A Mordheim video game has just been announced!

Oct 28, 2013
Crystal Lake, Il, USA
www.facebook.com
I still play the bloodbowl one from time to time (the orignal un-updated version on my 360!).

I also enjoyed the dawn of war games and the fantasy one that was a bit like total war (I know, different makers, but still)
Blood Bowl I really did enjoy for my 360 (although I have heard some criticisms on the control scheme on the PC version). Dawn of war as really good, but I was not a big of Mark of Chaos.

vorticone

Juve
Oct 17, 2013
Würzburg
Some bits and pieces from an interview with the lead designer. Link to full article at the bottom.

#####

Strategy Informer: So Mordheim will have both singleplayer and mulitplayer, could you tell us what we can expect from the campaign?

Bruno Parenteau: We do have a campaign, that's for sure. We're not ready to disclose any information on it yet, but that will come very soon. But there is a campaign.

Strategy Informer: Okay, so how about combat?

Bruno Parenteau: So on the tabletop game, players would play their entire warband at once, and then the enemy would do so. We decided to move away from that, so every unit has an initiative value, and based on how you build your unit and your equipment, you'll play your units in a specific order. So it will alternate between you and the enemies, and it will go on until the turn ends.

Strategy Informer: Speaking of factions, which ones will make an appearance in the game?

Bruno Parenteau: Right now we've got four factions that we've unveiled, which are the human mercenaries from the Empire, the Skaven, the Sisters of Sigmar, which are a special group that exist only in Mordheim, and then we have the Cult of the Possessed, which are basically mutants. All factions from the original boardgame.

Strategy Informer: Can you play as each of these factions in the singleplayer, or is that only the Empire?

Bruno Parenteau: We are still debating when we'll reveal everything about the campaign. So we don't want to commit, but we have plans, that's for sure. Every warband will be playable to some extent in both campaign and multiplayer.

Strategy Informer: Okay, so what about the maps and levels we'll be fighting on? Is there both an exploration mode and a combat mode?

Bruno Parenteau: Well we have two different map types. We have maps that are pre-set for the campaign, so in the story we have those where we control everything. And then we have the maps when you go wandering in the city, those are generated procedurally, so you never fight in the same map twice. So basically this will bring you different advantages and disadvantages, and different ways to explore the city. In multiplayer, if you're the type who wants to know every inch of the map, you can use those campaign maps that are always identical, but if you want more of a challenge you can play with procedural map and you''' never never how the layout will turn out.

Strategy Informer: Is there anything else you think players will be excited to see in Mordheim: City of the Damned?

Bruno Parenteau: This game will be as fun in the campaign as it will in the multiplayer, because that's what the tabletop game is about, playing with your friends. This is important: we're not just making a singleplayer campaign, we're making a cool campaign and a very cool multiplayer mode, and the setting is hardcore both in city itself and in what happens to your squad.

Strategy Informer: Do you have any future plans for other games in this universe, or other ideas you'd like to add to Mordheim?

Bruno Parenteau: The possibilities are endless, right now we're really focused on Mordheim because that's what we're trying to bring to the player as best as we can, but yes, we're always keeping an eye on the thousands of possible projects in this universe. Because everything is doable! So we'll see what the future brings, but right now we're focusing on Mordheim.

(Source: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/mordheimcityofthedamned/500/interview.html)

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Thanks very much for the link and the info! had completly missed this when I last did my search for any updates

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Yak Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
I'm still syked for this, I just hope they'll do different hights properly. I WANT walkways at 5 storeys high and stuff like that. A game of Mordheim without options for Diving charges is not a game at all.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I would expect a minimum of 3 high buildings, The bit that worries me is the change of turn set up. But I'm sure they'll have it worked out properly...

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Yak Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
Yeah, just a matter of having faith. If they bugger it up, critisism might cause them to make a patch to make it turn based as we know it, but I'm sure they know what they're doing.

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
It's initiative based.... So it's turn based as long as you understand that each model gets a turn... and that turn is decided by it's initiative value. Which makes a kind of sense when you think about it. I can't imagine that it will be too hard to get your head around.

Reactions: spafe and Tulkas

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Ooo thanks for the update! I cant see a lot of gaming websites at work so regularly miss these sort of things.

Looks like the sisters are well rendered, and is that a prettyful rat ogre I see lurking back there!

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Yak Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen

spafe

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Excuse me one moment *steps outside* que girly squeel! *steps abck in* ahem. I am very very excited lol

Warlock with a pegleg sounds fun. Anyone have any guess what they might ahve added for the sisters warband?

The cult is looking grand from the screenshots. Little worried about the campaign lacking some depth, but tbh its early days and what they showed for the review might not have covered it well. I remain very hopeful!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tulkas

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Yak Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
I merely see the Campaign as something to keep you occupied while you wait for your mates to get off work. Would it be playable by all our factions ?

vorticone

Juve
Oct 17, 2013
Würzburg
Me personally, I am putting a lot of hope into the campaign. Not really looking for another online multiplayer game at all.
I don't mind occasional multiplayer games with friends, but less and less friends play online, and with me traveling so much, I rarely get the chance to be online at the time they are.

Reactions: spafe

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Yak Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
Well, if its a big enough hit, we can always hope and ask for extra content. Not just warbands (witch hunters and dwarves for me) but also new areas of the city. That, or a map builder.

Reactions: Nevie and spafe