Ok, I said I was going to re-use the wizard I made before, but I ended up doing a plague priest and sorcerer. Partly just for the sake of completeness, but also because I had a bit more building time before I had time to prime them, which I did this morning.
View media item 37546
There's six in total, making the heroes for a Mordheim Pestilens list. If I'm to qualify for this month's FYSC, then it will probably have to be by finishing these - or at least some of them. (If I run out of time, I suppose either the priest or sorcerer alone can qualify as a character model. Indeed, I could argue any of them is a character, given that they're all heroes, but I'm aiming to do them all as a batch anyway.)
I did do a few more bits on the plague monks, particularly the visible boils and sores. And I took a slight risk by varnishing them in damp conditions just to meet the FYSC deadline for September, but thankfully they seem to have come out ok.
View media item 37940
I can already see a couple of things I wish I'd done a bit differently, but I'm happy with how they came out. I can use these as six Clan Pestilens heroes to make a Pestilens warband for Mordheim (using my regular skaven clanrats for the henchmen).
I'm not sure whether the half-ghoul guys should be the higher ranking ones or the lower ranking ones though.
I've come down with a cold, which has been doing the rounds at work. Still, after a few days of not doing any hobby - or having much inspiration - I was thinking of ordering some of Fire Forge's nice new zombies, but realised I wouldn't have them ready for Hallowe'en. I ought to do something with the pile of stuff I already have, but what? Finally, I had an idea. (It was bound to happen eventually...)
A while ago I bought a single sprue of Gripping Beast Arabs, with the intention of using them in Frostgrave. That was before the release of the Frostgrave wizards kit, which has more than covered my needs, so this sprue had been sitting around untouched. But it occurred to me that some scenarios call for 'Death Cultists' and I'm already using my FG Cultist models as one of my warbands, so it would be good to have something distinct. Here's what I knocked together:
View media item 38180
Bodies and arms from the Gripping Beast Arabs (not the greatest for posing).
I swapped out the original spears for axes/maces from Fire Forge foot sergeants.
Shields are from Gripping Beast dark age warriors (I wanted all round and all the same).
Heads from Frostgrave Cultists.
Trying to decide how to paint them. Probably red and/or purple mainly. They should be a fairly quick and easy job, which is good as I'm still fuzzy-headed...
I realised I only had 5 of those Arabs, but some scenarios call for 6 death cultists, so I decided to add the apprentice necromancer that I made earlier as a potential leader/6th model. And now I'm getting some colour on them:
View media item 38325
Wasn't sure what colour(s) to use to contrast the red. I went with green shields in the end, despite fearing it might look Christmassy. The hoods aren't staying white (which looks too KKK/Handmaid's Tale) but I'm currently intending to do them a pale yellow (buttermilk/linen sort of colour) so they needed a lighter base first.
I did consider white hoods, but rejected them for reasons given above. And now I've painted over the white I still think it was the right choice - although I'm not sure whether to wash them Fuegan Orange or Seraphim Sepia (or perhaps something else).
Anyway, this is where I'm at. Pretty much done with basecoats and ready for wash:
I have done a wash on the guys above, but don't have picture updates yet. Instead, I'm thinking about something else... Long-time readers with good memories may recall my Scavvies / Gamma Lords:
View media item 19599
I'd been wanting to add Scalies, but hadn't worked out how. I think the new Blood Bowl Lizardmen might just have provided an answer. Not seen them in person yet but I expect most players will want more skinks, so I hope the saurus will be easy/cheap to pick up on eBay, etc.
Yes, it was just the 5 minute epoxy glue stuff from Poundland. Not sure how well it shows in the photos. It probably isn't as good as the real water effects stuff (which I've never tried) but it is cheaper, especially if you only want a little.
I got the razorbeak based (32mm base) and started paint - this is just a single colour (clay) and wash (Reikland fleshshade) so far.
View media item 39330
Despite having tried both a knife and sanding thingy, some of the moldlines were next to impossible to remove, because of the soft plastic. I don't think they'll be too obvious on the table though. More annoying was that some of the paint, particularly on the underside, seemed to rub off as I tried to apply paint with the brush. I'm guessing perhaps the primer didn't get into those areas well. I've just tried varnishing what I have, in the hope that will hold what's there while I apply more paint.
If all else fails you can try stripping him and that'll hopefully get rid of the paint that rubs off. I'm not sure if plastic dinosaur technology has improved over the last two decades or so.. but I remember mine slowly turned mono-colour because my mom insisted on washing them every so often. I guess they just airbrush a few details on in the factory, and I doubt they use high quality paint or bother sealing it afterwards so it should be easy enough to get rid of it. It's probably the reason it reacts to your paints as well.
The wash is bringing out a nice ammount of detail; I'm sure he'll look good once he's a ll painted up.