Anyone interested in a Yaktribe meet-up?

Necroplayer

Ganger
Oct 14, 2012
Kentwood, LA, USA
Just wanted to see what peoples thoughts on a meet-up sometime next year? I was thinking a central location somewhere In the central U.S. for a trial run then possibly make this an annual event. Everyone could bring a few pieces of terrain their gang(s) and spend the weekend blasting away (mini campaign, prizes for best painted, etc.???) . It would also be awesome to have yacktribesmen from across the globe under one roof enjoying the (IMO) best game in the world- Necromunda! Would anyone else be interested in this?

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
I see now that you're from t'other side of the water from me.

If you should wish to make your own gathering you will need the following.-

Venue (Gaming Store/Public gaming venue/Venue Hire/Church Hall/Boyscouts Hut/Bar/resteraunt with event room - are all suggestions that i've heard while doing my research).
Food/Beer (I'd steer clear of the spirits).
Security [for larger events ... around 20 people ... Interesting Note:there's something about having over twenty men in the same room and giving them access to alchohol that seems to ensure that one prick will attempt to nick something if they have half a chance... I don't know why but over 20 people you'll need someone to keep an eye out] (for models, etc ... a cloakroom with coloured/marked bands and accompanying tickets and someone to keep an eye on them will be more than enough).
A bunch of gaming tables (the no.- of which would be size dependant)
Helpful people to contribute and bring scenery/Get making a whole bunch of your own (You'll need a lot).
Even help-ful-er people to help you organise, judge and arbitrate competitions.

Depending on the scale of your endeavour, you may need to be covering costs. I have been looking into ways to accomplish this and it has taken up a surprising amount of my time (ticketing wasn't something I ever got involved in when I was running events).

The best that I have found so far (and will probably end up using for the upcoming Yak-Kon [working title]) is a company called "Event Brite" who you can outsource your ticketing to ... remember that they'll take a % cut, so you may be able to shop around in this regard to get a better deal but they seem really reliable, so they'd be worth a shot.

In order to ensure that you are able to cover your costs, give plenty of time for people to respond to your "marketing" ... draw up fliers with the Yaktribe website and the ticketing website and some neat graphics to entice people in. Drop them into your local games stores. Advertise it on social media. Make sure that you get enthusiastic people to help you share your event amongst interesting sources (gaming clubs and shops often have their own forums dedicated to in-store/club gaming events calenders, etc ... failing that, they use facebook). This kind of Marketing is quid-pro-quo, so make sure that you get people interested in the shop/gaming club that's helping you advertise.

You might even ask them (the gaming store) for sponsorship to kickstart the event, though you will have to increase ticket prices in order to ensure that they recieve a kickback from the event.

In the event that you don't make it to our side of the pond for Yak Kon (date also tbc), I hope that this helps you on your way to creating your own Necromunda dreamland. I'm well on my way to mine. :)

Last edited:

Necroplayer

Ganger
Oct 14, 2012
Kentwood, LA, USA
Thanks for the response BeardLegend! You have lots of great ideas there! I've ben planning a genealogical trip to the UK one day. This might help me to decide when!

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
Okie Dokie ...

I had been planning for it to fall in October or early November but time has been less kind to me than I'd hoped and would be hard pushed to launch now and get the numbers in.

Instead, I'm thinking of announcing for early next year. Perhaps April? Though I haven't decided yet. We could go this year but I don't think that the catchment would be enough, as I haven't left people with too much time to book time off/arrange things with their family, etc ...

Reactions: Rusty101 and spafe

BeardLegend

I can't grow a beard
Mar 28, 2014
Southwark, London, SE17
As a rough guide, I'd like to avoid any British school holidays. Easter, Summer, Christmas being the main ones... there's a few half terms thrown in.

- A lot of the British guys have families and the kids holidays probably have to come first (not to mention the wife's) and while a trip to London (where i'll be staging my vision of Yak Kon) can be fun, it's an expensive place. So I reckon if I can nail a sweet spot when the budget's not tight, the guys can get away for a weekend to play toy soldiers with their weird internet mates. The girls can send the kids away to their granparents and sit around all day in the bath, drinking wine ... or whatever it is that girls do. ;)

Edit: So, in short (lol) I'm not overly fond of mid year, as I think it will limit the amount of Brits I can attract.

Reactions: Rusty101 and spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
As a rule of thumb, if its raining its a bank holiday, then when its sunny and warm its a normal work day :p

Reactions: notprop