N18 Anyone tried slightly more casual campaign systems?

Spiral9

Juve
Oct 29, 2019
I'm setting up the local store campaign, which comes with a bevvy of both advantages and disadvantages. One thing that's really been worrying me is scheduling campaign games. In the newcromunda that I've played, it's always been with a small group that made a commitment to play two campaign games a month, every month, for six months... and I just don't think that would work in this campaign. Some people will want to play more, some less; arbitrator-appointed games (ie: me telling them who's going to play each other) will be tougher in a larger, looser crowd; and most of all I don't see a store campaign retaining more than a few people for a full six months.

That said, the community is enthusiastic and the people are generally at the store once or twice a week. There was a killteam campaign running for two-ish months when it came out, and people seemed to be really engaged (although it did peter out a little at the end).

Some ideas:
- Perhaps the outland campaign is a better fit for this kind of thing? Building up your base can be done kind of independently of each other. But I think that's getting rid of one of the most enjoyable parts of Necro, gaining territories and rackets and such. Playing house feels like a nice addition but a poor substitute.
- Let people play as many games as they like, but they can only get a territory/racket for their first win each campaign week, with campaign weeks being one or two weeks. This lets people arrange their own games, but might cause some runaway leads. I'm already setting up underdog bonuses and removing the more powerful territories/rackets from the campaign, though, so they might be enough.

Any advice, yaktribe?

Reactions: fysja

BranBuccarcher

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Nov 14, 2018
Carmarthen
If you limit people to two challenges per campaign week but can accept any number of challenges as usual games with income from territory etc. Then any extra side games are limited to injuries and XP gains only apart from the sc rewards (limit the scs available so no one can repeat play bigscore...). Means the busier players can do more games but stops them snowballing away with cash.
Planning a multiplayer game once per campaign month as well with players limited to 3-4 models each, keeps people interested especially if you can make it a narrative game to the next/previous campaign month.

Spiral9

Juve
Oct 29, 2019
Planning a multiplayer game once per campaign month as well with players limited to 3-4 models each, keeps people interested especially if you can make it a narrative game to the next/previous campaign month.
Whoa, I like this idea. I like it a lot! You've been in a campain that's done this?

BranBuccarcher

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Nov 14, 2018
Carmarthen
I always try to run them like this especially when I do the Xmas campaign for local store.
If not for covid we would be doing an end of campaign multiplayer on Sunday but it's been cancelled under the new guidelines....

Was going to do a scenario using the rules from the book of ruin for the random weapons used but not limited to just juves...

Reactions: Spiral9

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Yeah, I run 2 week campaign weeks, and only the first game gets any income. Any more are side battles.

The multiplayer events really do keep people engaged, I usually do 3 per campaign: beginning, middle, and end. So one every 6 weeks or so. I have even run a game mastered narrative scenario between campaigns to finish up some gang's stories (see my Queen's Dome campaign logs).