N18 Beginners Question Box

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Hi all,

Brand new player hear looking to get into Necromunda but as it stands I have been turned around and upside down by the various books and rules avaliable...

My question is this:

Is it a worthwhile place to start by buying the following two books?

Necromunda: Rulebook​

Necromunda Gangs of The Underhive​

any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Those two books (plus the official errata) are imo currently the best starting point.
They will provide you with:
  • The core rules for playing the game
  • Rules for the Dominion campain
  • Basic rules for all 6 house gangs
  • The trading post (i.e. a list of additional weapons and items that you can purchase during a campaign to reinforce your gang)
Note that it won't cover all available miniatures (some gang like Enforcers have their rule in a separate book, and house gangs have received new fighter types whose rule can only be found in the House of ____ book series), but I believe it's for the better as playing with nothing but the basic house gang lists makes for a simpler and less imbalanced game.

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
I see the following question asked quite often, so I'll try to offer simple explanations of each of the "core rulebooks".

Q: What is the difference between the 4 rulebooks? The books, in order of release are, Necromunda: Underhive, Necromunda: Rulebook, Necromunda: Dark Uprising, and Necromunda: Hive War.

A: Necromunda: Underhive was the 1st book in the original Escher vs. Goliath starter set of the same name. It is practically a different game, out of print, and should be ignored (1).

Necromunda: Rulebook, AKA the Hardback Rules. The hardback rules you can purchase outside outside of the starter sets. It is mostly up to date, barring errata, and a change of when fleeing fighters make tests (2). This is the only place to get Psyker rules, Subplots (3) any gang may use, the Dominion campaign, and the 12 core scenarios. It includes extensive background for Necromunda.

Of special note: this book contains no gang lists, weapon rules, or Trading Post (4). The companion volume Gangs of the Underhive has those.

Necromunda: Dark Uprising comes with the Enforcers vs. Corpse Grinder Cult starter set of the same name. It has the the same core rules as the hardback rulebook, with the following changes: no Psykers, Dominion campaign replaced with Uprising campaign, basic scenarios are replaced with Uprising ones, includes gang lists for Enforcers and Corpse Grinders and all the equipment they may use and nothing else (5). It contains background material on the fall of Hive Arcos.

Necromunda: Hive War is the newest most up to date rules. I have not read it, but to my understanding it is mostly the same as the hardback rules, with errata and a change to when fleeing fighters are managed (2). It comes in the Escher vs. Delaque starter set of the same name.

It contains the core rules, minus Psykers, no campaign or scenarios usable in campaigns, no subplots, no Trading Post. It has paired down gang lists for all 6 House gangs usable in Skirmish games (aka: one off battles with no campaign). It contains rules for the weapons and skills available for the starting Skirmish gang lists only. The scenarios in the book have rules for linking them without it being a full blown campaign. I am unsure of what background material is included.

This is a good starting point for new players not interested in a campaign, although finding people who play Skirmish games may be impossible unless you're providing them the other gang in this set to use! (This is my opinion, may not apply to you)

Notes
(1). If you can get your hands on the 2d tiles from this box, they make a great alternative to buying lots of 3d terrain.

(2). Fleeing fighter management was moved from the start of the Action phase, to the End Phase in Necromunda: Hive War. I assum this will be included in an upcoming FAQ, so that people with the hardback rules are up to date.

(3). Subplots are optional rules to add bonuses or secondary objectives to games. They are often used as Arbitrator tools in campaigns. Some alternate campaign types have their own versions. Each "House of..." book has exclusive subplots for that House.

(4). The Trading Post is used in campaigns, where you can search for and purchase additional equipment not in your gang's list. Some people ignore this completely and just use what's initially available. Some expansions add additional equipment, or the Black Market if you're a Heretic!

(5). Uprising campaigns do not use the Trading Post, so that campaign may be played between these two gangs without any other book.

