Ben's Bits n Bobs

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I was intending these zombies to be the first thing I finished for September but, at the rate I'm going, I may get them done this month:

View media item 51703
Still a few bits to do, in particular various belts and straps (which I probably should have done earlier on).

The flesh is Sage (pale green), with a drybrush of Sand (bone). I then used Agrax Earthshade all over, rather than my usual Reikland Fleshshade, to avoid a healthy redness.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
No photos to show in this update I'm afraid. I'm currently trying to decide what to do next.

I have a few recent(ish) purchases, specifically FG Barbarians and two Oathmark boxes: dwarf heavy infantry (bought earlier in the year) and goblins (on the way).

I bought the Barbarians just because they were fairly cheap on eBay and I don't have a particular plan in mind for them. One idea was to make them into Ratskins (or other primitive tech-barbarian types for post-apocalyptic games). That would require sourcing suitable guns though.

My idea for the Oathmark sets is to finally build the chaos dwarf army I've wanted since 5th edition WFB. Not that I play WFB any more, but my thought is to make a small force that could be used for Dragon Rampant or similar. An upside there is that I could play dwarfs vs greenskins with my own models or combine those two forces should I ever actually play against someone else with their own army.

I think the dwarfs could look suitably evil with the right paint scheme (and perhaps some minor conversion) and the LotR-style goblins could make decent hobgoblins. The issue is just sorting out what to build and then sustaining enthusiasm through 60+ models I don't really need...

Hobgoblins would be the easiest place to start, so my thinking is the following units:
6 archers/scouts
12 with hand weapon and shield
12 sneaky gits

That would be three units for Dragon Rampant out of the box of 30. But the trouble is that I also want them to be useful for Frostgrave and similar (count-as gnolls), so I'd like to mix the weapons up a bit more. So, this requires a bit more thought...

One plan is to do do six warchers and then eight with HW&S, eight with a single hand weapon (no shield), and eight sneaky gits (armed with two hand weapons). That way, I could run the last 24 as two units of 12 with the equipment that I want, albeit with a minority wrongly equipped (who would be at the back and first removed as casualties). For instance, if I wanted the two units above:
8 HW&S plus 4 HW-only. The unit would still look like they had shields (mostly).
8 dual-wielders plus 4 HW-only. The unit would still look like they had additional hand weapons (mostly).

So far, so good, but this hasn't really factored in either command groups or the possibility of a few guys with two-handed (great) weapons. That said, I think I could muster up some extra hobgoblins by putting the spare heads on other models. I was wondering whether I could use some of those FG barbarian bodiess and, in fact, I found pictures from someone who had done just that, so it looks like it will work (perhaps just for my unit champions).

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Ok, a photo this time. I still had no inspiration for what to build (and don't have those goblins yet), but my eyes settled on these two:

View media item 46681
Those with long memories may remember me building them back in April. They'd been sat on my desk unpainted* for almost 5 months.

*They had been primed, the bases done brown, and the main areas of red blocked in, but that was it as of earlier this evening.

This is how they look now:

View media item 51990
I wanted to keep them mostly red(dish) but not have everything the same colour, so there are reddish browns, purples, and pinks on some smaller bits of clothing. I think the overall effect is still sufficiently red.

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Beautiful :)

Please make some kind of spell blast token with exploding presents to go with them :D

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Since I seem to be gearing up for a Christmas-themed Frostgrave scenario, I thought some snowmen would be useful. Something like the Copplestone snowmen - which can be seen here and here, but are only sold seasonally I believe. It doesn't look too difficult to scratchbuild something similar though.

I figured that I'd use some old, junk figures as a base. My first thought was orks, but I don't think I have any in poor enough condition. Whilst looking around, I found some old space marines that I'd caked in paint over 20 years ago. I'd since attempted to strip them but without much success, so they were basically ruined.

I'm using these as basic armatures for crude humanoid shapes. My current thinking is to use dryad bits to make stick arms and probably to coat the 'snow' in baking powder for texture (so no need to sculpt that). I'm not sure what to do about the heads yet. I could use an actual miniature head to get a proper face, or just stick with lumps of coal for eyes and either coal or a carrot as a nose.

Anyway, this is where I'm at:

View media item 52028

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Maybe leave some of the space marine shapes visible, knees pads/armour, and have them as chaos snowpeeps :D

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I have Santa and his apprentice* done, but the pictures I took weren't very good so I'll try again in daylight.

* I don't think she really fits as 'Mrs Claus'. I'm currently thinking of her as Santa's little helper though that, of course, sounds like a dog.

The Oathmark goblins arrived this evening. Not too happy with the seller as they were poorly packed and a bit squashed. Only one part actually broken though, so not sure I can be bothered to complain (as I certainly wouldn't bother to return them).

I already ordered some elves too (just a single sprue). And after a bit of digging through some old stuff, I managed to find a couple of Bretonnian shields with stag heads on. I showed them to my girlfriend and she immediately said 'you're going to paint the nose red aren't you?' Oh yes.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Here's the promised photo:

View media item 52181
I'm fairly pleased with the candy cane, though it is a bit messier round the back. It's actually sculpted like a coiled spring, rather than something segmented. That means if I'd kept following a particular 'band' all the way round, I'd end up painting the next band red too. So, I had to fudge it a bit, but the back won't be that visible.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I assembled four and a half of the elves in a single, marathon session last night.

View media item 52416
The reason I didn't finish the fifth (front left) is that I had the idea of giving him a scroll (from one of the FG wizard sets) to keep a list of who's been naughty and nice. Having done that though, I can't work out what to do with his left arm.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Maybe a quill? Is there an easily removable feather from an Escher or Dark Angel model? I think one of the old WFB Empire sets had loose feathers as ive attached them to some spare Marines’ helmets when I made a kill team ages ago.

edit: second rolled up scroll? The open scroll could have Naughty or Nice written st the top, making the rolled scroll Nice or Naughty.

Reactions: Ben_S and trollmeat

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Champion
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
Progress has been slow, partly because of work - which is going to be very busy for the next 6-8 weeks - but they are getting there.

View media item 52782
I think that sword is a little bent, which is a bit of a pain.
If it helps, I can't say which sword you mean.