Basing models

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
Thought I'd appeal to the collective wisdom of the tribe. Thinking both Necromunda/sci-fi and fantasy (in my case Warcry atm.. but mordheim or whatever..)

Firstly how do you decide what sort of base to choose from? Be it a building style e.g. Necromunda/sector mechanics or Fantasy ruin equivalent. Textured ground desert/mud/rocks etc.. or other? Lava /snow etc..

My gangs are all on Necromunda bases, but I fancy varying it up for KT and Warcry. So far I have rocky outcrops and desert scrub in Warcry and thinking of using sector mechanicus bases for KT. How do you tie your base decision into your gang/warbands narrative?

Does it bother you if either gangs have very different bases? E.g. group on lava bases fighting those on snow? Or green turfed models fighting on a Necromunda based table? (Or vice versa)?

Now the meat of the post: Having some thoughts about how to base my models. More particularly about methods.

So previously I have built them on plastic bases be that plain or Necromunda ones primed and painted the whole model.

Now I note that many people on t'internet seem to fully paint their models and bases separately and then glue.

My question is how? Plastic cement? Super glue or pin and super glue?

I've done one warband on rocky outcrop (cork tile) which I pinned and worked well. But some models have much skinnier legs and I'm wary of pinning those. So if using say textured paint for bases do you just super glue? Does that hold? The textured paint looks like it could flake off rather than hold a model?

I've also tried blu-tack on feet positions then prime&paint. This leave clear plastic for good cement adhesion but you then have to touch up the join with mixed results? Is this a terrible strategy or Do I need to practice more?

Finally if pinning what material and diameter rods do you use? The rods I used were far too strong and I'd look for something easier to cut going forward.

Any other basing tips for someone trying to move away from fairly basic painted bases?

Final question.. do you ever have models you like to use across systems / genres if so how do you keep the bases generic yet still allowing them to tie into other models? Like critters/beasties for use in multiple games - even dual use sci-fi&Fantasy.

I only ask this as I'm tempted to paint a couple of Classic GW daemons for dual use in Warcry and Necro. Likewise I based Amallyn Shadowthingy to match my daughter's Eldar KT but now she looks out of place with the other BSF models..

• Love
Reactions: Mr. M and trollmeat

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Right, a lot of questions there!

how do you decide what sort of base to choose from?
Mostly it’s the theme of the gang/army OR the game setting itself.

So, my Wasteland Pirates have a heavy ash and clinker look to their bases.

Most new Necro gangs will be using the new bases as I quite like them.
My Cawdor use a techno-gothic look, so flagstones mixed with corroded metal. Gives them a look that they’re from somewhere a bit churchy but also industrial.

40k 2nd Edition model’s will get a 90s Goblin Green bases as that is evocative of that era.

My Dark Eldar are in some kind of techy gladiatorial arena.

And so on.

How do you tie your base decision into your gang/warbands narrative?

Mostly explained above! Do you have a theme for them? If so go for it! If not, keep it fairly generic and repaintable if you change your mind later.

Does it bother you if either gangs have very different bases?
Nah, they’re from different places in the hive so if their bases reflect that it’s ok.

40k armies are similar.

Where it gets weird is when you have one side with grass, the other snow but you only play on city concrete terrain. Maybe tie them into your own terrain collection somewhat?

If you only play on Industrial scenery then a snow look is an odd choice. Unless you’re playing in the freezer sector? Actually that’d be cool - frozen slippery ladders, frost, snow etc...

Don’t mount a BFG armada on grass etc...
Now I note that many people on t'internet seem to fully paint their models and bases separately and then glue.

My question is how? Plastic cement? Super glue or pin and super glue?

Personally I prefer sticking to bases and then painting. However I see that as the intricacies of basing has increased so has the desire to paint models separately. Also it can make painting some models easier.
Also multibases are so much easier doing them all separate. I think Geek Gaming on YouTube has a vid on that.

Where I have pinned models to resin bases I prefer, well, pins and superglue!

Also I used to paint models and then bases. Nowadays I paint the bases first and then the models as it’s far easier to touch up a base than a models foot - particularly if you’ve done a lot of blending on it.

