A question on base size

Mar 19, 2020
Melbourne
Hi Yaktribe,

I recently watched the Mad Max films and fell in love with the aesthetic. I enjoy model making and painting miniatures, so Gorkamorka seemed right up my alley.

Anyways, I bought myself a box of boyz to make a mob and my question relates to base size. I understand that the game was originally played with oval shaped bases. As the game is nearly 30 years old (!?) and times have changed to 25mm and now 32mm round bases as standard, my question is - how should I base my miniatures?

I understand that bigger bases means less space for Boyz on vehicles, so I am tempted to put them on 25mm bases. However, I do think that the miniatures look better on the larger bases.

How do others that play the game base their miniatures?

Cheers!

Reactions: Aulenback

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Hey Alligator in a vest! Welcome to the tribe from me!
iv got a bunch of boys ready to make for gorkamorka (got them in shadow war armageddon), and my plan is to cut the ridge bit of the bases away so that they become a flat disc. That way, in theory, when they are all in the back of a trukk they should be able to squash up abit better!
hopefully some yak comes along with a better solution, but otherwise I hope that helps! (I’ll probably copy what you do!)

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'm afraid this is really one of those questions where the only answer is 'however you like' (perhaps with a qualification of being acceptable to any likely opponents, but they're probably not too fussy within reason).

Larger bases get in the way a bit, but you can either (a) overlap them when necessary and/or (b) assign 'carrying capacity' to your vehicles that needn't depend on actual space.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
and my plan is to cut the ridge bit of the bases away so that they become a flat disc
Save yourself some time. Buy some of Renedra’s 25mm (or 30mm) flat plastic bases (which are usually bundled with historical minis).

Else, as above, clip your own unique out of 1mm plasticard.

Honestly though to @Alligator in a Vest above, the new minis are hulking beasts compared to the slim models actually made in the 90s for Gorkamorka so you’ll have to scale everything up. Originally they came with 25mm bases. 32 probably suits the new better.

If you want to use them solely in GM then a more GM friendly base may be better, else use the ones they came with.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020
Melbourne
Thank you for your replies everyone. :)

I like the idea of using flat disks for bases, so you can glue them to other bases later and pile more models in trukks. I'm probably not going to use them in 40k, so I'm flush for choice. I've got a bunch of 25mm bases both in gw and historical style, so I might just have to see what feels right on the models.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
If you're in the UK, 2p coins are pretty much perfect size for 25mm bases and cheaper than many alternatives. Some people like the additional weight too.

A while back, I managed to get a lot of plastic replica coins (used for schools or similar) that actually worked out less than 2p each. Haven't managed to source those again though.

Kon-rad

Gang Champion
Nov 11, 2014
Nagoya, Japan
I usually use illustration or book board for my bases. I cover them with that little bit of left-over putty from the day's sculpting project. I work so slow, I usually only need a base or two every couple of months.....
I also often magnetize my figures and rig them up so I can take them off the base entirely and stick them on the vehicle. Some in the forum will call me names, but it's for aesthetics and not game advantage. I promise!

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
As others have mentioned, larger or smaller base sizes each come with advantages and disadvantages which in each case largely balance off, so “what thou wilt” is pretty much the whole of the law.

Flat disc 25s? Sure! Cheap as you can make ‘em (though coinage does have a 1980s historical cachet).