Last edited:

OrcJuice

Juve
Jul 19, 2021
Indiana, USA
Hello all,

I haven't played Necromunda since high school (1997). I have some of my old figures, but none of the terrain. I recently purchased Hive War box to get started. My son is going to play Delaque and my daughter will play Escher. I am going to play Orlock and run the campaigns.

I am also shopping 3D terrain and making my board.

My question is, Where do I find the rules for gaining XP and levelling up gangers? I downloaded the free .pdf files of the comprehensive rules and some of the "House of" books, but can't find where to level up and gain XP.

Thank you so much in advance and may you never run out of ammo!

Jakkarra

Ganger
Jun 8, 2021
Hello all,

I haven't played Necromunda since high school (1997). I have some of my old figures, but none of the terrain. I recently purchased Hive War box to get started. My son is going to play Delaque and my daughter will play Escher. I am going to play Orlock and run the campaigns.

I am also shopping 3D terrain and making my board.

My question is, Where do I find the rules for gaining XP and levelling up gangers? I downloaded the free .pdf files of the comprehensive rules and some of the "House of" books, but can't find where to level up and gain XP.

Thank you so much in advance and may you never run out of ammo!

Should be page 143 on the Yaktribe comprehensive rulebook.

Ctrl+F "Advancements at the start of a battle" if you're unable to find it, and it should bring you directly to that section.

Worth knowing that Delaque are getting a new book (next month?) so it's possible that your son's list will be a smidge outdated soon... That is assuming you are using the "house of" books for the gangs, rather than merely their rules in the Comprehensive Rulebooks. (I'd recommend going with the "house of" books, as they're FAR better than the basic rules contained within the core book, and they also have unique mechanics/skill trees for the relevant gang ... Not that I would ever advocate such a thing, but I have heard that all of them (except House Of Faith for Cawdor) are pretty easy to locate as PDFs online.)

Also: Thematically I might suggest playing Enforcers rather than Orlocks, if you're to be the arbitrator, though I'm a little Biased as they're my current gang.

With regards to 3D terrain: https://ttcombat.com/ makes a range of lasercut MDF terrain that's really rather good for Necromunda. Very reasonable pricing for the amount you get, as well.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

OrcJuice

Juve
Jul 19, 2021
Indiana, USA
Should be page 143 on the Yaktribe comprehensive rulebook.

Ctrl+F "Advancements at the start of a battle" if you're unable to find it, and it should bring you directly to that section.

Worth knowing that Delaque are getting a new book (next month?) so it's possible that your son's list will be a smidge outdated soon... That is assuming you are using the "house of" books for the gangs, rather than merely their rules in the Comprehensive Rulebooks. (I'd recommend going with the "house of" books, as they're FAR better than the basic rules contained within the core book, and they also have unique mechanics/skill trees for the relevant gang ... Not that I would ever advocate such a thing, but I have heard that all of them (except House Of Faith for Cawdor) are pretty easy to locate as PDFs online.)

Also: Thematically I might suggest playing Enforcers rather than Orlocks, if you're to be the arbitrator, though I'm a little Biased as they're my current gang.

With regards to 3D terrain: https://ttcombat.com/ makes a range of lasercut MDF terrain that's really rather good for Necromunda. Very reasonable pricing for the amount you get, as well.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you so much! that was spot on and so helpful.

I have "acquired" the House of ...pdf books (even the House of Faith), but I think for our first campaign we are going to stick to the "basic rules", get acquainted with those and then spread out to the more expansive stuff.

As far as gangs, the Palanite or the Orlocks were my two final choices and while that does fit thematically (great idea by the way), my brother wanted to play the enforcers.

As far as terrain goes, you read my mind. I was going to go either ttcombat or promethium forge!

Ursah

Nov 22, 2019
Hello!, i wanted to ask a question about measurement behind walls, for abilities like overseer or led by example, can a fighter that's behind a wall (solid terrain feature) get the benefits of this kind of abilities/auras? o it can't since I shouldn't be able to measure trough said wall to know if it gets in range?

