Abhuman races

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
The imperial citizens were confused. Marching down the street were a bunch of strange creatures. They didn't look the same as themselves. Were they aliens?
The citizens knew very little of the greater galaxy. Their work as adepts of the ministratum meant that they were aware life existed outside of their own planet, but they never experienced what an 'Ogryn' or a 'Ratling' were. Now their planet was under risk of invasion and preceeding it was the arrival of reinforcements. This was the first of many painful and unwanted adjustments that they will have make, but paled in comparison with what will happen when the enemy begin falling onto their insular bubble.

I am curious about what other human races could exist in the 40k universe. Especially ones that could lead to creative modelling projects. Below is a list from the 40k lexicanum.

Human
Human species

Humans
Beastmen
Felinid
Ghilliam
Hullghast
Longshank
Neandor
Ogryn
Pelager
Ratlings
Scalies
Space Marines
Squats
Troth

We could add to this list Scavvies, Trolls and genestealer hybrids. Is there any illustrations out there of the lesser known species? And you want to add to the list?

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
This is also the available info on some of the lesser known species from the 40k lexicanum website. Some are just a not in the back of 40k rulebooks.

The Felinids, also known as Homo Sapien Hirsutus, are a recognized strain of Abhuman within the Imperium. They are restricted to the world of Carlos McConnell.

Ghilliam are human mutants, caused by irradiated or polluted voidship decks. Looking like sickly and crazed men, they are furtive scavengers with a pack mentality. Whether outcast, victim or fugitive, to become a Ghilliam is to leave humanity forever, descending to depths from which there is no return. Haunting the dark spaces and abandoned holds of great vessels, these debased, insane mutants are carrion eaters that subsist on whatever meat they can find and aren't too picky as to how they get it. They are dangerous and clever vermin and are exterminated mercilessly whenever possible

The Hullghast are mutants found aboard voidships. They share an origin with the Ghilliam, as both types are created by irradiated or polluted voidship decks. They have hairless, leathery skin, vicious talon-like claws, oversized mouths filled with layers of huge teeth, pustules of flesh erupting in tusks, and horns. Unlike the Ghilliam they are far more aggressive, and prefer feeding on crewmen that go too deep below decks; when unable to do so, they feed on each other.

The Longshanks, also known as Homo Sapien Elongatus, are a recognized strain of Abhuman within the Imperium[1] and reside on worlds with low levels of gravity. In appearance, the Longshanks are bald with very pronounced eyes and have unnaturally long legs, when compared with baseline humans. Orin's Well - Overrun by the Ork forces of the Warlord known as The Beast. Afterwards thousands of Longshanks were taken by the Orks as slaves to work on Attack Moons. At the battle over Terra during the War of the Beast, Longshank slaves were at once executed for their impurity by the Black Templars who "freed" them.

The Neandors, also known as Homo Sapien Hyannothus, are a recognized strain of Abhuman within the Imperium. They are restricted to the world of Hyannoth IV.

The Pelagers, also known as Homo Sapien Oceanus, are a recognized strain of Abhuman within the Imperium.

The Troth, also known as Homo Sapien Verdantus, are a recognized strain of Abhuman within the Imperium. They are restricted to the world of Verdant.

Reactions: Tiny

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
I hate to think what will happen when scavvies come out in the new necromunda. I think a lot of players who are eagerly awaiting it will be very disappointed with what they do background-wise regarding scalies.

Reactions: Tiny

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Navigators are also an abhuman/mutant semi-stable species. They often don't get remembered to be included in those lists, since their social standing is different from Bestmen, Ogryns, Ratlings, and Squats. Space Marines are NOT a stable-breeding species, though, so not really "abhuman," more just "post human."

Ghilliam and Hullghast are fantasy undead ghouls and ghasts, imported to 40K. The catgirls are from... one aside reference in the sixth edition 40K rulebook? I think? But wouldn't they just be a sub-set of Beastmen [Variatus]? The Neandors and the Verdantus are also given a single throw-away line each in that same 40K rulebook, and deliberately, carefully, no other reference to suggest what they might be like.

