Ben's Bits n Bobs

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I didn't want to paint everything black, but perhaps I should have done.
I came up with a possible solution; let me know how well it worked...

I have some old GW inks/washes (in hexagonal pots) including a black one. I figured that I'd just put this over most of their clothes, then make a little effort to rub it off some of the highlight parts.

The result is that they look pretty near-black, but the different colours that were there underneath help create slightly different shades of black. You can perhaps see it most clearly on the one in the middle. His cloak was blue, top purple, and trousers green. Those colours still show through a bit, at least up close, but in average tabletop conditions he'll probably appear mostly black.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I think I'll declare these done:

The two on the top are Black Skaven (basically Stormvermin), one with halberd and one with fighting claws. On the bottom we have the two Assassin Adepts (?) and the main Assassin dude (I tried to indicate poisoned weapons).

I already had a wizardy type - or two in fact - for my Frostgrave Gnolls. With these additions, I should be able to use them for Mordheim Skaven too, should the opportunity arise. More importantly, five models is enough to qualify as my Finish Your Stuff entry for February. (They were already almost fully built before Christmas, but only painted this month.)

Not sure what's next. Some Frostgrave soldiers arrived this morning. The plan is to make a second human warband, so the Skaven/Gnolls can be NPC monsters. I was thinking of going for a 'Robin Hood' look with them, hoping they could also double as human mercenaries in Mordheim too. Perhaps one could also look like a well-travelled stranger in a strange land...

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
As I said in the last post, I picked up a bunch of the original Frostgrave soldiers. I'd been undecided on which kit to get next, but it ended up being dictated by a bargain on eBay. A couple of nights of assembly and I have the first batch:

View media item 27083
Like I said above, I'm planning to go for a band of woodland outlaw types. (There is actually a 'forest outlaw' conversion kit available, though I don't plan to use that.) I dug out some Bretonnian accessory bits, but these models already have so many bags and pouches and things there wasn't room for much more. The guy with the lantern does have a rabbit hanging from his belt.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I only primed these yesterday afternoon, so I was quite happy to get this far in the evening:

View media item 27235
The green is a 50:50(ish) mix of 'Christmas Green' and 'Sage'. It came out a bit brighter than I expected, but will be toned down by the wash.

I'm unsure where to go next though. If I pick out all the belts, straps, bags, and so on then they'll end up more brown than green...

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
With those guys done, I fancied a change of pace before tackling another batch. I did get round to buying some Renedra bases for my animals but then I was in The Works on Friday and saw these:

View media item 27737
The larger discs are about 40mm. I know some people use MDF bases, would these work? I worry a bit that they might warp with glue and paint. I'd prefer plastic, but these were so much cheaper... (The Renedra bases were about £4.50 for ten. This pack had 38 of the large ones, so little over 5p each.)

Reactions: =][=SW1=][=

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
If you seal them/paint them on both sides I don't think they will warp. But maybe get a second opinion, as I'm not 100%.:)

Reactions: Ben_S

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
I think they’ll be fine just painted like a normal base - try a couple and leave them for a week or so.

Chaos Moomin

Ganger
Jun 30, 2018
UK
My brother used some of the hexagonal versions of those to make some markers for Shadow War, and they remain unwarped after painting. No glue though.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I decided to have a go at basing the big cats on these wooden discs:

View media item 27947
Gorgeous weather this weekend, so wish I had a few more things to spray prime or varnish. I did get these done and it's really highlighted a big mold line down the face of the lions. Will attempt to scrape it off or perhaps cover it with Milliput before proceeding further.

=][=SW1=][=

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 7, 2017
Manchester UK
That's a great find. :)

Seal or texture with something that won't shrink like milliput or just superglue your texture materials rather than using PVA.

sump dweller

Mr Fancy Pants
Honored Tribesman
Sep 6, 2014
County Kerry - Ireland
I like those Frostgrave guys, but those Skaven with Empire arms, and your carnival of choas are fantastic! (It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how old a kit is, someone still finds a use for it that I have not encountered before like the bandaged Flagellant head on the Brettonian body - it looks great.)

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Things have been slow for various reasons, including having to work Saturday, but I've made some progress with the lions. In part, the slow going has helped because I've been very careful with the wooden base.

I spray primed it (both sides) but since then have used my regular watered down PVA and wash. I was worried that last step might cause it to warp, but not noticed anything yet:

View media item 28434
The good news is that the nasty mold lines on the face don't show, but there are some prominent lines elsewhere, including tails and paws/claws. Not sure whether to have another go at those or just to hope they don't show so badly once it's fully painted.