ORB A Growing Populace (New Minis WIP)

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I went to the FLGS to hunt about for a mini to use as the distiller for YakComp 37, but I had to do it on the sly so my Yakwife didn’t find out. I didn’t find anything for the comp, but I did uncover a couple of old Warzone Imperial Headhunters. I already have a few as bounty hunters, so $2.95 each I figured I’d pick them up snd maybe make them into a full gang.

the main problem with them (and why I most likely skipped over them in the past) is that they are both literally holding a head in their left hands. Decent left hands are few and far between in my bits box. And they’re metal minis (boxes say they’re white metal). One I’m pretty sure I can remove with my jewelers saw with little difficulty. The other one is tight to the body.

Once I get my hobby space back together (destructive, climbing Yakling had discovered my stuff) I’ll find that saw and maybe get some pics. Although this is not helping my Comp progress at all...

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Some pics. Both are still WIP.
Both hands are leftovers from the Space Marine Scouts box. The fit better than I thought they would. These guys are fairly beefy. Definitely “heroic” scale. Flagellent hands were way too small.

As most of the headhunters are geared for close combat, I decided to beef this guy up with an ORB era Goliath shotgun. The left hand with the head is going to come off, but I want to find a replacement first.

Pagumb

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
Those headhunter models are beefy and pretty cool with nice expressive faces. Good pickup.

I imagine the shotgun fellow not throwing a ninja star but vigorously asking who in the hell is shooting small saw blades at him. Please paint a thin cut on his cheek or temple when it's time.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
So, as if I didn’t have a big enough backlog of stuff I don’t do, I added more to it. I’ve honestly pretty much written off GW miniatures at the moment as they’re seriously too expensive for this dad of many Yaklings. So in decided to look at another manufacturer I like. I saved a bunch of listings on eBay to look into, and the seller sent me offered discounts within seconds (it seemed). I agonized a bit, and picked these guys up to add to my Grymn gang (Hasslefree minis). Bonus: they’re Metal.
9DB3A02C-3923-491B-8813-37233EF0E098.jpeg

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I don’t hate greenstuff anymore, but I’m still not a fan of it. I played with it a bit more tonight (mostly filling gaps on slottabases) and here’s the results. I added a second layer to the original greenstuff on the guy with a flamer in an attempt to make the hood look better. I’m thinking “good enough” at this moment...
E53F9B55-62C5-4F27-9218-193038F6263B.jpeg
FB4949D5-CE68-4239-84FB-45B9B5934217.jpeg
FF110B66-FFC5-4804-B133-B59437847755.jpeg

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I agree with @cainex1 that these look rather thick. I'd certainly be wary of adding a second layer for that reason.

I've never used green stuff myself, but I believe you can add folds by blending in small sausages of green stuff, without adding a whole extra layer.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Yeah, I think the second one totally looks like a helmet. It didn’t look like it was that thick... but then again, I didn’t remove all the pipes and stuff going into the mask, which i probably should’ve done... once it’s fully cured I’ll try to file it down some I guess. I just wonder how much can be done since it’s a plastic head underneath. Ah well, it’s a learning experience. Besides, This was one of the heads I was going to replace anyway. I probably should have gone small and just tried to eyepatch that 3x lense-side of the mask. But I always seem to end up with loads of extra greenstuff...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mutant Modifier

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
But I always seem to end up with loads of extra greenstuff...
Pretty common occurrence around here as well... If I've got a lot I usually form a sack or a sand bag or something, and store it for later. There are actually a couple on my latest comp entry. If it's just a little bit I do an elongated shape, tapering towards one end. Going for a skinned rat type of shape. There's one of those on the scavvy food cart as well, and I've got a dozen around for when I get to my Hive Guys build.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Yeah, like @MedMos suggests, you should find something that you need like sandbags or small rocks or something and use leftover greenstuff for that. Even just roll it into a ball that can be used to fill later projects. Or, if you're someone who regularly fills in slots on bases, you could keep bases handy and use it for that.