Ben's Bits n Bobs

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I had been hoping to prime these guys today, but after last night's chat with @sump dweller I ended up making a third one:

View media item 30475
They're a 0-2 choice in the list but, as I said, it was rather gratuitous to make the first two anyway...

I'm now wondering about the one with the drum stick. He originally had a gong-type thing in his left hand, so it made sense. Now he has a bunch of bells, but I figure he just needs to rattle those rather than hit them with anything. Should I swap his right hand again? If so, what for?

(I did have an idea for one holding an actor's mask, but I think it would be over-busy to add that to one of these and I'm trying to resist the temptation to make a fourth, partly because I'm out of that zombie torso...)

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I've started base coating those plaguebearers, though haven't got far enough to make it really worth showing an update yet. I did mention that they were partly based on some old 40k daemon conversions/proxies that I made years ago. As it happens, I just dug out the pics to share with someone on Facebook, so I thought I'd post them here:

View media item 30787
Prior to the release of plastic Plaguebearers, I know a lot of people converted Ghouls or Bloodletters, but I think my Skeleton version was original. While not the best looking, it was easy to do and clear what they were.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The girlfriend's been away since Sunday, so I've had space to myself, though not necessarily a lot more time (have to do all my own cooking, washing up, etc). Anyway, I got distracted by making some archways out of foam blocks after seeing this video:

If you have a good memory, you may recall that I had some foam blocks like that. I still had most of them unused, so started cranking these out, with some modifications to the design. My arch uses only 8 blocks rather than 10:

View media item 30941
This means I was able to make 6 arches out of a single bag (50 blocks), plus I had a few spares from my first bag which I plan to make some ruined arches with.

I want to use some bits for detail. Annoyingly I know I had old-style dwarf shields (the ones with the separate bosses/icons) but I can't find them. I may give in and use some undead ones, even though I don't share GW's love of skulls on everything...

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Having made six of these arches, plus a couple of broken/ruin bits, I wasn't sure what to do next. That is, I didn't know whether to apply Mod Podge to the foam first or to try painting them a bit and then Mod Podging, since the Mod Podge might fill in some of the detail.

I decided to try a wash, hoping to get it into all the little gaps. Since the weather was nice, I was able to do this potentially messy bit out in the garden - which also meant that if the foam soaked up too much liquid it would dry out soon. Here's where I'm at now:

View media item 31032
They got a home-made muddy brown all over then, because the bright foam colours were still showing in some of the joints, I spent today doing a targeted application of an old GW black ink wash. There are still bits of bright foam showing in some of the gaps though, so I'm thinking that I'll change tactics and go for Mod Podge. If that fills in some of the gaps a bit, then I just need to paint over that and not into the tiny gaps. I hope.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Mod podge sounds like the way to go. The styrofoam pieces I did recently still show texture through pva and black paint. I think I'll give them a round of cheap caulk I've got lying around, then paint again.

Looking forward to seeing how you do with these arches, I really like the 'use what you've got' - approach for various terrain pieces.

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I've been Mod Podging and basing the arches, though it's not terribly exciting. While waiting for glue to dry, I realised that I hadn't touched my Plaguebearers in about a week. It was starting to look like I might not finish anything this month, but I made some good progress this afternoon/evening and got all the basecoats down:

View media item 31126
I don't think I've shown any pictures of them, but there are also four individual Nurglings getting done at the same time, so seven models. (Ok, perhaps the Nurglings should only count as half, but that's still five...)

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I really don't think there's any skill involved, the way I do it. I know some people get great results 'painting with washes'. I just go for a fairly neat basecoat and then wash all over - it's barely a step up from dipping, but I only aspire to tabletop quality.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I used to do ok, but I think I've begun over-thinning my paints at some point. I'll paint my Ratskins soon enough, that should let me improve a bit.

Reactions: Ben_S

CaptainDangerous

Chaotic-good 2nd Company Captain
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
That one pulling the zombies intestine like a dog lead....:sick::sick:
:LOL:
Looking great!
If you can be bothered tho, you should go over them again with the same colours but just on the more prominent areas! The wash darkens the tone which makes the same colour, reapplied, act as a subtle highlight!

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
If you can be bothered tho, you should go over them again with the same colours but just on the more prominent areas! The wash darkens the tone which makes the same colour, reapplied, act as a subtle highlight!
I do a little of that sometimes - if you look back at the Carnival heroes, I did it there - but usually I can't be bothered to do much of that. It can add quite a bit more time if you rehighlight everything and (when I do it) the resulting highlights tend not to be well blended.

I finished what I was working on last night but was still watching tv, so I knocked these grave stones up with bits that I had in reach:

View media item 31164
I'm expecting to be able to finish them this month, to boost my otherwise fairly meagre effort. They're not the most useful bits of scenery, but I hope they'll add some character to tables.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
And here we go:

View media item 31263
Part of me is tempted to add some text to the flat ones, but in my experience it's often not that visible on old grave stones, so I think I'm justified in taking the lazy route.

They're not much use on their own, but can help turn a regular bit of building into something like a churchyard. Perfect for FrostGRAVE too.

Now on to thinking about Yakcomp #28...

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'd been getting rather fed up of these, after multiple rounds of basecoating by hand, but I'd forgotten how quickly they start to look good now that I'm on to the drybrushing:

View media item 31345
As you can see, six complete archways plus two ruined sections. It's a large enough batch to be a bit of a pain but, once I'm done, I should have a decent number for various purposes.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I picked up another box of Frostgrave soldiers this week, even though I hadn't finished the first it was a good deal on eBay and I thought I'd need a few more to round out my options. (I fear my warbands will become small armies...)

Anyway, I didn't need 20 more of them and I'd been looking at a lot of post-apocalyptic stuff again lately, so this is what I just came up with:

View media item 31420
I think these guys could also make decent ash waste nomads.

EDIT: Just realised that this is post 1000 in this thread.

Last edited: