Ben's Bits n Bobs

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Worse comes to worst you could just flatten the outside of the slings with a file once dry, it would look more strappy and less ropey.

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I did consider filing/scraping them down a bit, but think they're already too small and fragile. While I haven't dug out the GW skaven sling, I suspect they're smaller than that, so I guess they'll do.

I didn't post the progress with the Carnival. Here are the tainted ones:

You'll have to put up with the blurry photo for now, as I'm still relying on my gf's phone. I have now ordered a new camera, which I'm hoping will be up to the job.

Anyway, this gives you an idea of what they're like. Rather like my old dregs in fact, though with night goblin hoods, which not only have a jester-like look but also make them almost man-height (to avoid any arguments over that).

I was originally thinking of doing their body one colour and the hoods another, but then decided to try a quartered pattern with blue and green. I decided blue would be the troop's main colour, so I can use my Frostgrave cultists as brethren. That means they'll be pulling double duty (Tzeentch Possessed and Carnival) which will limit my options a bit if playing with someone else, but easier than making two whole warbands.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
New camera arrived today, so here's a much better shot (with some more painting progress):

I've not figured out all the fancy setting yet, but this is macro mode. Annoyingly, it looks like the flash won't work in that setting, so reliant on a lamp, but anyway I think it's a big improvement on the above picture.

Now I can take half-way decent pictures, here's my carnival master:

I think the body was from a lot of bits that @spafe sent me a while back, though I do have other Bretonnians - including some that also arrived today.

Fluff-wise, he's the carnival fortune teller. No regular eyesight (hence the blindfold) but can see into the future. Do I need permission to call him @Azzabat ?

Ned Noodle

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Aug 26, 2016
Leyland
Always really fancied doing a carnival of chaos warband myself, yours are looking great so far. The little hooded guys are really cool and your carnival master, who is quiet similar to the secret Santa gift I made this year. I think we had very similar ideas behind the fluff for are blind wizards/wyrds.
Even spookier, mine was intended for someone else, I wonder who? ;)

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'm thinking that perhaps I should change the fluff a bit. If he were blind, then he wouldn't need a blindfold. Maybe he sees present and future at once, but this is really confusing, so he needs the blindfold to shut out his vision of the present.

Anyway, I got the heroes most of the way done, meaning I applied a wash over the basecoat:

At this point, just have to do a few touch ups and finish the bases before they're ready for the table.

(Not the greatest photo. Perhaps I still need more practice with the new camera.)

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The ones from further away didn't seem any better, though perhaps I should try the zoom. Anyway, you may not be able to see a lot of difference, but here they are finished:

Here's another shot without the brutes, which came out clearer. I'm particularl happy with the tainted ones - I gave their robes some edge highlighting, to make the pattern clearer.

The Finish Your Stuff Challenge requires a minimum of a 5-model unit or a character each month. I could argue that these are five characters, so perhaps I should have spread them out!

For my own painting record, I call a regular rank and file model 1 point, elite infantry 1.5, unit command group 2 each, and characterts 3 points. On that basis, I classed the master as 3, the two tainted ones as 2 each, and the two brutes 1.5 each (perhaps slightly generous on that one, but it reflects the fact they weren't batch painted).

I've done these and the three bears and three monkeys so far this month. So, that's 11 models down and only 4 new ones bought so far.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
With one band done (well, for now) I figured I may as well apply some paint to the Possessed that I made before Christmas - largely because they were sitting around already primed. Here's the current progress:

I wanted the colourful look the GW studio used back in the day, but I don't know how to blend it into flesh - or whether I should skip normal flesh colours altogether. Perhaps I'll have to hope the magic wash sorts it all out, like usual...

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Slight break in proceedings - it's been a busy week, so haven't managed to do much in the evenings - but I finally got round to buying a pot of GW's Nighthaunt Gloom technical paint. (For those not already aware of this, GW paints go up in price from 4th Feb.)

I'd wanted to do some sort of ghost/wraith things for a while. When the new AoS chainrasps came out, I thought I might pick some of those up, but they turned out surprisingly expensive and I realised they were probably a bit impractical. Then when the army of the dead guys ended up in the new LOTR starter box, I thought I might be able to pick some of those up cheap. But I want to be reducing the pile, not buying more...

Then I realised that I had some chaos warriors sitting around that would probably work fine if I just gave them skull heads and some appropriate shields. Here's a test model that I knocked up tonight:

I don't like these warriors too much because of their static poses, but I don't think it's so bad for ghosts. And I don't mind either that the size is a bit off for the same reason. I'm not sure about the shield though. I'm inclined to think something larger would be better, although I don't want to cover up too much of the warrior either.

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Aside from playing around with chaos warrior wraiths, I've been thinking about comp #27. I'm a bit stuck for inspiration, since the theme - a stranger in a strange land - is so open as to allow all sorts. As regular readers will know, I'm more into fantasy stuff like Mordheim and Frostgrave, so I want to stick to something that might be useful in those games.

