BBC article on tabletop gaming

Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Not sure what prompted this, but a BBC "journalist" has an article published on the BBC website about tabletop gaming. I've seen articles, mostly about GW, before on the BBC and other MSM outlets, usually though it's patronising guff from someone who hasn't a clue.

Here's the link to the current BBC article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-57996237

I find it interesting that the "journalist" has approached it from a "therapy" angle. Help For Heroes (or some such armed forces charity) have a scheme whereby you donate a scale model kit for veterans to build for therapy. I often refer to the scale modelling (that I gave up on at the start of the pandemic, for reasons) and the "GW style" model assembly/painting that I went back to doing, having had a long break (read about 10 years) from it, at the start of the pandemic as being cathartic - for me models tend to help fill periods of "mania" and "insomnia" and gets me out of my bedroom where my PC (which I also video game on) is.

What is it with Nottingham though? GW, Warlord, Mantic, loads of smaller businesses, all involved in tabletop wargaming. Is there something in the water up there?

Last edited:
Reactions: MedMos

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
What is it with Nottingham though? GW, Warlord, Mantic, loads of smaller businesses, all involved in tabletop wargaming. Is there something in the water up there?

Not read the article yet, but the simple answer to this question is that many of those other companies are started by ex-GW staff.

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
Not read the article yet, but the simple answer to this question is that many of those other companies are started by ex-GW staff.
Similar to various other industries, really; a certain industry becomes commonly based in an area, attracting those who have the skills for it, so when a company in the industry starts up, they start where the potential employees are to be preferable on a commuting/relocating basis.

Scavvierising

Undisputed Doom Spooner
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Both Warlord and Mantic were set up by ex games workshop employees. So they had all been living in the area for years.
Makes sense they would stay in town.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
It is just random filler, but they have spoken to John Stallard (Warlord), Ronnie Renton (Mantic) and Annie Norman (Bad Squidoo). Even though it's not much more than a quick soundbite from each, I find that quite impressive. And, indeed, it's nice to see any mainstream media mention of wargaming, especially in a positive light.