A Tourist's Guide to Underhive Sights and Scenery

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
yaktribe.games
I was hoping this topic could spawn some input on some fitting terrain pieces, ripe with character, that would seemingly appear right at home in the underhive. I've had a few ideas but it would be interesting to find out what would and would not still exist down beneath Hive City. Bars and strip clubs seem appropriate, but would a movie theatre? What kind of storefronts? I figure the easiest way to do this would be to break down terrain ideas into sub-categories:

- Homesteads
- Businesses
- Industrial
- Government buildings (???... maybe guilder homes, precinct houses, churches etc)
- non-buildings terrain (rocks, mushrooms, crystals, archeaotech, etc)
- PWA (power water air, aka various tubes and pipes)

Would there be metropolitan-style apartment complexes or shanty towns? Can a hiver survive off selling anything other than basic supplies, alcohol, weapons, or drugs? How much of a presence would the ruling houses have in the underhive aside from gangs? Municipal-style buildings? Anybody ever tried making a pit fighting arena? How many tunnels, wires and pipes are too many (if its even possible ;D)?

If you've had any terrain ideas for Necromunda you feel are stand-outs, share'em... I for one would love to steal your creative ideas ;)

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
yaktribe.games
My first main project is a Redemptionist Cathedral. I would lump this in with Government/ Municipal buildings (in the totalitarian Imperium of Man there is no seperation of church and state ;)). It is made mostly with CoD pieces and has corrugated cardboard for roofing. It is semi-demolished to allow easy access inside and deny occupants total cover from outside fire.

The next two I am planning are a small shop with a living space above. This would be a two story building with a business and a homestead combined, with access to the roof by means of a ladder to the back porch of the homestead and another to the roof. It would be maybe 8" wide by 12" deep and the interior would not be accessible. The other is a transformer station, being industrial, and is inspired by the scene in Total Recall (where Quaid and Melina use the hologram to fight off the security forces around the pillars). I have 6 mini generators maybe 1" x 1" that are the same height as a miniature: these will provide ample cover spaced evenly on an elevated platform about 10" x 10" with a ramp at each end. Industrial pieces seem to be the easiest to imagine in the underhive, there's no real shortage of options for them...

I am concerned that the majority of the buildings are going to end up being semi-destroyed to allow placing models inside, and was wondering if there are ways around this (stacking floors being one option)...

SpectrarGhost

Ganger
Sep 9, 2011
Blood Donor said:
I am concerned that the majority of the buildings are going to end up being semi-destroyed to allow placing models inside, and was wondering if there are ways around this (stacking floors being one option)...

The three viable options for accessable buildings for me are:

1) Ruined. Like CoD.
2) Intact - Board Edge. If the building is built to go on the edge of the board, the fourth wall can be left off.
3) Intact - Open Floor Plan. The orginal Necromunda Scenery falls under this heading. Hives are warm; there's little need for a strict division between outside and inside. Thus you have a building that is mostly floors, with structural elements like pillars or thin 'screening' walls for cover or privacy.

Also the areas you would fight over are not settlements - they have no need to have any habitations at all. Think about fighting in a modern aircraft factory, without any production going on.

Reactions: Ben_S

scarper

Ganger
Feb 20, 2011
Edinburgh
It's worth bearing in mind too that some of the areas in the underhive probably started off further uphive - a few hundred / thousand years ago they might once have been really nice places to live, as far as hive life goes. Hive quakes and pressure from construction higher up are supposed to collapse domes and force them down all the time, so you could have a slum or a fine apartment dome; an underhive arms workshop or the remains of a munitorum. Any of it works!

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
yaktribe.games
I was watching Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations last night and he was in Cairo... I liked the craziness and congestion of the city streets there, some of the feel could lend well to the over crowded and over populated underhive. I had always perceived it more as a slummier Tokyo under a dome, Blade Runner minus the constant rain sorta thing. I want to build terrain with architectural character without relying on the neo-gothic feel that CoD, and most of the Imperium, seems to be modeled around. I want hovels, shanties and dilapidated 4 story (which feels and looks tall for a 1'x1' foot print) skyrises amidst the air conduits. The scenario PDF for Dust Falls on this site outlines dust storms as a potential form of weather, which would add well to the desert style metropolitan buildings of the Arab world...

