Ben's Bits n Bobs

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I got the razorbeak based (32mm base) and started paint - this is just a single colour (clay) and wash (Reikland fleshshade) so far.

View media item 39330
Despite having tried both a knife and sanding thingy, some of the moldlines were next to impossible to remove, because of the soft plastic. I don't think they'll be too obvious on the table though. More annoying was that some of the paint, particularly on the underside, seemed to rub off as I tried to apply paint with the brush. I'm guessing perhaps the primer didn't get into those areas well. I've just tried varnishing what I have, in the hope that will hold what's there while I apply more paint.

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
If all else fails you can try stripping him and that'll hopefully get rid of the paint that rubs off. I'm not sure if plastic dinosaur technology has improved over the last two decades or so.. but I remember mine slowly turned mono-colour because my mom insisted on washing them every so often. I guess they just airbrush a few details on in the factory, and I doubt they use high quality paint or bother sealing it afterwards so it should be easy enough to get rid of it. It's probably the reason it reacts to your paints as well.

The wash is bringing out a nice ammount of detail; I'm sure he'll look good once he's a ll painted up.

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Next up... I finally picked up some of the Escape from Goblin Town goblins. (FYI, the old Hobbit starter set is OOP but the goblins themselves do not seem to be so, despite what some eBayers would have you believe.) My plan is to use them as ghouls:

View media item 39569
I spent a while trying to decide on skin colour. I think I'm going to go for something along the same lines as my Carnival of Chaos nurglings, since that was fairly easy and looks ok (imo anyway). So, primed grey and then painted sage green, except I then drybrushed a little buttermilk over the top of this to add a bit more variation.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'm generally someone who finds painting a chore, rather than fun in its own right, but these guys have been relatively enjoyable, probably because they're quick and easy even for someone of my limited skill:

View media item 39639
I want to pick out the boils and sores (which I probably should have done before the wash) but I'm not sure what colour would work with this skin tone. Maybe a pink-ish colour?

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Very nice look on them! I don't know what colour sores to go for, but pinkish might work. And won't be hard to paint over if you don't like it.

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
Perhaps you can add a bit of colour to the boils with a wash like 'Carroburg Crimson' or 'Druchii Violet' if you only apply a little bit using a small brush you can stain the boils and the surrounding skin area. That should look a little more subtle than painting the boils in a different colour, but I think it would look pretty good.

Nuttowntau

Ganger
Nov 12, 2013
The Hague, Netherlands
Those are some ghoulish goblins; they look suitable unhealthy.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Yeah, I hadn't previously looked closely enough to realise just how deformed they are. Would workgreat for Scavvy ghouls (in the Fanatic/LRB rules) or other post-apocalyptic stuff.

Reactions: Nuttowntau

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I've started on another batch of ghouls but, in between, I knocked out this guy:

View media item 39798
The picture's the right way up on my computer, so don't know why it's come out sideways.

Here's a genie for Frostgrave. I don't know whether blue genies are just a Disney thing or whether there's some older lore for that, but I thought I'd stick with that to make him distinctive.

My gf has christened him Lenin.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
You could see that these guys had been started in the previous photo. I didn't really get much done during the week, but now they're almost done I hope:

View media item 40071
I used the same colour for all loincloths and bags again, which was a bit lazy, but it's a different one from last time, so there will be more variety when I mix them up.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Here we have them finished. There's not a lot of difference from the previous shot really, although I've mixed them in with the first batch to show how they go together. I can easily identify which are which from the different loincloths, but they go well together I think.

View media item 40213
In the foreground is a little grave marker thing that I made out of a scrap piece of foamboard while I was working on them. Not the most useful piece of terrain (you can't hide behind it, etc) but it should help set a graveyard scene.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Although almost all of the very little gaming that I actually get to do is fantasy-based, I had a sudden urge to try the salt chipping rust effect so decided to roll with it. Here's the rusty metal base coat:

View media item 40428
This is the lid off some coffee drink. Only one shown, though I've done two. A simple job mostly done by spray (primer, then black, then silver) and a bit of red-orange drybrushing/stippling. They're just about ready for me to try the salting now, although I'm wondering whether I should apply a wash over the ridged area first.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
looking forward to how you do this too... I've tried a few times now and never got a result that worked (let alone looked good!)

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Here's my FYSC 'Fall 2019' entry:

View media item 40622
I hope that photo's clear enough. I've managed a valid entry every month of this 'fall' contest, but most have been fairly minimal. This one was so much stuff that I struggled to get a decent shot of it all (and had to try a bit of editing).

14 ghouls (Hobbit goblins)
2 razorbeaks
1 genie
1 grave/tomb thing

The genie had already been made and primed, and perhaps the razorbeaks too, but I believe all the actual painting happened during this month.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I was off work all last week but still don't seem to have achieved much. I have a list of jobs round the house that I'd hope to get done, including raking up the leaves that are now all over our front garden, but my back started playing up today so instead I spent most of the day assembling zombies in front of the tv...

View media item 40689
I bought two sprues of these Fireforge living dead zombies. I've now mostly assembled all twelve, though I still have a little tidying up to do and heads to attach. I must say, I probably like this kit a little less having tried out assembling them, but they're still much better than those hideous GW zombies.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Here's the hotly-anticipated update on the rust. The Youtube tutorials made it look easy, so I was disappointed to learn from the above comments that it's more difficult than that. So it proved.

View media item 40729
I applied salt with water (upper photo), which wasn't too difficult. Then sprayed green (middle photo). So far, so good. I think the secret lies in how long to leave it at this stage. I thought not too long or the paint would harden, sticking the salt down. Perhaps I tried to brush it off too soon though, as the paint was a gooey mess. Further, removing the salt and paint mixture left grey showing through (bottom photo). I'm thinking this may be part of the green paint, rather than back to the primer or bare plastic, but I don't really know.

There were some decent(ish) chips on the side, which were something like intended, but it really hasn't worked at all on the top. I guess this is why it's worth trying new techniques like this on junk, rather than models. It's made quite a nice corroded texture though, so I may at some point try repainting it. I'll probably just leave it for now though.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
i’ve never tried it, but i’d think letting it dry fully would be the way to go. that way when you brush it off there’s no “gooey mess” and you’ll get hard edges from the dried paint that would represent real chips and scuffs.

Got another coffee lid? (i’m very free with other people’s hobby time and resources)

1 comments