Unfortunately, I literally just finished a Carnival of Chaos warband (well, the heroes anyway). As travelling players, they might have fit the bill well. The competition blurb mentions a halfling thief, in the style of The Hobbit. I recently made a bunch of halflings too and did think it an oversight not to have included a thief among them. However, they were one of my entries for comp #26, so I don't particularly want to do the same thing again for another competition. (Plus, they came last, despite there being another entry by me!)

I figured I'd probably make some kind of character model, with the potential to be used in various places, but that still leaves quite a few possibilities open. I thought maybe a heritor for Ghost Archipelago. (For those not in the know: 200 years ago a bunch of people gained superpowers by drinking from a magic pool. Their descedents inherited these powers, but each generation weaker then the one before. The heritors are seeking the magic pool in order to renew their powers.)

One trouble with this is that heritors don't look particularly distinctive - they can look like just about anything, as the official models illustrate. However, one particular attractive of this idea is that the book allows you to roll up random abilities for your heritor. (I missed out on the old Realm of Chaos-type stuff, but this always appealed to me.) So, I thought I'd give it a go and see whether this would give me any inspiration. Here's what I rolled:

Regrowth – heals permanent injuries (out of game).

Waterlung – counts as amphibious.

Mitigation – reduce any damage suffered to 5 points max.

Catch missile – can catch arrows/bolts when shot from more than 6” away.

Intuition – automatically win initiative roll.

Such a heritor would probably be pretty tough, but not look too battle-scarred, since any injuries would heal in time. Other than that though, it doesn't give much to go on. I may simply ignore these rolls and look for some abilities that I'd like to model. Or scrap the idea altogether and make something else...

(Another idea I considered was a Chronomancer - someone who's travelled through time, rather than space - but I won't use that for the comp since a) I already started making one and b) I subsequently decided this wasn't a priority for me anyway.)

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
In amongst this tinkering and musing, I have managed a little painting. I think the Possessed are now finished, in time to be included in this month's Finish Your Stuff quota.

Sadly, this was the best picture I could manage, even with some editing. (Yes, I spliced two photos as I couldn't get all three in focus at once.)

I'm happy with how they turned out anyway. I suppose the Carnival Master above can double as a Magister, but I still need some Mutants really. Maybe the Tainted Ones could fill in there too actually...

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'm not sure whether I'm worse at painting models or photographing them, but here's my January FYSC entry:

I tried to show everything in the middle and select some highlights round the edge.

Total:
6 toy animals - just slapped on bases and repainted.
5 Carnival of Chaos heroes - wholly made and painted during the month.
3 Possessed heroes - were already made and undercoated, but painted this month.

I don't want to commit myself to a specific 'pledge' but here are my current goals/targets that I aim to work towards next month (in no particular order):
5 Skaven heroes for Mordheim - ones I largely made before Christmas, but still need painting.
More toy animals (I got round to ordering Renedra bases, so perhaps the big cats).
Something for Yak comp #27.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'm a bit disappointed in the new camera I just bought. The macro setting was my main desideratum really, given that I don't use a camera for much else, but browsing Amazon it wasn't always easy to see whether a given camera had a macro setting, let alone whether it was any good.

Admittedly, it was only a cheap model, but it's much worse than my girlfriend's old camera - which I think had been a good one when new, but was very old (like at least 10 years, maybe 20). I assumed that, like computers, what's now a 'basic model' would be at least as good as one that old.

Then again, maybe the slightly out of focus shots flatter my paint jobs...

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
I have a good camera I haven't been able to use in forever and a garbage one that I've used to post all the pictures here. The trick I've found it to just take at least 5 photos of the one picture you want to get. At least one of them will be passable :)
P.S. finally got a new battery charger so I might try the other camera

Fold

Gang Hero
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
You might also look into lighting and backdrops if you want to improve the photography. There’s lots of guides out there but in a nutshell a neutral curved background (like a plain sheet of paper propped against the wall) and soft, even, white lighting cast from behind camera is what you need (these will probably make it easier for the camera to focus as well).

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure there are things I could do better, even with this camera, but it's nowhere near as good as the old one *in the same conditions*. If you look at some of my older photos, like the one below, I think they came out fine without messing around with backgrounds and lighting.

While I'm digging this old one out, these are the guys I'd use as Brethren in my Mordheim Carnival. I suppose I ought to do some daemons at some point, but I have old metal ones that will do for now, unless Mordheim really takes off.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I used to use black construction paper as a background because of the natural variations in the color (which made me think of high school portrait pics), the ceiling light and my work light. the latest ones use the storage box the models are housed in and overhead lights that shine over my shoulder onto the model. and my phone's camera. nothing fancy at all.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
It's been a slow start to February. The Renedra bases that I ordered should have been here before the weekend, but didn't arrive until today. I got hardly anything done over the weekend anyway, due to feeling under the weather. Still, some paint has now been applied to the Skaven heroes:

To be honest, I'm not liking them much. First, it's a real struggle to tell what should be fur. Second, they've come out more colourful than I really intended. I didn't want to paint everything black, but perhaps I should have done. I suppose I still can...