Almic85’s general hobby plog

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
So with less than a day until yakcomp 37 closes and me having a slow day working from home I thought I would kit bash / convert a prize fighter for my Orlock gang.

it is mostly made up of a chaos cultist that has hadhis weapons removed, arms repositioned, de-chaosified, and having his head replaced.

Now to get some paint on this bad boy and hopefully get him finished in the next 2-3 hours.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Alright then I got some colour on the prize fighter and I think he is ready to be entered into yakcomp 37 alongside my bullet merchant.

Some WIP photos and a final photo below.

Edster

Ganger
Dec 26, 2018
Nottingham, UK
@almic85 this is such a great conversion for the prize fighter! It's exactly what I wanted to do with mine, but I couldn't figure out the resources and pose. I prefer yours ;) Great work as always mate!

Reactions: almic85

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
@almic85 this is such a great conversion for the prize fighter! It's exactly what I wanted to do with mine, but I couldn't figure out the resources and pose. I prefer yours ;) Great work as always mate!

Thanks. I was originally going to replace the right arm with the more bent arm you see in the first picture, but after I looped both the arms off to sort out the repose I realised the more outstretched arm actually really fit for someone facing to their left so went with it.

I normally do a few different poses using blue tack in lieu of green stuff first until I find the right position for all the parts. Then once I’m happy I will clean up any of the parts to fit better and glue them into place and finally I will fill in gaps with green stuff.

Of course if you are removing a whole joint you can always replace the whole part with green stuff, but I find that if you do that you really need to pin things in place as the green stuff isn’t great for holding glue.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
So with yakcomp 37 done and me running an Orlock gang in my current campaign I am thinking that I should make some of the Orlock special scenery.

I am thinking of making 1-3 of each of the promethium barrels, shotgun booby traps and shotgun servitors.

For the barrels I intend to make a large 3” base to mark out their area of effect as well as the bullet riddles barrels themselves.

Similarly for the shotgun boing trap I might make a larger base to mark out the area of effect and then a token to sit on top of it.

The servitor gunners will need to be kitbashed to look like crash test dummies crossed with scarecrows holding shotguns or autoguns.

If anyone has seen anything similar I would love to see them.

Reactions: Unslain and Mr. M

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Reactions: Unslain and Ben_S

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Had the day sick off work so put together three of the new Primaris bikes.

Got to say i wish they had just built them in two pieces instead of the 7 pieces they come in (plus 6 more for the rider). They are a real pain to build (and are going to be even worse to paint) and still feel rather flimsy for something that looks so chonky.

Reactions: Space Truckin

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
I think I am going to call this Cursed City and the never ending box of plastic wrap...

1761C942-3AD0-469A-BC99-5EFAF7449E72.jpeg

Reactions: Crazy Ivan

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
So I started building cursed city and decided to start with the big bad guy, Radukar the Wolf.

I figured these are all meant to be push fit for ease of assembly by board game people, as opposed to serious hobbiers, but Jesus Christ this model is horrible to put together.

It’s fiddly to put together, you have to really listen for that plastic snapping sound to know that the joints have gone together, and if you don’t quite line up a piece you need to disassemble the whole fragile thing back to that point and hope you get it right.

Not only that but it has a really odd design choice in that his hand doesn’t actually come out of his sleeve.

I think I’m going to have to cut all the guide pegs off every piece just to assemble this shamozzle!!!

anyway here’s a picture post assembly (and with added plastic glue!!!)

CB9A72CA-8394-4CBB-BFAC-08B7FC523AD1.jpeg

Unslain

Gang Hero
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
It may or may not help with assembling the rest of the set, as I haven't tried it on cursed city specifically, but I find that chamfering each peg along one side makes a huge difference to the ease of building push-fit models. I remove about a quarter to a third of the peg's end with a pair of clippers, sloping them away at around a 40° angle along the length of the peg. I find I don't get nearly as much resistance as a result and is far faster than shaving each peg down slightly like I used to do.

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
It may or may not help with assembling the rest of the set, as I haven't tried it on cursed city specifically, but I find that chamfering each peg along one side makes a huge difference to the ease of building push-fit models. I remove about a quarter to a third of the peg's end with a pair of clippers, sloping them away at around a 40° angle along the length of the peg. I find I don't get nearly as much resistance as a result and is far faster than shaving each peg down slightly like I used to do.

The cursed city models aren’t like some of the other push fits that GW put out. I have also just finished putting together all the space marine models from the command starter set and they were pretty simple to put together and aligned.

The cursed city stuff needs some parts to sit snugly in other parts while you clip a third part in place, then a third part to the loose third part.

Here’s an example of two of the more annoying builds being Radukar the Wolf and Glaurio van Alten III.

For Glaurio A37 has to sit loosely in place until you clip A36 on from the other side, but if either piece is not perfectly aligned then it leaves a gap when you put A38 in place. If that happens then you need to pull A38 off without it bending or snapping to readjust A36 and A37 and try again.

BF8D5D8A-0BB0-476A-AEED-C6389D945384.jpeg

For Radukar you need to slide B2 loosely into the hole in B1 then try and clip B3 onto both B1 and B2 at the same time without B2 coming loose as you can’t just push it back in. Again if you miss with B3 and B2 doesn’t insert fully you need to prise B1 and B3 (which fit very snugly) loose without damaging either piece and try again. It took me about 5 attempts before I could get them all to sit properly and I still think the arm isn’t in properly.
CD5AFBA9-68AA-4F9E-90C0-C54E037C76DD.jpeg

Still after all that I have all the heroes and the main bad guy assembled. There is one more fiddly model, being Torgillius the Chamberlain, then the rest of the enemy models look pretty simple.

11CB1E75-5DAE-4E13-AFC7-3E28C4F63058.jpeg

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Oof. I thought the rest were going to be easier but they are just as fiddly.

EBC25329-7106-46D8-8DE2-AD55DFC49F60.jpeg

still got all the minions and gubbins left to go so
10 zombies
10 skeletons
6 rat swarms
6 bat swarms
2 hanging skeletons
2 grave stones
2 crows on pillars
2 imps
2 cat zombies

Yay!!!