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Hello!, i wanted to ask a question about measurement behind walls, for abilities like overseer or led by example, can a fighter that's behind a wall (solid terrain feature) get the benefits of this kind of abilities/auras? o it can't since I shouldn't be able to measure trough said wall to know if it gets in range?
According the N18 rulebook (page 49), you cannot measure through a solid terrain feature unless otherwise noted (you can, however, measure around it)

NoOneII.

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Quick question:

A fighter is on the ground seriously injured. The fighter gets caught in the blast of a frag grenade, or simply being shot at.
The shot hits, wounds, breaks armour, rolls an injury die, comes up with another serious injury.

Is there anything happening, or does this new serious injury just occur with no further consequences? (Except maybe of forcing nerve tests)

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Is there anything happening, or does this new serious injury just occur with no further consequences?
No further consequence. All a Serious injury result does is change the target fighter's status to Seriously Injured. If they are already Seriously injured, nothing happens.

I don't think it triggers a Nerve test either as it seems to happen only when the fighter becomes Seriously injured (i.e. their status changes from something else to SI), but the way it's worded is a bit unclear.

Reactions: NoOneII.

NoOneII.

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Ah, one more:
I could not find a definitive answer to that in the book, just a loose and kinda unclear in the acrobatics skill.

Can a model move through other friendly models, per default?
Like when Karl Krumpa is standing in a doorway, and Jessica the Jaded wants to get through that door?

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Ah, one more:
I could not find a definitive answer to that in the book, just a loose and kinda unclear in the acrobatics skill.

Can a model move through other friendly models, per default?
Like when Karl Krumpa is standing in a doorway, and Jessica the Jaded wants to get through that door?

I’m sure the answer to this is yes and it was in one of the earlier rulebooks, but I believe it has dropped out of the later rulebooks.

What this means is that the latest rulebook doesn’t say you can or you can’t do it. The only things it says affect movement are terrain and the 1” rule.

CanvasBack

Oct 11, 2021
So I have a question. Maybe my internet searching skills are failing me but it seems like there have been a bunch of changes to Necromunda since I was originally introduced to the game back in the 1990s. My questions is, If I have old goliath miniatures from the 1990s that are painted and on 28 mm bases are they legal in the latest edition? Somebody has told me that Goliaths have larger bases and that it's part of the rules now that they have to use the larger bases, is this true? If it is true are there any models from the earliest edition that you can still use? Thanks in Advance for your thoughtful responses.

NoOneII.

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
So I have a question. Maybe my internet searching skills are failing me but it seems like there have been a bunch of changes to Necromunda since I was originally introduced to the game back in the 1990s. My questions is, If I have old goliath miniatures from the 1990s that are painted and on 28 mm bases are they legal in the latest edition? Somebody has told me that Goliaths have larger bases and that it's part of the rules now that they have to use the larger bases, is this true? If it is true are there any models from the earliest edition that you can still use? Thanks in Advance for your thoughtful responses.
Honestly, Necromunda is an unbalanced jumbly mess hoewever you play it. (It is a VERY FUN unbalanced jumbly mess, mind you.)
For sure, base size does make a minor difference in how things play.

But compared the a million or two other things skewing the balamce the effect of bases is absolutely negligible. I'd say go at it and have fun playing 'munda.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
Base sizes are not mentionned anywhere in the rules.
People who insist you use 32mm bases will probably also point out that OG Goliath miniatures are way tinier than the new ones, which makes just as much of a difference as base size.

More importantly, some old miniatures wield weapons that are no longer legal under the latest iteration of the rules. For instance, a Goliath ganger can no longer wield a lasgun, an autogun or an autopistol.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
My questions is, If I have old goliath miniatures from the 1990s that are painted and on 28 mm bases are they legal in the latest edition?
As above, yes and no. Yes, they’re usable and the bases are bigger on the new ones because the models are bigger! Plus GWs response has always been to use the bases they came on. Yours came on 25mm bases.

No, in the sense of new weapon restrictions. For pure rule of cool I’d say let them have their original guns. It’s hardly deal breaking.