If you are pinning I’d advise finding spots for models to stand so you’re not trying to glue to sand or static grass or something equally unstable.

With spindly footed models if they have a tab, don’t cut it all off! Instead trim the tab into two “pegs” underneath the feet which will be a lot stronger.

Finally if pinning what material and diameter rods do you use?
Paper Clips. Easy to find and easy to use. Generally 1mm diameter.

Last edited:

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
What @MusingWarboss said.

Although I'll add that whilst I usually base stuff based on the game they'll be used in, i.e. flagstone/cobblestone for WHQ '95/Mordheim, Sector Mech. for Necromunda, I did branch out on my (metal) Bloodthirster, Grey Knights, and Inquisitor and do "lava" bases - because, rule of cool.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Thought I'd appeal to the collective wisdom of the tribe. Thinking both Necromunda/sci-fi and fantasy (in my case Warcry atm.. but mordheim or whatever..)

Firstly how do you decide what sort of base to choose from? Be it a building style e.g. Necromunda/sector mechanics or Fantasy ruin equivalent. Textured ground desert/mud/rocks etc.. or other? Lava /snow etc..

My gangs are all on Necromunda bases, but I fancy varying it up for KT and Warcry. So far I have rocky outcrops and desert scrub in Warcry and thinking of using sector mechanicus bases for KT. How do you tie your base decision into your gang/warbands narrative?

Does it bother you if either gangs have very different bases? E.g. group on lava bases fighting those on snow? Or green turfed models fighting on a Necromunda based table? (Or vice versa)?

These days, I do everything on fairly non-descript brown dirt/rubble bases. (The only exception was Blood Bowl, and I've not made any models for that in years.)

This may not be the best base choice for anything, but it's not too bad for anything either. Not so great for Necro, but even there I guess it's better than 1990s gobin green. I like to think it's just accumulated filth. In other cases, it could just be dirt/mud, desert sand, etc.

Final question.. do you ever have models you like to use across systems / genres if so how do you keep the bases generic yet still allowing them to tie into other models? Like critters/beasties for use in multiple games - even dual use sci-fi&Fantasy.

I only ask this as I'm tempted to paint a couple of Classic GW daemons for dual use in Warcry and Necro. Likewise I based Amallyn Shadowthingy to match my daughter's Eldar KT but now she looks out of place with the other BSF models..

Most of my models are designed for a variety of systems, which is one reason for the very generic bases. I recommend using the smallest bases, since it's easier to make a small base bigger than to make a big base smaller.

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
As the owner of a contender for most needlessly elaborate base on YakTribe, I should chime in here, should I not?

I very rarely do minis separate from bases, I usually just accept that the area where the feet meet the base will be less tidy, people very rarely tend to look at a miniature's feet. In the rare cases I do, I try to make sure the mini is attached via flat surfaces without sand or flock. In cases where that isn't possible, I make indentations with the feet of the mini into a PVA+Sand mix, let that dry, then fix the whole thing with watered-down PVA. That dries to an iron-hard crust, and if enough force is applied to pry the mini off along with THAT, being glued to the base directly would not have helped either. Glue-wise, it depends on the material of the base and the mini. I prefer plastic glue, but if either the mini or the base is made of a non-plastic material, I always use superglue, PVA feels too flimsy for that.

Speaking of metal minis, which I work with less and less these days, I always pin those to their bases. And for that I use 1.0mm copper wire. In the rare cases where the mini is really heavy and the attachment point is kinda weak, I use 1.5mm steel wire, bent to a hook beneath the base. That's a major hassle and hard to work with without bending the miniature, but if done correctly it's like nailing the mini down. Many people I know forego fancy wire and just use paperclips, but I found those a bit too thin for even the smallest drills I have, and they wobble too much for my liking. I barely ever pin plastic miniatures to their bases.

Answering the thought process behind the bases, first thing I do is ask myself two questions:

1.) Where is my army fighting?
2.) What do I want to do?

Often, the first question gives me a very concrete answer. Necromunda gangs fight in the hive, I have hive bases, so they get hive bases, end of story. With other armies, I sometimes have an inspired idea what I want to do, like my Kharadrons, which were created during the previous edition of AoS, when every army had a realm theme. I decided on Shyish because I felt muted blues and dusty greys would be a good contrast to polished brass and red painted boats. And also because I thought dwarves breaking into hell to steal realmstone was next-level graverobbing and hilarious.

