Azzabats Halloween 2018

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
So ... its a mere 56 sleeps til Halloween 2018, and since I’m not allowed to take part in Yak 25 :( I figured I’d do something towards my favourite time of year.

For newer Yakkers, I love Halloween. Not your usual “I love watching Football”, not your Fanatical
“I love my Football Team!”, not even your unconditional “I Love my children, and would die for them”, No ... my love of Halloween transcends the bounds of mere mortal Love, and is akin to my love of breathing.

I’m lucking in that my buddy who owns my local lets me decorate his pub at Halloween. Well ... I say “lets me” ... its more of a “badger him all year and beat him into submission with enthusiasm” sort of permission.

I like to add a new prop each year and as I’m running out of space pubs are surprisingly small when filled with 8 years of Azzabats’ enthusiasm) I’ve had to resort to the 3rd floor windows. What to put 30 feet in the air that people can still see?

... TENTACLES!

3qZkYDy.jpg

Nothing says Halloween like 6 foot tentacles waving out the top corner of a building. :D
I’ve still got to make another 2 or three pairs, and paint them, but I’m quite excited.

It also got me thinking that’s what else goes with tentacles??? Why PIRATES of course! And as the 19th of September is International Talk Like A Pirate Day (http://talklikeapirate.com/wordpress/how-to/) I thought I’d combine them both and be a Zombie Pirate, So on the weekend I made myself a rib cage out of some kitchen waste pipe I had laying about.

Qs20qi1.jpg

It’s shaped to fit my chest and I intend to fix it to an under-shirt, then cover it with a zombified suit so you can see “my” ribs.

All I have to do now is win the battle with my sewing machine, which has taken over my Creation Station.

iSRZQ1w.jpg

I have so far sewn everything I did this evening inside out ... and my finger to the fabric. At least it’s not like when I made the zombie heads, and hot glued my finger to my moustache! Hopefully tomorrow will be a better (and less painful) day.

Edit: Good News Everybody!

I have a friend who runs a Pub (a different pub ... though ... I’m sensing a theme here :cautious: ) and she asked me if I fancied decorating their Pub for Halloween?

I told her it’s a bit late for this year (I’m just now getting deliveries I ordered back in June), but ... if I start now ... it’s only 421 sleeps to next Halloween !!!

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I thought there was precedent for entering your own competition, but not being eligible to win.

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
So it’s a mere half moon until Halloween. Well ... until we start decorating the pub anyway. I got a bit waylaid making (and painting) new cages for hanging outside the pub.

wfxgUfb.jpg

mIULaZU.jpg

For those of you who remember my efforts last year, they were very similiar, but not as well painted.
Also as the cobwebs were done with a hot glue gun, (the glue being propelled out the (hot) end of the gun by an air mattress pump), they proved impossible to remove without taking bits of the foam cage with them..

D8tZp42.jpg

So I took the opportunity to redesign them a little and paint them in a rusty style. They old ones (I won’t say original as I believe this is the ... 4th incarnation of my cages) are going to a friend who is producing a Halloween video for English Heritage London.

Now all I have to do is get the skulls mounted on “spikes” and put in the new cages. I probable should have done this as I was making them. :(

ObebId4.jpg

It’s interesting to see when they’re all gathered together how much better I’ve gotten at skullpting (see what I did there) over the last 2 years.

And of course me being me ... I’m already planning to replace these with some better ones for next year. I’m not happy with the “tread” pattern from the floor matting being visible inside the cage. So next year I’ll either used proper, double sided smooth Eva foam, or sand down the tread pattern. I’ll also make the cages in different sizes, shapes and styles.

Oh ... and as we’re a jazz pub ... I made a guitar out of some skeletons that didn’t survive the winter in storage.

qy4ximL.jpg

Now ... what to do with the remainder of the week? ;)

Last edited: