Biggle Bear found some stuff and can't decide what to make

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Any ideas on what I can use these for?

I have 10 of these 'boards' that I salvaged from a shoe tower thing that decided to give up on life. (And there are these cool girder like parts too)

My ideas so far-
Folding terrain for easy storage
Necromunda Quest room tiles
Micromunda boards
And naturally I'm open to other cool ideas

I was thinking folding terrain might be cool. The indented middle might facilitate that. but it won't make a full board on it's own so I would still need a full board to place it on. Also the high sides would make it difficult for models to navigate and players to be immersed.

That wouldn't be a problem if I make a Necromunda quest mini game and these were used modularly.

My latest idea was as micromunda boards. They are 25 by 33 cm which I calculate are ok for 6 mm scale. The shape doesn't compliment the idea, I feel. But with so many I could attempt a full dome.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
That is a valid point. I will give it a test paint. But if that doesn't work I can try covering the surface. It would still be useful since the plastic boards seem resistant to warping.

With the folding terrain idea the plastic boards would mostly be to house the 'mechanisms'.

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Unless you already play Necromunda in 6mm scale (I know some people do), starting on that seems more trouble than it's worth to me.

Perhaps they could be used for some kind of storage - more like their original purpose - rather than something in game?

Reactions: Biggle_Bear

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Unless you already play Necromunda in 6mm scale (I know some people do), starting on that seems more trouble than it's worth to me.

Perhaps they could be used for some kind of storage - more like their original purpose - rather than something in game?
Good point. There are logical reasons behind it. For example 6mm makes for a passable travel set, it would be possible to make several identical boards to send to friends for transnational games and I don't have space for a full 48' table. But the real reason would be that I find tiny scale so adorable. :love:

The original rack is completely impractical for models and it fell apart. Making storage boxes doesn't excite me. I'd throw them out first.

The hot glue gun work fantastic on it. I don't have the desire to make pop up terrain after analysing the effort required versus effort I have to give... versus the little use it will get. So I'm definitely going for small scale folding travel kits. I have enough to make 5 sets but i just need to decide on 6mm micromunda or other (non-GW) games.

Reactions: Ben_S

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
After my hiatus I have a clearer mind on what I would like to do with these. I have 10 boards, which I will put hinges on so that I have 5 sets.

Board 1 - brewhouse bash for the simple reason that it is a great on-the-fly game.
Board 2 - a 11mm sci-fi dungeon crawler map (11mm because that is the exchange if you swap inches to cm and will still work for 6mm, I feel. It would be good for Space Hulk, Newumunda style board tiles and micromunda quest)
Board 3 - a 11mm classic N95 board
Board 4 - 11mm desert landscape (good for GoMo and any other fitting game)
Board 5 - to be reserved for a future project

Reactions: Pagumb

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
After my hiatus I have a clearer mind on what I would like to do with these. I have 10 boards, which I will put hinges on so that I have 5 sets.

Board 1 - brewhouse bash for the simple reason that it is a great on-the-fly game.
Board 2 - a 11mm sci-fi dungeon crawler map (11mm because that is the exchange if you swap inches to cm and will still work for 6mm, I feel. It would be good for Space Hulk, Newumunda style board tiles and micromunda quest)
Board 3 - a 11mm classic N95 board
Board 4 - 11mm desert landscape (good for GoMo and any other fitting game)
Board 5 - to be reserved for a future project
I don't understand your scaling. Are you using 11 mm for Necro? it's a ~25mm model set...?

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand your scaling. Are you using 11 mm for Necro? it's a ~25mm model set...?
I thought it was a 28mm model set? The logic is that you divide inches by about 2.5 to get cm. So 28mm divided by 2.5 is 11mm. Converting distance is then super easy and the boards will be 50cm by 33cm. Close enough to 48 by 48 for my conscience to allow.

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
I thought it was a 28mm model set? The logic is that you divide inches by about 2.5 to get cm. So 28mm divided by 2.5 is 11mm. Converting distance is then super easy and the boards will be 50cm by 33cm. Close enough to 48 by 48 for my conscience to allow.
Possible confusion on units of measurement and direction of conversion, I think, so hopefully clarifying:

1" ~= 2.5cm, or 25mm. (A bit closer to 25.4mm, if I recall correctly)
28mm/25mm ~= 1.12".

11mm scale would mean a reducing conversion factor of 11mm/28mm ~= 0.39, so all 28mm-scale references would be reduced by the same factor, i.e. a 16" pistol max range would be (16"*25mm)*0.39 = 157mm, or 15.7cm on the 11mm-scale board.

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Granted I will have a hard time finding Necromunda models that size but I also like sculpting and I don't have a deadline.

I went out to buy hinges yesterday. And I am laying laminate floors so I have a few off-cuts to help with the projects. Another vital material is magnetic sheets, which I can get from a nearby craft shop.

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Yes, space marines are 28mm, but humans are smaller...so 25mm. I saw someone do this using epic scale models. As the Penaris Space Marines are irrelevant (they don't exist in my universe, stalled at 7th edition) it IS still 28 mm... :D

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
“true to scale” so the models are cut and extended to make them bigger than a typical human model, since fluff has space marines being at least a head taller than a regular human. 7’ giants at least.