Necromunda Back to Necromunda

May 31, 2020
"What nightmare are these Hive Worlds?
In these places where man has been allowed to grow unchecked
teeming billions infest the vast Hive Cities"

Haven't done anything Warhammer related in a long time but picked new Necromunda up after mostly having played Infinity for a long time. Feels good to dip my toes back into grim waters.
Trying some new ways to paint. Trying to make a more grimdark blanchitsu style but so far not doing so well. Need to get out of my comfort zone more. I would like to hear tips or criticisms to improve my painting.

1065384-.png

Bounty Hunter

1065383-.png

Bounty Hunter. Converted long ago to initially be part of a Mechanicus warband

1065381-.png

1065385-Necromunda.png

Bomb rats

1065382-.png

Caryatid and servo skull

May 31, 2020
I am indeed also doing Cawdor next. I am just waiting on some bits to convert my gang slightly.
I have around 4 gangs I eventually want to make.
Escher, Cawdor, Corpse Grinders and Venator

Reactions: Crazy Ivan

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Washes, they are very helpful. It looks like either some highlighting or the right wash on your larger color blocks would be the next thing to address. Otherwise, very solid.
Also, clean them mold lines!
P.S. Contrast paints do magic things, you should try them out. I'm liking them for flesh and fabrics a lot.

Reactions: CookieMountaineer
May 31, 2020
Thanks a lot for your input. I want to experiment with oil or enamel washes as a next step

GW contrast paint are essentially an ink right?

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Thanks a lot for your input. I want to experiment with oil or enamel washes as a next step

GW contrast paint are essentially an ink right?
No actually. They are the main paint with a complementary wash hue that just flows into the corners.
Make sure you get the right primer, apparently it doesn't flow right on primers that aren't smooth. I've only tried the GW ones but I'm sure there are off brands that will work.

May 31, 2020
No actually. They are the main paint with a complementary wash hue that just flows into the corners.
Make sure you get the right primer, apparently it doesn't flow right on primers that aren't smooth. I've only tried the GW ones but I'm sure there are off brands that will work.
That's interesting. I don't think they were a thing when I still played es GW games. Bit of a hiatus. Might test them out.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Oh no, they're brand new. An absolute innovation in painting. They are just a tool but man oh man are they a powerful tool.

undertaker

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
Contrast paints aren't as much a wash as they are a heavy-pigmented glaze. Subtle difference in terminology. Basically they are designed to colour large flat areas as well as flow into the recesses for, um, contrast. As opposed to a wash, which is designed to mostly flow into the recesses. Both are translucent to different degrees and will show the layers underneath. It's this property that makes both a good tool in the right situation, but not every situation.

Reactions: CookieMountaineer
May 31, 2020
Painted some more. Didn't photograph very well but here we go:

1066611-.png

1066612-.png

A figure I converted long ago that will now serve as a Witch for my sisters chaos Helot gang as I think they should see som tabletime.
Rumors say they have traveled deep. Down into the very Híve Bottom and heard the call of the Sump itself. Rot, it whispers. Let it all rot. Even the Emperor is rotting. Let it fall.

1066609-.png

1066610-.png