Ben's Bits n Bobs

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Here's my August entry for the Finish Your Stuff Challenge (cross-posted with that thread):

View media item 36077
Down the bottom is everything arranged in a little scene. I put detail shots up the top.

Wizard and apprentice were largely painted in July, but only finished in August.

Skeletons and the well were built and painted during August.

I've been working on something new, which will probably be my next post in a day or two.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Here's what I have been working on...

View media item 36153
I saw someone post beastmen in a Necromunda group on FB. (I've not seen them here, so assume he's not on here.) It's not the first time I've seen beastmen converted to 40k, but for some reason it inspired me to give the same idea a go myself. I have to say though that, while I'm happy enough with the outcome, I'm not particularly enjoying the process of making these. I guess I'll try a few more, trying to mix up the weapons a bit.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Looking solid... and yeah, converting beastmen is surprisingly difficult. I'm happy with my results for Gor but I'm glad there aren't more I have to deal with.

Reactions: trollmeat and Ben_S

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
I wish I had some of those beasties to convert. All I have are some monopose gors (that all had polearms but now have golaith guns, unpainted) and a few metal ungors (that i have yet to replace the spears with guns).

Really look forward to where you go with these. :)

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I managed to find some ungors today, which is handy. I may want to use some of them once I've done the gors.

Anyway, here are three more. Like I said, I wanted some more variety with weapons.

View media item 36200
On the left, I tried converting the lasgun into some kind of uzi-like counts-as autogun.

In the middle, I originally tried giving this guy a bolter, but he needed something longer. He has a flamer at the moment but, looking at the picture, I'm not happy with where his left hand is. I may try either moving the arm or finding another gun.

On the right, a club and stub gun (from Goliaths).

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Oops. Just over two weeks without an update and this thread had dropped to page 3.

In that time, I have made some progress on painting those beastmen, but I wasn't enjoying the process. I didn't know whether to soldier on or to jump into another project, but the new Yak Comp #30 basically made my mind up for me.

I wasn't too happy with the skaven heroes I did a while ago, but didn't want to re-make them. Browsing around though, I found a Clan Pestilens Mordheim list and remembered that I had some plague monks lying around, so I thought I'd do those.

It turns out I didn't have quite as many plague monks as I'd originally thought, so these first two required me to break up some already assembled and partially painted models (dark eldar mandrake proxies) in order to use the robed legs with ghoul torsos. It's not an original idea - I've seen it a few times before - but it works quite well I think.

View media item 37208
Sorry it's a bit dark, but I think you can make it out. I only intend two like that and the rest just normal plague monks.

The problem, I only belatedly realised, is that these guys have been de-tailed. I'm not sure what to do about that. I could try restoring their tails (I've cut tails off a fair few skaven in my time, so I must have the bits somewhere!). Alternatively, I might just de-tail the rest too. After all, my other skaven/gnolls are tail-less too. Here's an older photo to recap:

View media item 15822
(I'll probably reuse one of those spellcasters to make up the Pestilens heroes, and the regular guys as my clanrat henchmen, so it's only really five new Pestilens heroes needed, for now at least.)

Comments and suggestions welcome...

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
So, just yesterday I canibalise my old Mandrake conversions, then today I was looking in a box and found three more plague monks that were only assembled and undercoated. While I obviously couldn't have used them as they were (because I want this for the challenge), there would have been less work undone if I'd instead hacked these apart. And, more relevantly, they still had tails, which would probably solve the dilemma in my previous post...

View media item 37338
Left: A new plague monk that I just made. I cut down one of the swords to make a knife and a staff to make a club. He still has a tail for now, though I'm still trying to make up my mind about that.

Centre: This is one of the PM-ghoul conversions from yesterday, but with better lighting.

Right: One of the older plague monks that I just found, just to illustrate my frustration. I won't be using them any further for now.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Bad luck, sucks to hack up stuff unnecessarily. But looking forward to the ratty explorers!

1 comments

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I don't particularly mind hacking up the Mandrakes, as I never finished them, don't think I ever used them, and doubt I ever will. The annoying bit is that I could have made rats with tails - though I didn't even notice the absence of tails until I'd practically finished these.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Ok, I said I was going to re-use the wizard I made before, but I ended up doing a plague priest and sorcerer. Partly just for the sake of completeness, but also because I had a bit more building time before I had time to prime them, which I did this morning.

