N18 Are there any models that are simply not possible to use?

Dec 15, 2021
Canada
Necromunda has appealed to me as a game that says "These are guidelines moreso than rules..." and I've taken that to heart when creating some of my gangs/outcasts/etc.

I am wondering though if there are any models that would be strictly too-out-of-place to use in the Hive? Things like dreadnaughts, imperial knights, tyranids, etc, don't seem to have a place down below but what about chaos marines, tau, harlequins, etc? Some of the smaller models that could fit in as a gang leader or a venator?

Obviously I know we can do what we want in our own campaign but I'm just curious on the wider communities thoughts.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
I think most 40k stuff is too out of place for Necromunda.
Some stuff can be swung more easily though, Orks, Kroot, Lictors, Space Marines, things that could have a plausible place on Necromunda.

Dec 15, 2021
Canada
I think most 40k stuff is too out of place for Necromunda.
Some stuff can be swung more easily though, Orks, Kroot, Lictors, Space Marines, things that could have a plausible place on Necromunda.
I'm not a 40k player so it seems like it's all set within the 40k universe to me? I've seen people use Sisters, AdMech, etc, to kitbash and/or as gang leaders and/or gangers... so it's been on my mind where is the line (or is there one? or does your arbiter draw it?)?

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
There is no strict line.
I personally love that Necro is Part of 40k, but at the same time has a very different feel to it, and a distinct style.
I like to have "eastereggs" placed in my Necromunda world. A Tau Rifle on the workbench of an illegal weapon chopshop.
A fallen Sororita Sister rallying Cawdor youngsters. A Goliath Chief with a very illegal scavenged shoulderpad of a spacemarine as a status symbol.
A mission that revolves around hunting down a giant cockroach which looks a lot like a Lictor. Which no one in the underhive even knows exists. To them, it's just another strange critter born from the radioactive sludge.

But I am absolutely not enthusiastic about dropping a 40k-Killteam into the underhive and calling it a gang. The Governor of Necromunda puts a lot of effort into keeping the imperial officials away from his planet. And some random team of aliens probably has no widespread agenda on the planet.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Well an easy line in Necromunda is that there's no rules for this stuff in Necromunda.

Yes it's all set in the 40k universe, but Necromunda is set in a very specific place, that place being the lowest depths of the Necromunda hive cities.
There's no reason a Tau soldier would ever end up there, they're at the opposite end of the galaxy and aren't known for isolated stealthy incursions.

Of course, this all just applies to slotting things in to a standard narrative.
If you want to set your campaign in a massive event such as a planet wide Tau invasion then by all means have advance and/or disoriented elements finding themselves on your battlefield.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

Hawkins44

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 2nd Place
I have composed a list of things that common citizens (including Underhive gangers) might encounter on Necromunda. It is just my personal opinion, though.

Necrons, Tyranids, Orks, most of the minor races - Nearly Impossible
Eldars, Dark Eldars, T'au, some minor races - Very unlikely
Space Marines, Imperial Knights, Adepta Sororitas, Genestealers - Unlikely
Skitarii, Abhumans - Likely
Guardsmen, PDF - Common

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
if you can come up with a reason for it, I don’t see why anything couldn’t happen. But as @Hawkins44 said, some things are more likely than others. Imperial Fists use Necromunda as a recruitment world, so they’re possible. But Space Wolves would be a more difficult sell. Sisters of Battle have a fortress tower as well, so they’re possible. But sisters of silence would be a harder sell. The tricky part is coming up with rules that allow them to actually fit in with the game. So there are fluff limits.

But if you look around the tribe, you’ll find orange haired trolls, Jawa-goblins, Skaven gangers, space dinosaurs (kroot), Warhammer fantasy miniatures, Warcry miniatures, etc. So there’s nothing model-wise that’s really off limits. Xenos could be used to explain all sorts of “monsters” like lizard men. Fantasy Elves, or whatever you want. “Counts As” goes a long way with the Rule of Cool.

Dec 15, 2021
Canada
if you can come up with a reason for it, I don’t see why anything couldn’t happen. But as @Hawkins44 said, some things are more likely than others. Imperial Fists use Necromunda as a recruitment world, so they’re possible. But Space Wolves would be a more difficult sell. Sisters of Battle have a fortress tower as well, so they’re possible. But sisters of silence would be a harder sell. The tricky part is coming up with rules that allow them to actually fit in with the game. So there are fluff limits.

But if you look around the tribe, you’ll find orange haired trolls, Jawa-goblins, Skaven gangers, space dinosaurs (kroot), Warhammer fantasy miniatures, Warcry miniatures, etc. So there’s nothing model-wise that’s really off limits. Xenos could be used to explain all sorts of “monsters” like lizard men. Fantasy Elves, or whatever you want. “Counts As” goes a long way with the Rule of Cool.

This was brought up on Reddit but, the way I see it, rather than making the base model's rules work for Necromunda, it seems easier to find rules already in Necromunda and apply those to a model? For example, if I want a T'au drone maybe I'd use servo skull rules for it.

Reactions: TheCaptain1989

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
I have composed a list of things that common citizens (including Underhive gangers) might encounter on Necromunda. It is just my personal opinion, though.

Necrons, Tyranids, Orks, most of the minor races - Nearly Impossible
Orks made a planetfall on Necromunda before and there are feral orks in the Skull. Proof is here.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I am wondering though if there are any models that would be strictly too-out-of-place to use in the Hive? Things like dreadnaughts, imperial knights, tyranids, etc, don't seem to have a place down below but what about chaos marines, tau, harlequins, etc? Some of the smaller models that could fit in as a gang leader or a venator?

The Outlanders ORB supplement had rules for chaos marines, orks, eldar, etc. Only intended as NPCs rather than player-run gangs, but suggests their presence in the hive a possibility.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Hoverboards on flying stands are simply not possible to use in tight multi-level terrain... And I think they're out of place for Necromunda :sneaky:

• Love
Reactions: Mr. M

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Hoverboards on flying stands are simply not possible to use in tight multi-level terrain... And I think they're out of place for Necromunda :sneaky:
Hoverboards are not out of place things for 'munda, brats of the noble houses could easily use those to show off... The fact that they are given to literally who's from streets is absolutely dumb though. I hate all of modern Van Saar's lore with burning passion.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
This was brought up on Reddit but, the way I see it, rather than making the base model's rules work for Necromunda, it seems easier to find rules already in Necromunda and apply those to a model? For example, if I want a T'au drone maybe I'd use servo skull rules for it.
Yeah, the “counts as” works for all sorts of situations. I could see off-worlders like Rogue Traders bringing those sort of things to Necromunda. In my head, though, those things would be limited to nobles, so I could see Spyrer gangs or Brats having Eldar weapons or Tau Pulse rifles or shield drones.

Murder cyborg could easily be a Necron Flayed One model. Tyranids could represent all sorts of Sump monsters, or be used to represent mutations.

40k vehicles could easily become scenery or scenario objectives. I think there was someone here that took a landraider and made it into a Holestead or was it a scrap metal dealer?