Other abhuman strains have cropped up in various sources, especially in White Dwarf #303:

Overview
The Imperium recognizes 73 stable abhuman strains, of which 46 types are now listed as extinct, with a further 12 suggesting they too have died out or been assimilated into the greater population. The status of the remaining 15 strains is an issue of constant debate within the Administratum's Tithes Chamber Notaries, sub. Planetary Census (Abhumans), the administrative body that deals with Abhuman affairs.[3]

In an Imperium where genetic mutation and spiritual corruption are often interrelated, abhumans are a focus of much controversy. In more liberal times under the Emperor, even markedly divergent abhumans such as the Beastmen could serve in the Imperial Guard. Since the Emperor's stasis however, only the lesser deviants, such as Ogryns and Ratlings, are considered Imperial citizens. However, they are still distrusted by the more puritan members of the Inquisition.

Imperial Guard armies may make use of Abhumans. These Beastmen (or Homo sapiens variatus), Mutant Slave Levies (ordinary mutant slaves rounded up for cannon fodder), Feral Ogryns (even nastier and more primitive than regular Ogryns), Nightsiders (originating from worlds of perpetual or near-perpetual darkness, little to no ability to see but perfect warriors for Night Fighting missions), Afriel Strain Soldiers (genetically engineered from DNA taken from great heroes of the Imperium, very unlucky and unpopular), Subs (relatively genetically stable but still hideously deformed mutant sub-breeds) and Gland Warriors (Imperial Guardsmen implanted with special organs and glands that secrete combat-useful chemicals, such as stimms and pain-killers).[5]

Afriel Strain
Main article: Afriel Strain
Afriel Strain soldiers were created during an experimental process, of which little is known about. It was an attempt to capitalise on the characteristics of the heroes of the Imperium's genetic material, using all the best traits which made them great. It was an attempt to create the perfect soldier, which failed. Afriel Strain warriors, for some reason, have the worst luck. Afriels are normally albino, with pale alabaster skin, pale hair and colourless eyes.[5]

Beastmen
Main article: Beastman
Beastmen (Homo Sapiens Variatus) are bestial abhumans combining the forms of animal and human. They were formerly recruited for the Imperial Guard, where they were valued mainly for their bloodlust; they fought for the Emperor in order to atone for their sin of being born mutants. They were led by Beastmen called packmasters. Beastmen are no longer seen in Imperial service; no doubt elements of the Inquisition convinced the Administratum that they couldn't be so radically altered from normal humans without being tainted by Chaos. Today, Beastmen are the subject of severe Imperial persecution and are hunted down by the Adeptus Arbites.[3][5]

Gland Warriors
Main article: Gland Warriors
Gland Warriors were created to fight invading Tyranids on the Forge World Dantris III[1]

Goliaths
Main article: House Goliath
Members of the Necromundan House Goliath, these freakishly large vat-grown warriors can pass a even a Space Marine in size. They also suffer from a variety of defects, most notably mental imbalances, slow movement and extremely short lifespans, thus, they are considered by many to be a classifiable strain of Abhuman.[4]

Nightsiders
Nightsiders descend from the populations of many worlds in the Imperium that live their lives in near, or sometimes complete darkness. Some planets are inhabitable only on their night side, because the opposite surface is exposed to the full force of the system's star. Other populations exist underground, because the surface of the world is entirely uninhabitable. Throughout the millennia, technology may have regressed due to ignorance, isolation, or natural disaster, and the population may have changed by design or by some accident of nature. Such populations are considered mutants by many, for they may sport bulbous eyes adapted to the dimmest conditions, or they may in fact have only vestigial eyes and enhanced senses that compensate for near or total blindness.[5]

Ogryns
Main article: Ogryn
Ogryns (Homo Sapiens Gigantus) evolved on cold, high-gravity prison planets. They are huge and stupid but extremely loyal once introduced to the Imperial Cult. It's even said that those who fought as rebels in the Horus Heresy only did so because their superior officers lied to them about which side they were on. Ogryns are used as shock troops, wielding heavy automatic shotguns called Ripper Guns, which can be used as clubs. They tend to be claustrophobic and thus are difficult to transport in Chimera APCs. They are led by Bone'eads, who have undergone Biochemical Ogryn Neural Enhancement so they're not quite so stupid.[5]