If I have no initial idea for where I want to go, I usually go with something I haven't tried before, tempered by the scope of the project. My Admech are a big thing with very many different sizes of base, so I needed something that scales well, leading me to forest bases, which can be simulated with some lichen and a few kitchen-herb leaves on small bases, but also leave me room to go a bit crazy with the big bases. My Warcry bands all have the same bases because they're within the same space, a plain of random skulls, obsidian and blood mud surrounding the Eightpoints, so that's another thing to consider.

Which leads me to my final points, and because I can hear the overtime buzzers going off like crazy, I will keep it short:
  • Have never done cross-system models so far, no idea how I'd handle that.
  • I really don't care if my stuff differs from the table. The tables I fight on go from completely and elaborately modelled hivescapes to "grey-tablecloth-ash-waste", it'd be impossible to account for all that.
  • Having spent my youth fighting WHFB against the high elves of a friend who never put his models together (I am talking seeing a set of flying bases with legs on them labelled "Giant Eagle" taking apart my dwarves for most of my teenage years), I am happy if the other army is mostly assembled. Everything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Of course if you’re really crazy then there’s always the...

...clear plastic base! 😱

More often than not favoured by the boardgamer (you can see through it to the lovely art below) but also can be used by the Wargamer.

I wouldn’t advise it for most though as:
  1. They’re more expensive to source. Usually laser cut acrylic.
  2. If you use them on rough surfaces (I.e not a game board or mat) you will scratch up the bottoms and ruin the effect.
  3. You have to be careful gluing the model to them. Ideally you want a clear 2 part epoxy. Superglue can fog them. Poly cement won’t work.
Anyway, mentioned for completeness.

Reactions: Ben_S

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Of course if you’re really crazy then there’s always the...

...clear plastic base! 😱

More often than not favoured by the boardgamer (you can see through it to the lovely art below) but also can be used by the Wargamer.

I wouldn’t advise it for most though as:
  1. They’re more expensive to source. Usually laser cut acrylic.
  2. If you use them on rough surfaces (I.e not a game board or mat) you will scratch up the bottoms and ruin the effect.
  3. You have to be careful gluing the model to them. Ideally you want a clear 2 part epoxy. Superglue can fog them. Poly cement won’t work.
Anyway, mentioned for completeness.
It would look good! Lets see,,,,remove old base,..attach clear base as above, repeat X 600. Do I gotta? :D :D

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I tend to keep it simple (like my paint jobs). I use whatever base they come with and glue them down. If they’re on a slotta base with a tab (mostly metal minis, but some plastics too) I started filling the gap from underneath with wood putty. (Hey, it sticks and takes paint.) I never did bases when i started out, so they’d just be paint splatters that matched the model above. I eventually realized the error of that, and just painted them all black. That turned into the goblin green with flock and some tiny rocks that everyone used for everything back in the late 80s/early 90s. Then Necromunda came out, and you can see the progression of my bases by going through my gallery.

Originally they were all a bluegrey that came close to the blue used on the cardboard scenery. The later ones went with a green with flock to be generic and usable anywhere. (Why was this a good idea?!?). Eventually I realized I was out of 40k and WFB so I decided to paint bases to match my Underhive scenery flooring. And I started adding debris to make them less plain. Now I combine the debris and Underhive flooring with some more bits to sorta mimic the scenic bases that come with the latest gangs.

Edit: this all means they get a black base with a blue grey drybrush and if I’ve glued stuff down to make it “scenic” I’ll pick some of that out in other colors. For everything now.

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
I tend to keep it simple (like my paint jobs). I use whatever base they come with and glue them down. If they’re on a slotta base with a tab (mostly metal minis, but some plastics too) I started filling the gap from underneath with wood putty. (Hey, it sticks and takes paint.) I never did bases when i started out, so they’d just be paint splatters that matched the model above. I eventually realized the error of that, and just painted them all black. That turned into the goblin green with flock and some tiny rocks that everyone used for everything back in the late 80s/early 90s. Then Necromunda came out, and you can see the progression of my bases by going through my gallery.

