Ben's Bits n Bobs

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Rather than just one model, I also got those animated skulls done:

View media item 55191
And a quick ghost/wraith. Not the best lighting, but the paint job is really basic anyway: heavy overbrush of a light grey, leaving some darker primer in the recesses, followed by a lighter drybrush of white, then washed the whole thing with Nighthaunt Gloom (is that the right name?) and finally another quick drybrush with the white.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
November FYSC entry:

View media item 55290
Here's my effort. In case there's any question over whether this counts as five models, the one back left is a Frostgrave spellcaster and thus qualifies as a character anyway.

I didn't expect to manage anything this month, but quite pleased to have done so in the end. This means I've managed an entry every month, albeit that none were particularly impressive. I'll settle for slow and steady. It's a shame I didn't have a few more days though, or I'd probably have got another model in.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
It's a shame I didn't have a few more days though, or I'd probably have got another model in.

In fact, here are two more:

View media item 55356
On the right, a barbarian wizard. Could be a witch (with mouse familiar on base) or a generic bad guy.

On the left, I'd originally intended her to be another witch but I figured if I used paler colours she could also be a thaumaturge or maybe just an apothecary. I used Seraphim Sepia instead of Reikland Fleshshade on this one, but had trouble getting the paint - particularly the yellow - smooth. Looks ok on the tabletop I guess.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Nice. I particularly like the one on the left, immediately thought 'thaumaturge!' Or I would, if I could remember the schools, I actually thought 'that healer type wizard class!' Excellent look for a thaumaturge, though.

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Lurking in the background of the previous photo, you may notice some little tokens. It's yet another set of treasure tokens. (I've made almost as many SETS of these as I've actually played games...)

I went to the Range yesterday and picked up some proper glitter glue. While I have both glitter and glue already, I thought this would make things easier - or less messy. So, here's what I have so far:

View media item 55690
The glue isn't dry yet, but I hope that will hold the glitter down.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I realised that I probably have far more wizards than I'll ever need. Part of the attraction is that they're more interesting than regular soldiers. So, I thought a good compromise would be to make some captain models.

View media item 55743
Bodies are regular cultist/soldier ones, but with some arms and heads from the FG Knight box. (I don't have this kit, but picked up a few spares from eBay.)

Pagumb

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
Lovely set of wizards. The Frostgrave kits are a really nice source of a huge variety of possible figures although I'm sure there are other manufacturer's models/bits in amongst them. Nice nice all around.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Thanks. I think the only thing that's not from a FG kit is the GW skull on the lich. Other than that, I think it's all from FG kits, though there's a good deal of kitbashing.

Reactions: Punktaku

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
No updates in almost three weeks? I'm afraid that's because I've not really done anything, due to some mix of motivation, work, and weather. But I'll quote here my hobby resolutions:

1. Covid-allowing, try to play more. In particular, try to get some games in with the gf if I can. That may be tricky as she sometimes finds games more stressful rather than enjoyable, and she's going to have a busy work schedule for the first part of the year, so I may have to compromise on what we play and when.

2. Diversify. Since our Blood Bowl group seemingly drifted apart pre-Covid, Frostgrave's been my only real gaming interest. While I don't have absolutely everything I could ever want, I've got much more than I need, so it may be time to look at other gaming systems. I fancy something futuristic (sci-fi or post-apoc). At the moment, I'm waiting to find out more about Stargrave (due in April), but Gorkamorka has always appealed to me. They look the current favourites, but it could be something else.

3. Get my hobby stuff more sorted. This doesn't necessarily mean buying less - I may have to buy more, for #2 - but I could really do with better storage and (Covid-allowing) selling off some of the things that I don't expect I'll ever use.

With regard to #2, I just ordered some Les Grognards. I'm not entirely sure what to do with them. I'd like to come up with a general colour scheme such that I could use them for Necromunda (Ash Waste Nomads, cultists - chaos or GSC - or Delaque proxies) or - in the unlikely event that I ever play it - 40k (as Imperial Guard, Chaos Cultists, Brood Brothers, or even Ad Mech), as well as fitting in with other mini-agnostic games (e.g. Zona Alfa, Stargrave, Scrappers).

I'm not expecting all of them to serve multiple purposes. But my thought was that if I made some 'generic grunts' that weren't too specific, then a few more individual models (leaders, icon bearers, etc) that were a bit more distinctive, then the majority might be usable for multiple purposes. But I'm having no joy coming up with a colour scheme that might suit all these different factions...

Last edited:

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
At first I thought Les Grognards was a meme or nickname for some classic models, but hey they're really real! 😁 Cool models, but I can understand why you're not happy choosing a colour scheme for all those potential uses... It's a very wide range you're considering them for. Maybe divide them in colours for "good" guys, "bad" guys, clean and dirty. Maybe you'll see an overlap?

SuboptimusPrime

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Jan 19, 2019
Sectoris XII | Castrum Vindobona | Austria
Sacre bleu, I forgot all about those guys after giving them a glance when they were first announced. I say if you ever do decide to play 40K, those would make pretty great Necromunda Ash wall veterans with the gas mask+helmet heads.

So if you need me, I'll be erasing all memory of these sprues from my brain to avoid starting a Guard army based on these guys...24 dudes in one box and it's only 35$...sweet baby Cawl, this spells trouble...

Reactions: Aulenback and Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I could have had a free (except for p&p) sprue of these a while back, as a reward for completing a Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy survey. They didn't have pictures at the time, so I didn't bother, but wish I had now.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Once you have them, any possibility one could goad you to do a bit of an unboxing? I'd really like to know what they're like in respects to plastic quality, detail depth and such and so on.

I looked at a couple of reviews/unboxings before deciding to order, so I don't know whether I'd have much to add.

(You can probably find text reviews out there, if you prefer that to a video.)

They''d also make great Vostroyan proxies

That's been done too: