Ben's Bits n Bobs

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Sorry for my inept communications, they only look incomplete now when compared to the new picture. I thought they looked fine before but better now, is what I'm trying to say.

Reactions: Ben_S

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Too bad about the ebay thing... Hope they show up. But still a like for the minis! I like the technique, it's useful for the Eschers I've got in the paint queue, I think.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I was giving up hope on the eBay thing. I ordered it last Saturday (20th) and the estmated delivery was this Saturday (27th). I was giving it until today before contacting the seller, but it just got marked as dispatched today. Now I'm hopeful again that it will turn up, which will make it even worse if it doesn't, as I'll have been disappointed twice...

Reactions: Unslain and MedMos

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
I had an eBay purchase once that I didn't hear anything from for about about a week, a couple of days after the supposed arrival date; I complained to the seller and it was dispatched the same day. There are sellers out there who either bundle all of their sends together in one trip to the post office, or try to get away with not sending you the things you pay for until you suggest that a bad review (or more stronger actions) will occur.

It didn't help that, due to the delayed sending it got sent to my work on a weekend instead of during the week like it should have done, so it was returned to the depot, and then the lorry it was on to return it to the depot somehow got misplaced, making it (along with an entire area's mail and packages) go missing for an extra week. Took me three weeks from purchase and three trips to the post office to get it in the end.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
This was a seller with a bunch of auctions ending on the weekend of 20th/21st, so I would have expected him to be able to post them all out after that. Wouldn't be so bad if he's sent a message and/or if it weren't 1st class post (not much point in that if it takes over a week to send). Still, I suspect he may make a loss on them, after fees and postage, so I can't complain too much so long as the stuff does show up. My worry was that he might realise this and not post it at all.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Those bits did turn up. Even though the seller took over a week to post them, he sent them 2nd class instead of 1st (as in the listing). I didn't complain though because I was right about him making a loss - it still cost him £3.20 just for postage, when I'd only paid £3 to begin with.

Ironically, I've spent the last two weeks ignoring things I had because I was waiting for these bits to turn up, but now I have them I decided to ignore them and start on those Grognards... Here are the first two:

View media item 58588
I'd been contemplating head and weapon swaps, but decided not to bother. They look fine as they are, so why make life more difficult for myself?

The guy on the left only has grenades at the moment, so I'm thinking he may want another weapon. The other has what I assume is supposed to be a meltagun proxy. I need to do some with basic rifles.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Here are some regular troopers:

View media item 58597
These three all the same body. I was experimenting slightly with poses. The first two even have the same arms, so the only difference between them is the direction of the head. The third one, obviously, has different arms.

I stole an idea from FB and cut the ends of the guns off, making them look more like a shotgun than a rifle. The person I was copying actually cut them a little shorter than this, but I figured I'd start out removing less as it's easier to remove more than to undo it. I think they look good like this, so intend to leave them as they are.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I took advantage of nice weather over the long Easter weekend to prime them, then spray black. Despite two or three sprays of black, I still need to apply more by brush, particularly on the underside/inside of their coats - difficult to reach that with the spray, without risk of filling in other details. Of course, my brush-on black was a different shade from the spray black, but not to worry as they then got the grey drybrush. Here's the result so far:

View media item 58645
My plan is to stick with the minimalistic style I've been using of late, so I'll do the bases in my normal brown and the coats - I think I've settled on dark blue for those - and then see what I think at that point, but my hope is that they may not need any more than that. We'll see.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
And here they are with blue coats:

View media item 58665
I rarely use 'proper' miniature paints, except for things like washes, technical paints, and metallics, but I did use GW macragge blue for these.

I'm wondering whether I should have gone a bit lighter. It shows ok in the picture - close up and directly under a light - but I'm not sure it will show so well in typical tabletop conditions. They may still look basically black and white.

I don't really fancy repainting everything, but I may highlight some of the folds to make it pop a little more.

Pagumb

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
They look good to me. I see blue and metal which makes them look like Skitarii a bit to me which is a very good thing in my book.👍

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I see blue and metal which makes them look like Skitarii a bit to me which is a very good thing in my book.👍

I was actually considering a kitbash with skitarii parts (they seem to fit fine) and/or red rather than blue, so they could have looked a lot more Ad Mech than they actually do here.

They'll look dark to be sure, but I don't think it will really be a problem unless you use very bright paint on the rest of the models.

This seems to assume that there's going to be a lot more painting on the rest of the models, but my plan was actually to leave them very minimalistic.

In fact, here's where they're at now:

View media item 58782
I've finished the bases, which is my usual three colour recipe (Mocha base, heavy drybrush of Chocolate brown, then lighter drybrush of that and Sand).

As for the actual models, I've picked out a couple of details on the special weapons and I did decide to add a quick lighter blue highlight above the deepest folds of the coats only. This means even the basic weapon models have at least four colours, not including three more on the base (I never know whether that's included in 'three colour minimum' requirements).

Everything that's currently black/grey (helmets, gasmasks, guns, armour, straps, legs, boots) is something for which that could be a reasonable colour anyway. I'm wondering about whether to add a splash more colour somewhere - maybe coloured shoulder pads? - but probably inclined not to, since it would dilute the overall effect.

Unslain

Gang Hero
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
I've found that GW's seraphim sepia shade applied neat makes what I think is a passable brass look over a black/grey like this, as an option if you did want to add to the shoulder pads or maybe guns.

I think you made the right choice going with blue instead of red: a) they look really good in blue; b) red doesn't seem to let the tones below show through well in my experience. I've not researched it but I'm guessing red paint has large pigment particles in a similar way to bright paints, so obscures most of the gradient.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Apologies for the poor quality of this photo. I had several attempts and couldn't get one that was any better, but there's not much to see anyway, as it's simply a stock model:

View media item 58856
I've started work on assembling another batch of the Grognards. This one has what I guess is supposed to be some kind of plasma weapon, though it's larger than the other special weapons in the kit.

My first batch had one meltagun, one grenade launcher, one throwing a grenade, and five with shotguns. I think I'll probably end up regretting having that many the same. My aim with the rest of of the box is a bit more variety, to suit a range of potential uses. For instance, I'd like a few with lasguns and autoguns - and perhaps some with pistols too - in case I want to use them as some kind of Necromunda gang.

I have bits from Cadians (regular and command squad), Tempestus Scions, and Genestealer Hybrids, so I'm hoping that some of these will fit. My thought is to do a few that look like Genestealer hybrids, so I can pass the whole lot off as a cult. I might do likewise with some kind of chaos cultist bits and/or imperial guard too.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Here are some with Cadian arms:

View media item 58925
The lasguns took a little bit of fiddling and one at least needs some filling with putty, but they weren't too difficult. As mentioned above, I want to try a few different styles in the hope that I can make the whole unit look like what I want just by mixing a few more recognisable models in with the earlier generic ones.

I'll do genestealer and/or chaos cultists too. An icon bearer will give me an excuse to make some relic that belongs in a museum for YakComp #38. I'd also been thinking about making some loot counters for Stargrave. I don't really need to do this, as I already have scrap counters that would work fine, but the comp may give me the impetus to model some ancient alien artefacts or similar.