Jun 14, 2021
Thank you all very much for the input and clrifications. We haven't built the models yet, and we're not afraid to do conversions if necessary, so any suggestions for favoured load-outs would be welcomed. :D