Any 6th ed players? Question on basing.

Luke82

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
Just a quick question for anyone with any experience playing 6th ed out there; how important is correct basing to the mechanics of the game? I can’t find a straight answer anywhere and asking on Facebook is just an invite to the cranks to grind their axes.

As a hobby returner I picked up AoS as it was what people were playing and though I find the stripped back mechanics fine i’m yearning for a bit more, and gather 6th Ed is suitable to the style of games i prefer. I’m going to rebase my Orcs (again) off their rounds back into square as they are pretty defunct in AoS anyway, but am dreading doing the same with my skeletons if I don’t need to. Would it really make a huge difference if they were still on 25mm rounds rather than 20mm squares if they were ranked up on a movement tray? It’d be for funzie games rather than any sort of tournament prep obviously.

Thanks for your time!

Sethmerlin666

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Jan 31, 2018
Payneham Road, Payneham SA, Australia
haven't played in forever, but i reckon if they're on movement trays you should be ok, you'll just need to be clear on how many are in each rank and facing, which the tray should do for you.
If people are bitchy about it they're probably the wrong people to play with!

Reactions: Luke82

Luke82

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
haven't played in forever, but i reckon if they're on movement trays you should be ok, you'll just need to be clear on how many are in each rank and facing, which the tray should do for you.
If people are bitchy about it they're probably the wrong people to play with!
Yeah I don’t think anyone I end up playing will mind, they’ll likely be in the same boat anyway! Thanks.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
hmm, I'd say it matters. for your orcs, you dont need to rebase, as the round base takes up the same edges if you rank them. so you'll still get the same frontage.

For your skeletons though, they should be on 20mm bases, not 25, meaning the round base hurts them as you get less models in the same frontage.

for the 'balance' (and I use the word loosly), you really do need to have the cheaper chaff units on smaller bases. I can go into more detail if you want but that would be my advice.

Luke82

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
I’ll probably stick with my Orcs then, as they will be rebased anyway and I have all the old squares for them still. Skeletons is a much bigger job so will leave them for AoS (for now!)

Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated.

Reactions: spafe

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
No experience of WFB 6th, but I'd agree that footprint and number of models matters. Having models on 25mm round instead of 25mm square isn't really a problem, but AoS generally saw an increase in sizes (20mm->25mm and 25mm->32mm) and that does cause problems.

Reactions: Luke82 and MedMos

Luke82

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Mar 11, 2017
Basildon, United Kingdom
No experience of WFB 6th, but I'd agree that footprint and number of models matters. Having models on 25mm round instead of 25mm square isn't really a problem, but AoS generally saw an increase in sizes (20mm->25mm and 25mm->32mm) and that does cause problems.
Yep my Orcs are on 32s at the mo, which is daft and takes up loads more shelf space than is necessary.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Yep my Orcs are on 32s at the mo, which is daft and takes up loads more shelf space than is necessary.
Ah sorry, I take back the lack of need to rebase your orcs then. I had assumed 25s. However, if your orks are on 32s and your skellies are 25s... they could still play each other and it would kinda work I guess. Although might make everyone feel really slow when they move lol

Reactions: Luke82

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I suppose the real answer is that it depends who you play with and where.

You could go down a 'Kings of War' route: make yourself a movement tray of the right size (e.g. 125mm wide for five* orcs). Place some orc models on it, to signify that it represents orcs. Use dice or other counters, rather than models, to keep track of how many orcs are remaining.

For about 90% of the time, that would be fine. You might have to fudge things a bit when attacked from the side/rear, to work out how many orcs would be in contact.

This is less convenient than having (correctly based) models, but less hassle than rebasing them. If you're only likely to play a very occasional game of 6th with friends, then it might be ok.

*Possibly you only need 4 for a rank in 6th edition; I'm not sure when that changed.

Reactions: spafe and Aulenback

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Agreed with the above.

For skirmish games, like AoS, Mordheim, Warhammer 40'000, Necromunda, etc, the base size doesn't really matter, as for single models the benefits and the detriments between differing bases sizes largely work themselves out.

For rank-and-file games, like WFB, Warhammer Historical, and so one, the base size matters, as it affects the entire unit, and some elements of that balance are deliberate [a row of five skeletons does not contact all of a row of five ogres, so not all the ogres get to fight, etc; also when it comes to maneuvering, the unit facing will affect wheels and pivots and such like].

Skeletons will generally be on 20mm square, goblins likewise. Orcs will generally be on 25mm square. There will be exceptions, though, in each.

Here is a base size chart that should help:

Reactions: Luke82 and Ben_S