A tabletop game I remember - But what was it?

Daniel36

Ganger
Mar 5, 2018
Heerhugowaard, Nederland
Hey guys,

Been a long while since I last logged in on here, but since this is the only forum I still somewhat frequent, I figured I'd drop this question here. Also, I promise I will post some updates on my Necromunda stuff soon. I did a lot.

So I am looking for the title of a tabletop miniature game I remember having, but I cannot remember the name. Also, the memory of this game has amalgamated with my earliest memories of Warhammer Fantasy, so my memory can't be trusted entirely.

What I remember of this game is a couple of things. It was an all in one box. It had miniatures of knights. I believe one side was made of red plastics. The other may or may not have been blue. Not sure if it was fantasy or medieval. I can faintly remember archer miniatures too, akin to the Bretonnian archers, but I might be mistaken. I also faintly remember the miniatures being on stands that also had a flag? It must have been for sale somewhere in the late 80s to early 90s.

The one standout feature I do remember was the large hexagonal map, made of foldable plastic sheet. On it was a medieval battlefield. It was probably mostly green, with probably a river in the middle. That's really all I remember.

Is there anyone that has an idea what game I am referring to? You have my eternal grattitude.

Cheers,
Daniel

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Sounds like that Milton Bradley game…. Back when they did joint stuff with GW…

Edit: was it Battle Masters?
0DF0C134-D04D-409E-88B8-CAE44D5F57C3.jpeg

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Yeah, likely to have been Battle Masters. I was finding it's knights on ebay when I was looking for bits for my Reiksguard.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Definitely sounds like Battle Masters. A friend had it when I was little, but we never played it as the mat was massive (or seemed massive at the time) and we weren't allowed to take up most of the free floor space to put it down.

El Torro

Juve
Jan 5, 2015
Slough
I remember buying / playing this before I even knew what Games Workshop was. Little did I know the rabbit hole I was going into…

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Iv still got the plastic keep and have grand plans on recreating the game using alternative minis! (E,g. The ogre will be a troll etc.)
31BCED4A-ED8F-442F-BF7F-620401970C97.jpeg

Daniel36

Ganger
Mar 5, 2018
Heerhugowaard, Nederland
Ah yes that was the one!! Thank you so much! Man, you guys are a treasure trove of information. I see now there was also a Dutch version, "Ridderstrijd" (Knight's Conflict) which is probably what I had seen.

Awesome, thank you so much! Time to head down memory lane!

Reactions: MedMos and Stoof

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Battle Masters Miniatures are quite collectible now and you frequently see them in people’s armies!!

It was a great deal back in its day, that’s when GW knew how to make a cheap starter set and even convinced some other company to do all the manufacture and marketing for them!!! 🤣

Of course we all brought more MB Games stuff after these, no-one moved over to Games Workshops Games at all, oh no. 😉

Daniel36

Ganger
Mar 5, 2018
Heerhugowaard, Nederland
Yeah, I noticed that I had one of these models a while back. I think someone gave me a Mordheim Bertha Bestraufrung for it. Pretty sweet trade!

Can anyone tell me how wide each hexagon approximately is in centimeters? I am trying to decide if I want to make a 3d board like this with hexagons.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
According to Wikipedia they were almost 8 inches (20 cm’ish)
Would love to see this happen! Have such good memories playing this!