Anime Corner

Gunkaiser

Spyrer Superior
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
I had kind've hoped they'd do bounties that hadn't been in the show, y'know, tell new stories instead of just remixing old ones. Having episodes be twice as long as the originals didn't help much either.

Big Shot worked surprisingly well, likewise Ein.

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
I've read that the anime Pierrot le Fou episode was also inspired by the style, look, and tone of the Batman animated series. Much of the show was riffing on genre, hence the very obvious Desperado homage or the brilliant Alien-like episode that didn't make it into the live action version.

Gunkaiser

Spyrer Superior
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Y'know, with the ~1hour format remixing Toys in the Attic and Mushroom Samba together could've been kind of awesome but they'd somehow have to have made Ed work properly and that was always going to be a tall order.

Reactions: cronevald

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
I also assumed someone called Edward would be male, I expect the forms telling me I've been cancelled are in the post.
Ed's gender is left ambiguous for the most part of the anime as she uses male-sounding alias (Radical Edward) and fake name (Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV). It's revealed towards the end (when we meet her father) that her birth name is Françoise. I don't think Ed is transgender (if memory serves, she doesn't object to her father calling her Françoise or using feminine pronouns) so it seems to be more of a case of Ed not caring about (or not understanding) this social construct. I'm honestly not sure what pronouns to use when refering to Ed, but I've a feeling she wouldn't give a damn either way. Ed's just Ed.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
It's made somewhat clear, but is easily missed, in the Japanese version of the Anime. In the episode where they take her on board, Faye mentions it in the last scene before the credits (have to rely on the subber though). This was used in the German translation, but if I remember correctly, the sentence is missing completely from the English version. But really, I agree, Ed's just Ed.

I had a friend, who studied history with an emphasis on Japanese culture, harp on at length about the specifics of how Japan treats these things and how it made more sense in that context and was somehow a significant thing, but I admit to having forgotten over the years.

Reactions: Thorgor

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Faye mentions it in the last scene before the credits (have to rely on the subber though). This was used in the German translation, but if I remember correctly, the sentence is missing completely from the English version.
Ah! Correct! I completely forgot about that line. And I've enough nihongo left in me to validate the translation.
It's also in the english dub btw (at least the one they have on Netflix right now). The french version even has Faye add "your parents could have chosen a more feminine name than Edward"

Reactions: SuboptimusPrime

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
I've read that the anime Pierrot le Fou episode was also inspired by the style, look, and tone of the Batman animated series.
It sounds very credible, at the very least. Pierrot is basically a costumed super-villain (tragic origin story and extremely-specific weakness included) and he does look like the Joker and the Penguin had a fusion-dance. Every outdoor scene takes place at night, and the final battle is fought in an amusement park.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I loved the original and expected to hate it going in (yeah, yeah). But I would’ve watched a second season, so I didn’t hate it. I liked John Cho as Spike. Didn’t think I would as he’s more of a comedic actor than action hero, but others have done it so why not? I thought Mustafa Shakir did alright as Jet, but he’s not physically massive enough. I understand the changes to Faye (no way that anime costume would work on a real human), and the changes to her storyline grew on me. I was disappointed that Ed was removed, but after that last seen I’m glade they left her out. Holy cats.

Visuals were great, ships were great, backgrounds were great. Julia’s new ending was well done. But yeah, Vicious received way too much new airtime. He’s not a member of the Bebop and should’ve stayed a shadowy background villain.

Wasn’t the whole bit about Kimmy’s present in a single episode? The one with the actual cowboy Cowboy?

I also thought changing the Searat virus to a terraforming substance was an interesting change.

Reactions: Thorgor

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
I also thought changing the Searat virus to a terraforming substance was an interesting change.
Same here! Episode 2 in general was so much better than the first one.

I think I went through the series a bit like this:

Episode 1: OMG, it's exactly as bad as I thought it would be
Episode 2: Eh? Maybe not that bad after all...
Episode 3: Eeeeeeinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Episode 4: nnnn iiiiiiisssssssssssssssssss ssssss
Episode 5: sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Episode 6: hhhooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Episode 7: uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!!
Episode 8: Pierrot, what did they do to you? :(
Episode 9: Vicious overdose x____x
Episode 10: Meh. Ok.

Reactions: Punktaku

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
I just know the new one would never be able to live upto this, so Im giving it a miss...

and in not quite anime, anime news. I watched Disney’s treasure planet for the first time today, at least, I atempted to. Not even Sexy Cat lady Captain Smollet could hold my interest!

Reactions: SuboptimusPrime

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
I just know the new one would never be able to live upto this, so Im giving it a miss...
This is actually why I was able to enjoy much of it. I knew it could never hold a candle to the original so I went in with very low expectations. I did enjoy a lot of it, mainly the banter and interaction between the three leads. I just hated every single bit of Julia, Vicious, and the syndicate. And those awful few seconds of Ed. I'm glad I watched it but I'm also grateful that there won't be a second season.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
So while waiting for the Winter 2021 season to start (first episodes are dropping all over the place now) I found a show called Yosuga no Sora: In solitude where we are least alone. Its kinda like Higurashi: When they Cry, where it’s a repeating story arc but with significant changes.

In this case, it’s ecchi instead of murder. And there’s no strategic light beams or steam clouds or silly product placement. High jiggle factor and loads of fan service. YOU’VE BEEN WARNED. (Or encouraged if you like that.).

Reactions: CaptainDangerous

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
If for some mad reason you've thought about inserting the Bebop crew as bounty hunters or npcs in a Necromunda game...

I can't find anything on the scale of the minis though. The only reason I know this exists is that Amazon really wants me to buy it.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
They're about 50-60mm scale.

Bebop_figs.PNG

Video here.

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
They're about 50-60mm scale.

View attachment 145675

Video here.
So you're saying I should build an underhive shrine to the crew and use them as statues. I mean, no, I would never do that. Would never even think of doing that, I swear.

Thanks for finding that. I looked a bit but couldn't find anything to show how big they are. The game does sound interesting. I think if I were more of a board game player I would pick it up.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
I've played Space Serenade (once). It's a pretty standard deckbuilding game, neither good nor bad.
I think it fails a bit as a 'fanservice' object though, as the cards really look ugly (to me, at least).

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
So normally I’m at work on Fridays, but I’m stuck home in quarantine…. I’ve watched all the first episodes for this new season already, so I decided to try out a “classic” I’ve never seen before. I was thinking of watching the new Evangelion 3.0+1.11 but at 2 1/2 hours I balked as my youngest is stuck here too (she’s too young for the vaccine). Instead I watched Ghost Stories. It’s a “classic” because it was a massive flop in Japan, and the English script sucked so bad they just let the voice actors wing it. And I must say, it’s hilarious. It’s wrong in all the right ways, with loads of “I can’t believe they just said that!” type humor. I ended up watching like 8 episodes, which is around the run time of this final Evangelion film. But no regrets!

If you aren’t easily offended, I recommend it (although I’ve only watched 8/20 episodes so far).

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
I've seen clips of the English dub and have always meant to check it out

As for Eva, is the rebuild now considered a classic? God I'm old lol