View media item 37546
There's six in total, making the heroes for a Mordheim Pestilens list. If I'm to qualify for this month's FYSC, then it will probably have to be by finishing these - or at least some of them. (If I run out of time, I suppose either the priest or sorcerer alone can qualify as a character model. Indeed, I could argue any of them is a character, given that they're all heroes, but I'm aiming to do them all as a batch anyway.)

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I did do a few more bits on the plague monks, particularly the visible boils and sores. And I took a slight risk by varnishing them in damp conditions just to meet the FYSC deadline for September, but thankfully they seem to have come out ok.

View media item 37940
I can already see a couple of things I wish I'd done a bit differently, but I'm happy with how they came out. I can use these as six Clan Pestilens heroes to make a Pestilens warband for Mordheim (using my regular skaven clanrats for the henchmen).

I'm not sure whether the half-ghoul guys should be the higher ranking ones or the lower ranking ones though.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I've come down with a cold, which has been doing the rounds at work. Still, after a few days of not doing any hobby - or having much inspiration - I was thinking of ordering some of Fire Forge's nice new zombies, but realised I wouldn't have them ready for Hallowe'en. I ought to do something with the pile of stuff I already have, but what? Finally, I had an idea. (It was bound to happen eventually...)

A while ago I bought a single sprue of Gripping Beast Arabs, with the intention of using them in Frostgrave. That was before the release of the Frostgrave wizards kit, which has more than covered my needs, so this sprue had been sitting around untouched. But it occurred to me that some scenarios call for 'Death Cultists' and I'm already using my FG Cultist models as one of my warbands, so it would be good to have something distinct. Here's what I knocked together:

View media item 38180
Bodies and arms from the Gripping Beast Arabs (not the greatest for posing).
I swapped out the original spears for axes/maces from Fire Forge foot sergeants.
Shields are from Gripping Beast dark age warriors (I wanted all round and all the same).
Heads from Frostgrave Cultists.

Trying to decide how to paint them. Probably red and/or purple mainly. They should be a fairly quick and easy job, which is good as I'm still fuzzy-headed...

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I realised I only had 5 of those Arabs, but some scenarios call for 6 death cultists, so I decided to add the apprentice necromancer that I made earlier as a potential leader/6th model. And now I'm getting some colour on them:

View media item 38325
Wasn't sure what colour(s) to use to contrast the red. I went with green shields in the end, despite fearing it might look Christmassy. The hoods aren't staying white (which looks too KKK/Handmaid's Tale) but I'm currently intending to do them a pale yellow (buttermilk/linen sort of colour) so they needed a lighter base first.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I did consider white hoods, but rejected them for reasons given above. And now I've painted over the white I still think it was the right choice - although I'm not sure whether to wash them Fuegan Orange or Seraphim Sepia (or perhaps something else).

Anyway, this is where I'm at. Pretty much done with basecoats and ready for wash:

View media item 38480

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I have done a wash on the guys above, but don't have picture updates yet. Instead, I'm thinking about something else... Long-time readers with good memories may recall my Scavvies / Gamma Lords:

View media item 19599
I'd been wanting to add Scalies, but hadn't worked out how. I think the new Blood Bowl Lizardmen might just have provided an answer. Not seen them in person yet but I expect most players will want more skinks, so I hope the saurus will be easy/cheap to pick up on eBay, etc.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Two other projects have been started and finished since I did anything to the beastmen, but I figured that I should get them finished:

View media item 38734
Still finding them a bit annoying, so will settle for 'it will do' just to get them finished. It's not like I have a real purpose for them anyway...

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
The well turned out great, did you end up using the 5 minute epoxy you mentioned? Or just the water affects?

I'm also digging those wizardly types: a nice and varied bunch.

Edit: it looks like I missed a page of cultists and beastmen... which are also looking great.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Yes, it was just the 5 minute epoxy glue stuff from Poundland. Not sure how well it shows in the photos. It probably isn't as good as the real water effects stuff (which I've never tried) but it is cheaper, especially if you only want a little.

Reactions: Nuttowntau

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Between work, tiredness, and weather, I've not done anything for a week. To be honest, I've not broken that duck now either, but I do have a purchase to show off:

View media item 38975
I first saw these dinosaur packs in Poundland some time ago, but it's taken several visits to get the one I wanted.

I figure this will make a good razorbeak.

Reactions: CaptainDangerous