Anime Corner

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK

New BR anime, 'Black Lotus', from Shinji Aramaki and Kenji Kamiyama - given Kamiyama's role, I am rather excited for this. But I wonder if it will go beyond traditional - admittedly orientalising - cyberpunk ideas, or just kind of embrace them? It does look quite different from 2022 (which in turn felt closer to SAC in style, for example, or the Animatrix in style and content):

-

Also has anyone commented on the anthology of Star Wars anime forthcoming:

Such a range of creators!!!

EDIT: Is there a reason embedded youtube videos aren't working on Yak today?

Gunkaiser

Spyrer Superior
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
No Eva? Hard pass.
Honestly after playing MX (which also had RahXephon) more Eva just doesn't seem to add much to Super Robot Wars games (doesn't help that I'm old school and am not up on Rebuild whatever.0, as my $99 Suncoast eight DVD boxed set can attest). Used to be you had to keep the bloody things within X distance of your motherships and got your EN replenished every turn but now it's easy mode and everyone's got an S2 engine.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
So far I’m sticking with Girlfriend Girlfriend despite the protagonist being so cringe. Not because it’s great, but because it’s not Isekai. Nearly half of the new or continuing series are Isekai….

Drug Store in Another World is the weakest of them. I was waiting for the new season of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime but it may have gone too far with power creep. My Next Life as a Villainess has the main character being a doomed villain from a video game, so that’s a twist. Tsukimichi - Moonlit Fantasy is pretty standard. Seirei Gensouki: Spirit Chronicles had the protagonist uncertain if it’s an Isekai. I’m Standing on a Million Lives has the characters popping back and forth into a game world which may or may not be an alternate reality.

Time travel to fix the past is big this season too with Tokyo Revengers and Remake Our Life.

To Your Eternity is an interesting fantasy setting. The Itaden Dieties Know Only Piece Is a post apocalyptic fantasy, Peach Boy Riverside is a take on the japanese legend of the peach girl. The Aquatope on White Sand is the only slice of life I’ve found. And Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid S continues the silliness of the original series.

And that’s just the stuff I’m watching on Crunchyroll…

Reactions: MusingWarboss

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
I’m enjoying Crunchyroll (for as long as it survives anyway)but man does it have buffering issues.

It’s the only streaming service that does for me.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I find that Crunchyroll’s build needs the latest tech. It kept cutting out on the old Firestick but worked fine on the Roku. We upgraded our Firestick snd it works fine now. My main complaint now is that when the latest episode finishes, the system keeps trying to play the “next episode” from a stream in Portuguese or German…

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
If anyone is still interested in the Madoka Magika Side Story, the first two episodes of the second season are out, and feature the original cast of characters.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
It’s not one I ever watched. Well, I’m not a big fan of the “horror” genre in general. Aren’t they “traditional ghost stories?

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
It’s not one I ever watched. Well, I’m not a big fan of the “horror” genre in general. Aren’t they “traditional ghost stories?
They are, they’re based on Japanese folklore.

Much different animation style than regular Anime - which I think adds to the storytelling.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Summer season is nearly over. Last episodes should be this week. I’ve already seen two first episodes of the new fall season, and I wasn’t impressed, as both are Short series (about 6 minutes per episode) and both series are ecchi series….

Tokyo Revengers final episode was a “H@l# $h!*” moment. Especially as if I don’t know if there’s a third season. So it’s either a massive cliffhanger or a “omg that’s how this ends?!?” ending.

I did end up watching all of Girlfriend Girlfriend. I’m not sure why, though. I still can’t stand the protagonist.

Sonny Boy started out really cool, but then about midway through it jumped the shark and went into WTF Land. I don’t mind WTF Land (FLCL is one my all time favorites) but this is just… what?!?

The Detective is Already Dead went the same way, but didn’t sail that far into WTF Land.

The Duke of Death and His Maid, Life Lessons with Uramichi-oniisan , and Dungeon of Black Company I gave up on. I should’ve given up on Drugstore in Another World.

Edits: to fix titles and grammar

Last edited:

Gunkaiser

Spyrer Superior
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Hi Score Girl was more or less nothing like I thought from the blurb. Excellent blending of CG and traditional animation and exploring the nostalgia of 90s arcade/console games was really enjoyable (and then there's the strangeness of the deuteragonist never saying a word). Quite recommend every single Sonic Boom of it.

*goes off to build arcade cabinet*

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
The Fall 2021 season is under way. New stuff is dropping almost every day.

So far on Crunchyroll I’ve seen new or first episodes of:

86 Eighty-six (2nd season): classist dystopian future with mecha

Takt op.Destiny: dystopian future with aliens that hate music.

The Fruit of Evolution: Isekai centered on evolving on a fantasy world, but the protagonist is separated from his entire class because he’s an outcast loser.

The Night beyond the tricornered window: supernatural. One guy can see the dead, the other can clobber them.

Ganbare Doukichan: ecchi about a big bosomed businesswoman trying to seduce a xoworker

Tawawa on Monday: ecchi about frisky, big bosomed high school girls

Let’s make a mug too (2nd season): slice of life shorts about girls in a pottery club

Restaurant to Another World (2nd season): a Japanese restaurant has a magical door that allows people from fantasy worlds to come in and eat

Just dropped so I haven’t seen them yet….
The world’s finest assassin get reincarnated in another world as an aristocrat. (What a freaking stupid name. Isekai names are getting ridiculous)

Muv-Luv Alternative: looks like mechs based love stories or something

Continuing Summer series (started late, and only half way through)

Fena: Pirate Princess (kinda steampunk) fantasy in an age of pirates.

The Great Jahy will not be defeated: reverse Isekai. Fantasy world characters get stuck in our world. Very much like “The Devil is a Part-Timer.”

New stuff is also dropping on Funimation, but I have the free subscription so I have to wait a week to see an episode.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

Gunkaiser

Spyrer Superior
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Muv-Luv isn't particularly about love stories... IIRC Alternative is pretty much lovecraftian horror + Top Gun (which I suppose did have a love story in it). All mechs are based on aircraft.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Well, i did watch the first episode last night. It’s pretty dark. Reminds me a bit of Gunparade March so far. The mechs are pretty good. There was a hint of love story. I can see the “lovecraftian” in the enemies.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Over on Funimation they have:

The Heike Story (based on an old Japanese legend)
Mushoku Tensei: jobless reincarnation (season two)-Isekai- which I will be watching
Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut
Mieruko-Chan: supernatural-high school girl can see ghosts
Yashahime: Princess half-demon (2nd season) Inuyasha and Kagome’s daughter continues the story, which I will not be watching. First season bored me.
AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline (mecha)
Mute king the dancing hero: DJ’s save the world from monsters. Doubt I’ll check this out
Tesla Note: Tesla’s lost notes are contained in shards and agents have to recover them. Hmm.
Selection Project: idols.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainDangerous