Necromunda Baffo's WIPs (picture heavy)

Baffo

Gang Champion
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
Greetings fellow Hivers:)

I am Baffo, an obsessive-compulsive converter/hobbyist with hoarding issues, which are not helped by the fact I am also the local Necromunda group arbitrator (so I get excuses to buy/convert even more random monsters/vehicles/NPCs). As you will notice from my albums I have general urge to convert every model I have at least a little bit (and in some cases I don't really know when to stop), but my main problem is then getting paint on said models; I am a decent painter and really enjoy the Highlights and details stage of the painting process, but find the early stages of painting (blocking in the colours neat and tidy) an unbearable slog, so I usually prefer getting on my next conversion/sculpting idea...

In the usual spirit of overly-optimistic 'New year resolutions' I decided to finally take pictures and upload my current Necromunda gangs/projects to maybe motivate me enough to get at least some of my gangs (or at least some models) painted in the upcoming year.

I have several Necromunda gangs and various extra conversions and scratch-builds, that I will eventually photograph, compile and post up in here, but to start the year off with a proper bang, here is my primary (and most heavily converted) necromunda gang: the Lords of the Red Sands - a Pit-fighter/Khador themed Goliath gang...

Added on 01.01.2020

Added on 01.15.2020

Added on 01.23.2020

Added on 04.04.2020

Hope you like them and happy new year:D

Edit: Added the links to other albums as I upload them; cheers!

Last edited:

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
What are you waiting for then? Get them finished.

Id say welcome but I see you’ve been around a fair while! Pass friend.

Chaos Moomin

Gang Champion
Jun 30, 2018
UK
I wonder, Baffo, have you tried the underpainting/glazing method of painting?

Get your values/highlights in early in grey and white (after a zenithal undercoat), and then simply glaze your base colours in over top quickly. It's something I'm looking to do more of for speed reasons, and sounds like it'd suit your preferences perfectly.

Nice sculpting work by the way.

cainex1

Hive Guilder
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Hey! I recognize you from Dakka and I too love to build and convert but I don't know if I would call myself a good painter.
Great looking stuff though.

Baffo

Gang Champion
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
Ok, added another small album of pics of my custom Critters for Pest extermination scenario and the WIP on my Looted/Reclaimed Mech suits for Necromunda (link in the opening post).
Cheers!

Baffo

Gang Champion
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
Well, if those aren't the neatest Goliaths I've seen in...ever, actually, those are easily the best Goliath conversions I have seen, period.

Are the arms on the bolter champ sculpted too, or did you convert pre-existing arms?
The 'base structure' of the arms for the Bolter is from the original Goliath kit (the arms usually holding the Stub cannons, but one arm from each of the 2 pose variants), however for most of my champions I had to file down and re-sculpt the muscle structure of their upper arms and shoulders when visible, since my coats add quite a bit of width to the model's shoulders and without corrections they would look obviously deformed.

Reactions: SuboptimusPrime

Baffo

Gang Champion
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
Here are some more pics of my other 'side gangs', besides my main Goliaths (link added also to opening post):

They are not as heavily converted as my Goliaths, but there are minor reposes/kit-bashes and head-swaps to give them all a bit of a spin on the stock models:)
Hope you like them and cheers!

cainex1

Hive Guilder
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Ridiculously cool. I just got the last of my Puppetswar heads for my Enforcers, I'm doing berets, no helmet (including the 2 from the kits) and 2 variations on the Dredd theme

Reactions: Baffo

Baffo

Gang Champion
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
Ridiculously cool. I just got the last of my Puppetswar heads for my Enforcers, I'm doing berets, no helmet (including the 2 from the kits) and 2 variations on the Dredd theme
I might have gone for that look as well, if I did not already use the Tempest scions Berret heads on my Orlocks (would look too similar), so I ended up converting a stock helmet head from the basic enforcers kit to look more like Dredd's helmet and recasting it in resin for the entire crew. I made my own Subjugators with custom Shields (again converting a Brettonian Man-at-arms shield and re-cast in resin to duplicate) and 'normal patrolmen bodies', before we knew the 'official' subjugators were coming out as their own plastic kit, so I decided I would use the newer Subjugator bodies to make my Officers (Captain and Sergeants) instead and added the more Dredd-like Shoulder pads to the kits to better differentiate characters from 'gangers' (and they are on the bigger 32 mm bases).

cainex1

Hive Guilder
Dec 8, 2017
USA
I set aside some riot shields I had in metal for the task and I was going to do much the same. Luckily, I have too many projects and worked on something else in the meanwhile.
Speaking of, I just got my FW order in and need to take care of all that. Most of it is in good enough shape to not require hours of repair or replacement (literal crapshoot with them).
Anyway, I'll probably be using some of your ideas down the line.
Keep up the good work!

SirFrog

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Honored Tribesman
Mar 1, 2015
Luleå, Sweden
Wow. Are all those armour plates (on the shotgunners, for example) individually hand-sculpted, or do you have some kind of bluestuff cast? I can see that a few of those weapons have been recast, but there's some impressive consistency in that greenstuffing.

Baffo

Gang Champion
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
Wow. Are all those armour plates (on the shotgunners, for example) individually hand-sculpted, or do you have some kind of bluestuff cast? I can see that a few of those weapons have been recast, but there's some impressive consistency in that greenstuffing.
All the Green stuffing is individually hand-sculpted on each model; the trick of 'keeping consistent' is to use fairly simple geometric shapes and to build up details in multiple layers/sculpting sessions (as in sculpt the base layer, let it dry completely, then add some details on it, let those dry, and so on).
Another 'design trick' is to make all 'extra armour/shoulder pads' similar in design aesthetic but intentionally not identical - if I tried to make them all exactly the same the small inconsistencies in size and shape would stand out, but if you make them all slight variations of the same 'theme', minor mistakes and asymmetries do not look quite as out-of-place.
When I want to be 'truly consistent' I make silicone moulds and recast in resin the bits I need to be exactly the same (like the custom weapons and coats of the Goliaths or the Helmets, Shields and Shoulder pads for the Enforcer officers for example). There are some other advantages/tricks with resin casting (like the 'wavy' textured Goliath coats or the Gene stealer Adept's cloak), but exact consistency is the main factor usually.
Cheers!

SirFrog

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Honored Tribesman
Mar 1, 2015
Luleå, Sweden
I guess I'll just have to work on my sculpting, and up my recasting game. I'm still using good ol' bluestuff recasting, which while simple is far from perfect.

Chaos Moomin

Gang Champion
Jun 30, 2018
UK
Looks good to me, though highlighting some of the edges on the black would help bring out the detail I think.

Reactions: Baffo