Ben's Bits n Bobs

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Not totally happy with how the painting has come out, but it was just a quick wash and drybrush job, so will do for a bit of scenery.

View media item 35627
The one thing I do want to correct is the water inside the well. It's actually had about four different colours now, involving mixes of blue, green, and brown, but I haven't really been happy with any of them.

Any suggestions? (If it makes a difference, I'm currently intending to but some 5-minute epoxy over the top for cheap water effects.)

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
The well looks perfectly fine! Not sure about the water though, as you mentioned. Hard to tell from the picture, but my thinking is there shouldn't be too much effect in the water, as it would be fairly still in a well. Just do it solid colour with the epoxy over top, or at most a little lighter in the middle and maybe along a third of the edge, to simulate light. /my2pence

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Finished:

View media item 35721
It may not look all that different from the previous photo. The main changes are the green moss on the inside and the water effects stuff. Given it was my first real attempt at doing something like that, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. The much repainted blue/green/brown effect in the bottom looks ok too, at least in my opinion.

Now this is something I can use for the Well of Dreams and Sorrows scenario in Frostgrave.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Not 100% sure. No real paint, certainly, but the last thing before the epoxy was another brown wash. I think that was after the previous photo, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: MedMos

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I started working on these between doing bits of the well (most of it was a case of doing something quick and waiting for it to dry) but I now have six more spellcasters assembled and ready to paint.

First of all, a Sigilist (centre) and apprentice (right):

View media item 35983
As I showed in earlier posts, I had originally planned to make apprentices out of Ghost Archipelago crew but after thinking about it a little I decided that regular soldiers might actually be a better bet. Here are three examples:

View media item 35984
The potential problem is whether they stand out from the rest of the warband, but I assume this can easily be done by painting them differently, rather than by using different bodies. I also decided, at this point, that I wouldn't necessarily keep making wizard/apprentice pairs. If I do a selection, each painted more indiividually, then I should be able to mix and match. That's the current plan anyway.

Unfortunately, I don't feel too enthused about painting more wizards just yet, so I think I may work on something else before coming back to these, but at least they're ready for a later month.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Here's my August entry for the Finish Your Stuff Challenge (cross-posted with that thread):

View media item 36077
Down the bottom is everything arranged in a little scene. I put detail shots up the top.

Wizard and apprentice were largely painted in July, but only finished in August.

Skeletons and the well were built and painted during August.

I've been working on something new, which will probably be my next post in a day or two.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Here's what I have been working on...

View media item 36153
I saw someone post beastmen in a Necromunda group on FB. (I've not seen them here, so assume he's not on here.) It's not the first time I've seen beastmen converted to 40k, but for some reason it inspired me to give the same idea a go myself. I have to say though that, while I'm happy enough with the outcome, I'm not particularly enjoying the process of making these. I guess I'll try a few more, trying to mix up the weapons a bit.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Looking solid... and yeah, converting beastmen is surprisingly difficult. I'm happy with my results for Gor but I'm glad there aren't more I have to deal with.

Reactions: trollmeat and Ben_S

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
I wish I had some of those beasties to convert. All I have are some monopose gors (that all had polearms but now have golaith guns, unpainted) and a few metal ungors (that i have yet to replace the spears with guns).

Really look forward to where you go with these. :)

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I managed to find some ungors today, which is handy. I may want to use some of them once I've done the gors.

Anyway, here are three more. Like I said, I wanted some more variety with weapons.

View media item 36200
On the left, I tried converting the lasgun into some kind of uzi-like counts-as autogun.

In the middle, I originally tried giving this guy a bolter, but he needed something longer. He has a flamer at the moment but, looking at the picture, I'm not happy with where his left hand is. I may try either moving the arm or finding another gun.

On the right, a club and stub gun (from Goliaths).

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Oops. Just over two weeks without an update and this thread had dropped to page 3.

In that time, I have made some progress on painting those beastmen, but I wasn't enjoying the process. I didn't know whether to soldier on or to jump into another project, but the new Yak Comp #30 basically made my mind up for me.

I wasn't too happy with the skaven heroes I did a while ago, but didn't want to re-make them. Browsing around though, I found a Clan Pestilens Mordheim list and remembered that I had some plague monks lying around, so I thought I'd do those.

It turns out I didn't have quite as many plague monks as I'd originally thought, so these first two required me to break up some already assembled and partially painted models (dark eldar mandrake proxies) in order to use the robed legs with ghoul torsos. It's not an original idea - I've seen it a few times before - but it works quite well I think.

View media item 37208
Sorry it's a bit dark, but I think you can make it out. I only intend two like that and the rest just normal plague monks.

The problem, I only belatedly realised, is that these guys have been de-tailed. I'm not sure what to do about that. I could try restoring their tails (I've cut tails off a fair few skaven in my time, so I must have the bits somewhere!). Alternatively, I might just de-tail the rest too. After all, my other skaven/gnolls are tail-less too. Here's an older photo to recap:

View media item 15822
(I'll probably reuse one of those spellcasters to make up the Pestilens heroes, and the regular guys as my clanrat henchmen, so it's only really five new Pestilens heroes needed, for now at least.)

Comments and suggestions welcome...

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
So, just yesterday I canibalise my old Mandrake conversions, then today I was looking in a box and found three more plague monks that were only assembled and undercoated. While I obviously couldn't have used them as they were (because I want this for the challenge), there would have been less work undone if I'd instead hacked these apart. And, more relevantly, they still had tails, which would probably solve the dilemma in my previous post...

View media item 37338
Left: A new plague monk that I just made. I cut down one of the swords to make a knife and a staff to make a club. He still has a tail for now, though I'm still trying to make up my mind about that.

Centre: This is one of the PM-ghoul conversions from yesterday, but with better lighting.

Right: One of the older plague monks that I just found, just to illustrate my frustration. I won't be using them any further for now.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I don't particularly mind hacking up the Mandrakes, as I never finished them, don't think I ever used them, and doubt I ever will. The annoying bit is that I could have made rats with tails - though I didn't even notice the absence of tails until I'd practically finished these.