Originally they were all a bluegrey that came close to the blue used on the cardboard scenery. The later ones went with a green with flock to be generic and usable anywhere. (Why was this a good idea?!?). Eventually I realized I was out of 40k and WFB so I decided to paint bases to match my Underhive scenery flooring. And I started adding debris to make them less plain. Now I combine the debris and Underhive flooring with some more bits to sorta mimic the scenic bases that come with the latest gangs.

Edit: this all means they get a black base with a blue grey drybrush and if I’ve glued stuff down to make it “scenic” I’ll pick some of that out in other colors. For everything now.
As my two (main) armies are space wolves and then tyranids, I considered dying some epoxy and smearing it on the bases as if the tyranid race and their secretions problem manifest themselves during the game.... bleh.. :D

Reactions: Punktaku

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I think it was my first 40k army of plastic beaky marines that sometimes incorporated helmets painted up like my friends plastic beaky army.

Chaos Moomin

Gang Champion
Jun 30, 2018
UK

It's often the last thing I decide on TBH, but here are some things I consider: 1) is there a way I can help get across my force's fluff - a representation of their home turf, or preferred environment, dead enemies, etc.? 2) what will show off the mini in the best light - what colours will complement the paint job? What textures will complement the paint job - I've enjoyed using dusty ground texture to contrast with satin finish power armour on my recent projects, but the reverse can work just as well (wet mud splashes on dry matt fabric). Really helps communicate the textures you're trying to represent on the mini, as well as tie it into the base and make it feel like part of the world. 3) Is there a new material or technique I can try out? Keeps things interesting, innit?

Nah.

I don't like to do this because for whatever reason I like the 'building' phase to be as done as possible before I start painting - I just don't feel as motivated to paint otherwise. Also, if you're representing any kind of 'soft' material on the base, it helps to plant the model in the world if you apply the texture while they're already stuck down. That way it looks like they're standing in the sand/mud/whatever as opposed to on it.

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Model flames on the base of Redemptionists. Righteous and Properly Awesome. I am practicing extreme language utilization like our youth. Movie out with "Unbearable Massive Talent". Me there. :D

Reactions: trollmeat

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Generic Grey (the grey texture paint from gw these last few years... astrogranite maybe?) for all old necromunda and 40k forces.
Old school sand, painted brown, bealched bone drybrush then static grass for my fantasy empire and brets
New necromunda gets the new bases becase they are easy and work.
new skaven fantasy army have... stirland mud I think its called from gw, because its quick and easy.
My new ultramarine (well, old army being repainted) I;ve switched to the game geek scenics forest floor instant basing stuff...because it looks good and is easy (are you spotting the pattern yet?)

Basically I pick something thats typical of the setting and generic enough, that I can throw on quickly and easily. Bar the necromunda ones where they are glued onto the bases but no texture is added to the plastic all my models are glued to bases first wit hthe exception of multi based fantasy empire who will be painted indivually then glued onto the bigger base and I will sand that after. Even the skaven are painted on multibases because...its quick, easier and they are skaven, who cares.

Reactions: almic85 and Mr. M

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Can’t be bothered to read any of the above you losers! obviously it’s PVA, Sand, Goblin Green and a Sunburst Yellow drybrush for EVERYTHING!

For Necromunda I’ll allow that you can get really adventurous with Sand, PVA, a coat of 70% Choas Black 30% Skull White followed by a Skull White drybrush, at a push.

Anything else is just modern woke thinking.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Goblin Green and a Sunburst Yellow drybrush for EVERYTHING! ... Anything else is just modern woke thinking.

That's a very old-fashioned attitude. These days, most people realise that colour doesn't matter. Go with Screamer Pink drybrushed Trollslayer Orange if you want.

(Disclaimer: You probably don't want to use that combination.)

• Love
Reactions: ClockworkOrange

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
That's a very old-fashioned attitude. These days, most people realise that colour doesn't matter. Go with Screamer Pink drybrushed Trollslayer Orange if you want.

(Disclaimer: You probably don't want to use that combination.)
original-367.jpg

Reactions: Ben_S