The issue of Ogryn classification is one of the most contentious within the Administratum's Abhuman department. This complex strain is currently listed as seven distinct types (Alpha, Theta, Type IV, Type VIIa, H.S. gigantus gigantus, H.S. gigantus Cranopus, and the mysterious Grey Ogryns). Many within the department believe that many of these classifications are all separate types, and another revision of strain classification is required.[3]

Ratlings
Main article: Ratling
Ratlings (Homo Sapiens Minimus) are the smallest type of abhumans, serving as snipers in the Imperial Guard, although this role is becoming less popular now that pure human special weapon and light infantry squads are fielding marksmen as well. Ratlings also serve as cooks, a skill they no doubt learned in order to feed their own stomachs. They also tend towards kleptomania.

Scalies
Main article: Scalies
The Scalies of Necromunda are a relatively stable type of abhuman though not quite as stable as Ogryns for example. They are tall and broad reptilians with legendary strength and durability. Among the people of the Underhive they have a fearsome reputation.[2]

Slave Levies
Many worlds harbor an oppressed underclass of mutant workers, beings whose continued existence is justified to the Imperium only by ceaseless toil. Whatever quirk of genetics gave rise to such mutants will have been exacerbated by generations of backbreaking labour, exposure to hazardous environments, and filthy living conditions. The results are malformed creatures, deemed entirely impure by the authorities of the Imperium and fit only to serve as slaves. However, a certain level of natural selection is often at work in such populations. Thus, mutants, though misshapen, are tremendously though and resilient.

It is not unknown for such mutants to be levied by the Munitorum to go to war and fight for the Imperium that hates them so. Drafting mutants is normally an act of desperation on the part of the Imperium, for the teachings of the Ecclesiarchy hold that it is the right and responsibility of the pure to fight the foes of Mankind, a tenet that certainly does not apply to mutants. A mutant force will often be accompanied by a great many Preachers, extolling the mutants to acts of sacrifice in order to atone for their sin of imperfection and attain a measure of the Emperor's forgiveness.[5]

Squats
Main article: Squat
Squats (Homo Sapiens Rotundus) originated on high-gravity worlds towards the galactic core, making them short and tough. They seceded from the Imperium during the Age of Apostasy. They are said to have been mostly been wiped out by the Tyranids.[5]

Subs
In the Imperium, there are mutants that, although of relatively stable genetic stock, are so misshapen and physically abhorrent that they are forced to live entirely separate from mainstream society. Hiding their swollen faces behind filthy shrouds, these creatures form an invisible underclass, forced to live in the unpopulated wilds of the Imperium's worlds and frequently the subject of brutal pogroms by zealous preachers keen to purge the impure. Such mutants are often forced into criminality and soon become easy prey for those who would whisper the lies of the Ruinous Powers. The Imperium has, on occasion, used such creatures as soldiers. However, they were treated as expendable and not expected to survive their first engagement. It's little wonder then that such beings turn to the Dread Powers, of Humanity considers these wretched creatures far less than human and has rejected them entirely.[5]

Other recognized Abhumans within the Imperium are:[3]

Troths (Homo Sapiens Verdantus)
Longshanks (Homo Sapiens Elongatus)
Pelagers (Homo Sapiens Oceanus)
Felinids (Homo Sapiens Hirsutus)
Neandors (Homo Sapiens Hyannothus)

Sources

1: Inquisitor Resources: Inquisitor Rulebook, Part II, pg. 19
2: Necromunda: Outlanders Rulebook, pg. 25
3: Warhammer 40,000 6th Edition Rulebook, pg. 404
4: https://necromunda.com/gangs//
5: White Dwarf 303 (UK), "Chapter Approved", "Abhumans".pg. 40-45

Edit: While I have tracked down 302 and 304, I have not yet tracked down my copy of 303. I remember that abhumans-in-the-guard article. I own it. That issue is likely (a) in one of the boxes in the back basement storage, and (b) from a period when I was separating out pages into separate duo-tang binders based on system. So I may or may not be able to really reach it any time soon.