I hope to accumulate at least 20 1' x 1' terrain pieces, roughly half being industrial. The others I would like to be interchangeable with any of the industrial pieces, at home at the brink of civilization and at the heart of the Favela-style slums...

talk about trying to have your cake and eat it too ::)

Reactions: TakUnderhand

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
Have you read any of the Necromunda novels? You can get omnibuses from Black Library now:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-4 ... bus-1.html
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-4 ... erico.html
and the Space Marine starts on Necromunda when it was still confrontation:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-4 ... arine.html

They would all have some inspiration. One thing to actually contribute from the books is one scene had a lot of piping kinda like in the final act of Akira or some of the underground stuff in Full Metal Alchemist. Not a business per se, but still good for the Underhive. The opening Underhive scense from Salvation had a scene on a street just past the gates to the upper hive. Speaking of which, the gates to the upper hive would be a good scenery piece, but perhaps only at table edge.
I also think the factory scenes from Enemy at the Gates would be a very good setting for Necromunda as IG stuff has a very WWII feel to it and Necromunda is an industrial planet, but that might be better as a whole table.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
yaktribe.games
NICE!! I've been looking for some reading material lately. I have definitely been thinking of the Akira elevator as a potential piece, a 2'x2' corner complex with a tower heading upwards to hive city acting as (as you so eloquently phrased it) a gateway to the upperhive. I'd purchased a Cadian Heavy Weapons set a ways back and have been dying to get fixed gun platforms involved somehow, and this elevator complex to Hive City is the only thing I could see using mortar emplacements, a last chance effort to stop an advance which could breach the upper hive.

Just finished a pub/bar with a second level of apartments on top. The bottom is (CoD measurements :p) 3 sections across the front and (the equivalent to) 4 sections across the side of the lower level, and 3 by 3 on the upstairs with a 3 by 1 balcony at the back. First use of a 90mm PC tower fan, me likey...

Has anyone ever attempted some type of train tracks on their terrain board before? It would feed the Industrial element and give great scenario opportunities, I just don't know if railway line is too big to have anything on a 4'x4' board other than a 4' straight section. If it were elevated... extra drool factor hehehe

SpectrarGhost

Ganger
Sep 9, 2011
Do you own Codex: Cities of Death? There's a rail line there (ostensibly maglev) that would look right at home on a necro board. A straight section is probably your best bet, though a 90 degree turn that went corner to corner around two edges of the board would also be nice. Brownie points for powering either and having a train run back and forth on them. :)

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
yaktribe.games
^^ I do not own the codex, I have read it (unless its been updated, the version I read had the IG against Chaos Marines as the example battle, IG predated plastic Cadians so I doubt it was the same, also I do not recall a railway)... could I be speaking of Cityfight and not CoD??? Meh... I am thinking of a railway that is essentially:

- 4' x 6"
- 6" high
- a couple removable railcarts
- a tunnel entrance using PVC tubing and rocky crags (carved up styrofoam, of course), maybe a few favela style shanties up the banks
- staircases on either side at two locations with the stairs on each respective side opposing the direction of those on the other side (ie two on the topside face left, two on bottom side face right)

It would play well with a refinery piece that could be placed beside it with a conveyor belt or crane as if to load railcarts with da goods...

Bit of a pipe dream at this stage, but something I've contemplated for sometime...

SpectrarGhost

Ganger
Sep 9, 2011
Yeah, you're thinking of the Cityfight Codex, not CoD. The CoD book has a fantastic maglev line in it. I'd actually recommend the book as a source of inspiration for urban terrain, completely independant of the rules.

