Azzabats' Acoustic Achievements

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
a>
Thought I'd share with you all another music video I was fortunate enough to be a part of.

Again, a lot of the stuff I was involved with is off screen, building the 'Black Room" for the actual filming, the backdrops, the tracks for the roller coaster car, and the castings of the skeletons.
Oh ... and another tank that makes a very brief appearance near the end.

YKD83Ud.jpg

kD7Nv9h.jpg

lDJPbDF.jpg

A lot of love and time went into making these pieces and the video, and a lot of stuff didn't survive the edit, but I'm still damn proud to be part of the team that turned this out. = )

Last edited:

Ned Noodle

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Aug 26, 2016
Leyland
I'm so jealous that you get to be involved in projects like this, it incorporates my three biggest passion in life, music, modelling and stop motion animation.
The skeletons look amazing and are animated so well. The back drops all look awesome and that tank is epic!
I really loved the whole concept for the video, I'm not a massive hip hop fan (i use to be) but I'm a fan of good music and I thought the track was pretty good.
Thanks for sharing. (y)

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
Thanks. It's fun, but it's also really demanding. Everyone seems to want everything done for nothing these days. The usual phrase runs something along the lines of "Do this for free for me and I'll give you / you'll get coverage".

Generally the reason you've come to us in the 1st place is that we've already GOT coverage!

Also because you're under time and budgetary constraints you have to be really creative. You'd be surprised at some of the junk in there that looks so ... professional. (I really wish I'd taken some shots of the back of the sets)

The corner cornice on the left hand roof are plastic flower pot feet, the boards across the windows coffee stirrers, and the buildings are just cardboard boxes.

The huge machine with all the gears and cogs on it is actually 2 bakery bread bins/trays turned on their sides (so you see the bottom).

The most important guy is our lighting engineer. He can make the shittiest thing look like a polished diamond with his skill. And the animators of course.

I may have another full size set to do in October. My YouTube buddy wants a full scale lizardman and a Skaven set built, which I'm really hoping comes off. Retirement has never been so busy!

Orngog

YCE Project Manager
Aug 30, 2014
Wiltshire
Awesome work @Azzabat, you should be proud. I'm sure you appreciate the creativity that comes with a limited palette (be it time or other). Could you tell us a little about the tank, please?

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
It's a real mish mash of different toys. As I mentioned time was pretty tight so we had to cobble together whatever we could find rather than a scratch build like the last one.

It's mainly a G.I. Joe tank for the chassis. I cut the top half of the chassis in half, pulled all the front away, and rebuilt the turret over the engine facing the other way. I.e. What is now the front of the tank used to be the rear. The turret originally faced left and was level with the engine block.

I had to fashion a new turret ring out of some old drain pipe as Chris (the Art Director) wanted the turret to turn. I've no idea what the black thing on the turret was originally, it was just something I found and thought would look good.

The compartment at the rear with the seats is from the front half of an Action Man dune buggy (that was throw away as it had no wheels). Again that was carved up and placed on top. Then it had loads of "interesting" pieces added to make it look big and military. Anything that could be cut off the off cuts of the Tank and buggy (jerry cans, access panels, hatches, stowage boxes) was cut/sawn off and stuck on with hot glue. A few bits of mechano too.

When your building something like this for film/video you have to think about "sight lines". I.e. The countours need to 'flow' horizontally. If you look you can just about make out a louvres on the side (above the front 3 wheels) are roughly level with the trapezoid shaped stowage box to the left (above the rear 2 wheels). The top and bottom of the turret are level with the 'roll bars' around the smoke discharges behind it, and that black plastic thingie is the same height as the dashboard of the buggy chassis.

I never knew this until I started working on videos, but it makes a lot of sense when your scratch building. You ever wonder why after you've made something, it just doesn't look right, but you can't think why? Odds are it's the sight lines.

The rivets are just dollar store self adhesives beads and the skulls came off some craft store Halloween buys The metallic skulls are hollow plastic and the green/yellow ones are a resin glow in the dark. These were cut in half and stuck where ever felt right.

That's about it really. It was then sprayed black, highlighted, and JD (the Lighting God) put some LED's in it.