N18 A New FAQ

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
Culemborg, the Netherlands
Is that new? Why isn't it coloured font!??
Whoever updated the FAQ last apparently did not understand how to use these colours, as it says

All new text is highlighted in magenta, and deleted text is highlighted in blue .

Which obviously refers to new text and deleted text in the FAQ itself. Instead, for the HoC/HoB changes, they used it as blue = text to be deleted from the rulebook, magenta = text to be added in the rulebook.

And even then they forgot to do that consistently elsewhere in the FAQ!

In any event, you can't see what's different from the previous FAQ without comparing the two files directly. As someone who writes change documents for instructions on the semi-regular, rather aggravating - clearly a rush job.

Spiro Dotgeek

Oh look, it's coffee time
Sep 8, 2020
Wellington, NZ
Well, I guess its nice that the FAQ exists BUT like a lot of FAQ, I imagine many players will never think about going to look for it or actually use it. Sorry to say but that is most likely the case outside of an organised group that will enforce things. So there will be many (particually younger players) out there using Escher boltguns with a 4+ and they have a rulebook to back it up.

Totally agree. I never bother looking at or for them. Glancing over this FAQ, I just thought, "that's too many fiddly little changes."

The only exception I think was Warmaster where the FAQs were written in the same font and style of the rulebook so you could print them, cut them out, and paste them in over the original text.

Ideally (IMO) they'd release something like the General's Handbook or the Chapter Approved annually with updated rules and points. Or like they've done with Aeronautica Imperialis, each new box set/book has a current version of the rules.

Reactions: GQuail

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
I'd mark up the tables at least but I hate defacing books, apparently even erroneous ones... It feels wrong. That said most of the HoC errata are things like Bolter Am 4+, that we know is 6+. Whilst a FAQ is nice for confirmation we kinda already knew. Ditto powerknife, though in my head they meant to add Poweraxe and just won't admit it.😞

Last edited:
Reactions: Spiro Dotgeek

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Ideally (IMO) they'd release something like the General's Handbook or the Chapter Approved annually with updated rules and points. Or like they've done with Aeronautica Imperialis, each new box set/book has a current version of the rules.

The last thing we need is them to release more books. They'd just fix some things and break others.

Coenus Scaldingus

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Apr 29, 2018
Finland
I'd mark up the tables at least but I hate defacing books, apparently even erroneous ones... It feels wrong. That said most of the HoC errata are things like Bolter Am 4+, that we know is 6+. Whilst a FAQ is nice for confirmation we kinda already knew. Ditto powerknife, though in my head they meant to add Poweraxe and just won't admit it.😞
Didn't the previewed additional Escher weapons include a power axe? Wouldn't surprise me if they change it up again once they sell a dedicated bit for it. Belladonna already has one too...

Jayward

Ganger
Aug 4, 2020
The last thing we need is them to release more books. They'd just fix some things and break others.

I'd rather that they did what a few other game systems have done and simply release the core rules online as a living document. They could leave house lists and campaigns out of it so they can still sell their 'House of...' and 'Book of...' stuff, but it would be a much better way to edit the core without needing 5 more books every time.

Reactions: Ben_S and CaptnM

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
Didn't the previewed additional Escher weapons include a power axe? Wouldn't surprise me if they change it up again once they sell a dedicated bit for it. Belladonna already has one too...

Yes, and there's an Escher art Poweraxe in the book. So much more Escher than power hammer. Let the Goliath's and Orlocks have the hammers I want axes for my girls...

I'd rather that they did what a few other game systems have done and simply release the core rules online as a living document. They could leave house lists and campaigns out of it so they can still sell their 'House of...' and 'Book of...' stuff, but it would be a much better way to edit the core without needing 5 more books every time.

My main experience outside GW is FFGs X-wing and they do exactly that. FAQs update the established ruleset. However buy-in is based hey also have a separate points system that gets updated periodically. Though that's more as it has a competitive scene.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Yes, and there's an Escher art Poweraxe in the book. So much more Escher than power hammer. Let the Goliath's and Orlocks have the hammers I want axes for my girls...
Exactly! Weird change of direction going from power axe to power hammer.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
GW won't even let you access rules you've already bought for free digitally, there's no way they'll put any core rules online.

I wish each book had its own FAQ (they could have their own tab on the community site) that they were serious in updating it and clarifying changes.
Even better if they took some pride in this amazing game and hired a proper technical writer and editor.