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
yaktribe.games
Just acquired the CoD Codex, definitely some beautifully crafted buildings in there. Whats best about that Mag-Lev example (IMHO) is the use of PC fan grates on the ground under it. I have 4+ of those and was intent on working them in somehow, they look so professional in the Codex example. What else was helpful was stratagem pieces... guess I will be making some Archeaotech pretty soon :p

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
yaktribe.games
Fistmas was really good in the acquisition of random garb that can make nifty terrain:

A cousin of mine got a 1 litre can of German beer and let me keep the can, with a few tallboys beside it it will make a nice 6"x1' multilevel platforming piece... also the plastic pieces under deodorant caps are going to be used atop the nicely shaped cardboard insert a digi camera came in for a generator station.

Also, through work my dad received a 100 dollar Canadian Tire giftcard which was kindly regifted my way, so PVC conduits and plumbing piping are a mere shopping trip away. I've been putting hard thought into the mag-lev idea, if I can get a train to relative scale which can make a 90 degree turn within a 18"x18" area than I might go ahead on the idea. If anyone has knowledge of cheap toy trains which would fit in this scale lemme know...

So as it stands the terrain I have developing at a slow rate will be primarily industrial with some characterful hab-blocks and businesses (hardly legitimate ones 8)) spliced into the mix...

If I can a)borrow and b)learn how to use the digital camera that donated its packaging to the generator station I will get some WIP pictures up onto an appropriate thread...

By this time Phanta Claws is on a beach somewhere outside the ash wastes...

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
yaktribe.games
Aside from the slow pace of painting details on a cathedral (which has literally been a 7 month back burner project :eek:) the terrain projects have been getting the shoulder a bit... I plan on having a couple 4" or 5" diameter 90 degree angle plumbing/ electrical conduit pieces on 6"x6" to act as tunnel entrances... any ideas on how vent entrances can be achieved? My only thought is the same plumbing angle piece atop a 6" or 9" tall piece of straight tube plumbing/ electrical conduit piece with a platform infront of the what-would-be exhaust duct.

SpectrarGhost

Ganger
Sep 9, 2011
Have an inverted U-shaped pipe section something like:

Code:
 ______
|   |

with a break in the middle for models to climb out of?

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
yaktribe.games
For venting I decided to go with 90 degree plumbing elbows, 3" diameter, and put a platform out the mouth of each. There would be various heights, probably 9", 12" and 15" at the highest. The upside-down "U" with the drop down in the centre would be a good idea but I am concerned about amount of material for numbers of vent openings. Tunnels, easy enough, are going to be floor level vents ::). I decided to skip the 2nd floor height, 6", for a vent to impose a mandatory creation of height in the terrain placement phase.

Another goal I have laid out is 3" tall 1'x1' and 2'x1' ground risers with ladders, tunnels and fans (PC fans) around the sides. Most of my buildings are either 25cm x 25cm or smaller, and as such the base of the riser at the 3" height would be 28cm x 28cm (30cm = 12" roughly) so as to allow alleyways between two ground risers if put together yet still allow alleyways between buildings placed on top of the risers. Just an attempt to create an uneven ground level. The 1'x1' and 2'x1' dimensions are dictated by the sheets of plywood I have been getting from Micheal's, a thin Baltic Birch (?) sheet manufactured by Revell. There was a beauty sale so I grabbed more than a few. They have been my basing platforms for all buildings as well as my 5cm wide catwalks of various lengths.

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
yaktribe.games
I had at one time posted a thread on Eastern Fringe about graffiti, and received much insight on how not to have terrible, hand painted attempts at giving the dwellings of my sector of the underhive some urban flavour. The best approach I concluded was to print some off the 'net, cut them out and glue them on buildings, and then paint over them for a more "continuity-favouring" look. I have decided this will also be my approach for billboard and business signs. I was wondering if, based on measuring the dimensions of the area I want to cover, there was a way in Word or whichever program to know the dimensions of a picture before I was printing. This is probably much simpler than I anticipate but if anyone could, without telling me I'm an idiot ( :D ), give me some direction... I really like the idea of a drab and bleak underhive landscape detailed with brightly coloured artwork...