Ben's Bits n Bobs

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I had a bit of a hunt through my bitz box looking for stuff to make some Stargrave loot counters. I don't really need these, since I already have some that would do, but the ones I have are really scrap (for something like Gorkamorka or Scrappers). I wasn't going to bother with a new set of tokens, but I don't need much incentive and the current competition theme was a good excuse for some alien artefacts.

View media item 59037
While I was doing this, I stumbled upon several necron scarabs. I will use one for loot, but thought I'd make some too, on the assumption that I can find some use for them: low-flying drones, if nothing else.

Unslain

Gang Hero
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
I'd be inclined toward blue, as a fairly neutral colour whereas I think of green and red as sinister colours more and more. But have you considered purple or yellow for lenses? I'd categorise both as "slightly sinister" when applied to lenses but also shifts the scarabs further away from common colours.

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
A bit late now, as I just painted them green. Not so much because I wanted them to look Necron-like, but mainly because I realised I had the Waystone Green technical (gem) paint. I could have tried blue using either the old glaze or Nighthaunt Gloom, but I didn't think they would be as vibrant, so green it is.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Tricky little things to photograph, but here they are:

View media item 59126
It's just a dot of mithril silver then waystone green over it. Except for the grounded loot token, which got the green without mithril silver, so it looks like a light that's not on (I hope).

I didn't mention when I first showed them, but I ditched the flimsy little stands and mounted them on short bits of sprue, so finger crossed they're robust enough. I'm assuming I'll be able to find some use for them in Stargrave. I know drones are a thing, but not sure what they do or how many you might use. I could use them as dogs though.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
My Nickstarter arrived this morning, but I won't bother with a picture of a bunch of boxes.

I mentioned that I'd been making some loot tokens. While I was hunting for random bits, I also came across this small stargate:

View media item 59224
A cool terrain piece or objective that could work in fantasy or sci-fi.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I spent a while trying to decide how to paint the 'stargate' and this is what I've come up with so far:

View media item 59299
It's antique gold, washed with burnt sienna, and then drybrushed again with antique gold.

I'm still not sure about the end result. Maybe another wash all over would help to tie it together.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
My Stargrave rulebook arrived today. I ordered it outside of the Nickstarter (though not from Amazon) because I could get it cheaper and not pay extra p&p on top. I've not started reading yet though.

Last night, I finally made a start on my models:

View media item 59350
I have to say that, while I've seen some nice finished models from others, I don't like these as much as the Frostgrave plastics.

There's a numbering system for which arms go with which, though the numbers aren't always clear and the 'options' are rather restrictive in places. For instance, the Crew and Mercs box both have a left-handed deck but neither has a right-handed one. And the left arm on the left-hand model looked pretty awkward wherever I put it, but I didn't have much choice if I wanted that pistol arm.

It also looks surprisingly difficult to fit models to the rules. There are too many bodies with holstered pistols (which few soldiers carry) and no options for hand weapons. I don't know whether they made rules first, then models or the other way round, but it looks to me like a lack of coordination.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
All the edges look kind of rounded, like the details sort of blend into the model. I don't own any Frostgrave models, but they looked to have more crisp details from what I could tell. How is the "hands on" on that aspect, @Ben_S?

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I saw someone the other day saying that these had much sharper detail than older FG models. I'd agree with you though that they still seem a little soft or rounded, but not sure it's a problem. Perhaps I'll have a better idea after making some more and, in particular, painting some.

Reactions: MedMos and Unslain

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Playing around with more of these...

View media item 59481
Third from left (the cyclops guy) I converted his left arm a bit and was reasonably satisfied, but then thought I'd try a bit more and mangled it a bit. I think I successfully repaired that, back to almost how it was, but it did make me realise one drawback to paired arms. I could take a new copy of this arm off the next sprue, but I'd still be one arm down, and that would leave another right arm without its matching pair.

Other than that, I'm liking the look of them, but there are a few minor annoyances.

WYSIWYG calls for some soldiers to carry hand weapons, but none of the three kits come with any (just knives). I need to remember to dig some bits out, before I prime these.

Also, I've only done two with two-handed rifle poses and I couldn't get the left hand to grip the gun properly - at least, not while lining up the shoulder. Perhaps this is just lack of skill on my part, or perhaps some line up better than others (as I say, I've only tried two). It's not that obvious, because it's under the gun anyway, so I think I'll just shove some putty in the gap.