Edit redux: Have a look at https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/96059-new-abhumans/

Edit AGAIN!: https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1494/11/1494113272762.pdf - not the bulk of the fluff from that article, but the rules and summaries from it.

Edit edit edit edit: Gland Warriors... would be a fair representation of Bile's "gland hounds"?

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Here is a chat log on Dakkadakka about Troth and Neandors.

It suggests that Troth are plant people and Neandors are space cavemen.
Yeah, based on "Verdantus" being fecundity, and Neandor sounding vaguely like Neanderthal. But the "bastard latinized" name for the Neandor isn't "Neanderthalensis," it is "Hyannothus," which means either "living" or "snake" depending on what language-of-origin you choose for it to be a reference from. Since the other "abhuman" strains in the 6th ed book all rely on the vulgar latin names to give their hints, most likely that one does too. So more likely "plant people" and "snake/reptile people" to go with your "cat girls" in the sixth edition rulebook. Essentially, then, all variations within "variatus."

Reactions: Biggle_Bear

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Wanna see some cool abhumans? Check out @IntrepidMutt ’s Savage Order album. There is some seriously cool work going on in there.
They look cool. They look like D&D elves if you ask me.
The catgirls are from... one aside reference in the sixth edition 40K rulebook? I think? But wouldn't they just be a sub-set of Beastmen [Variatus]?
That would be a the logical thing to do but suggesting that cat people exist likely is good for marketing (it works on me 🤗). Their planet is called Carlos McConnell so I'm guessing there is a GW employee called Collin McCarlson who is a cat lover. :LOL:

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Snake people you say. Hmmm. I have snake people models that I always wanted to use on a project, but they look more like an alien race than abhuman.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Their planet is called Carlos McConnell so I'm guessing there is a GW employee called Collin McCarlson who is a cat lover.
Ha! Or, of course, who loves anime catgirls.
Wow. Even a superficial Google search of "Carlos McConnell" turns up only references to the planet full of anime cat girls.

Oh, and one guy on Linkedin. From New Mexico in the USA.

Snake people you say. Hmmm. I have snake people models that I always wanted to use on a project, but they look more like an alien race than abhuman.

Well, Scalies, for example, might suit that fake latin name more than the Ssssssssllythhhhhh would.

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I thought they were anime elves or maybe TankGirl rippas until they pointed out the feet.

I dunno about that guy Carlos, but there’s also HyperPolice, Cat Planet Cuties, UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie, Show by Rock, and a brand new one about a cafe filled with cat-girls (Nekopara)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021
There's also Nightsiders (Homo sapiens tenebris), a nocturnal abhuman strain that may range in appearance from the precursor species from Prometheus to Skyrim's Falmer.

Liber Xenologis said:
Having evolved on worlds or parts of planets shrouded in darkness, Nightsiders have a variety of particular attributes including echolocation, tapetal reflexes which allow them to see almost in total darkness, chemiluminescence which enable them to "glow", and heightened olfactory and auditory senses. As a result, they are sometimes used in Imperial Guard Regiments for use during underground or night operations. However their physical attributes (including oversized eyes to no eyes at all, colourless or transparent skin, luminous appendages, etc.) have made them reviled and mistrusted by the very people they seek to serve.

Also less discussed is the wide variability of even what's considered "baseline" human in 40k. Deathworlders like Catachan and Kanak tend to lean far closer to Ogryn status than most (Necromundan Goliaths may also count), the entire population of Cadia consistently develop purple irises as part of some quirk possibly linked to their proximity to the Eye of Terror, and whilst I've yet to see any written description of Nocturne's people beyond the Sons of Vulkan I wouldn't be surprised by them having a striking resemblance to WoW's Dark Iron Dwarves in ashen skin pigmentation at the very least.