Biggle Bear's battleworn buildings

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Nov 1, 2017
Since I invited the Yaktribe community to join in Germany for a tribemeet, I better make sure that there is at least one table of terrain available (and because I am fixated on crafting videos at the moment).

Planned projects
Polystyrene battle board
Cryo-storage
Forklifts
Trophies
Folding shipping containers

WIP
Random scatter

Completed Projects
none

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainDangerous
Sooo... I have me a pile of polystyrene to start off with. And I saw a video on YouTube on how to protect it.

I have 4 of the big square pieces that when put together will be the size of a 4' by 4' board. Since there are 2 of each I am thinking of turning one of each the opposite side up so that each is different.

The top left big polystyrene piece - I want to make it into a water turbine. I'm thinking that it was a large industrial machine but that now the people of Cyan Tide have attached small jury rigged motors to it.

Something like this. But with shanty structures over the top.

The flip piece has a large circular recess. I want to attempt to make a whirlpool in the recess being fed by a pipe / pipes. Not a clue how I will do that.

Top left - I want to keep it taller and put a crane of some sort on it, but keep it with lots of flat area for modular terrain to stand on.

I don't know about bottom right yet.

But I am thinking that in each I will put a platform in 1 corner so that they can be placed so that a shootout can take place. And it would be cool to make a modular highway to go over the top using my spare polystyrene, but again, I don't have a clear picture how.

Couldn’t you get a similar effect using sand mixed into the paint and pva mix?
You mean, instead of flour? I've used flour paper mache with just water and flour. It works well.

What I wonder though is if it can be textured with a ball of foil.

Like, when the paint mixture is still wet? Or pre-painting? There’s only one way to find out….

“To the station!”
“Music!”
Ace of Spades by Motörhead starts playing

• Haha
Reactions: Biggle_Bear
I had a large parcel recently and I have 2 boxes from it. If flattened they measure 4' by 4' and are double corrugated, each. Is it worth trying to turn them into gaming mats? Or will they just wrap like crazy as soon as I try to do anything with them?

It’s probably worth testing one at least, I would coat both sides with a really thin layer of PVA. (Tho I wouldn’t spend much on decorating them should they keep their form)

P.s. re:the big polystyrene squares.
Is it worth cutting two in half to give the table some slight modularity?

Last edited:
The folds in the cartons will be weak points as it’s already been folded there. I have bases I made from cardboard about 20 years ago or so that have slightly warped over time, and I only painted one side. Usually if one side is painted (ie. made “wet”) the cardboard will warp on that side. I think the reason mine lasted so long and only slightly warped is something you might want to try: crossing the corrugation. Flatten the boxes, and cut the two joined sides so you have two flat sheets. Rotate one 90 degrees and glue them together. Fill the edges (if you want) with wood filler to make them look solid. Once it’s dry sand the filler smooth and it’s ready for paint. I used mine as a base for scenery pieces, so it was spray primed and painted with water-based house paint. Then sealed. So it was “wet” four times. Glue, primer, paint, sealer. It was never soaked, but “wet” stuff was still applied.

Edit: the ones I made were much smaller than 4x4 feet. Size may also be a factor.

It’s probably worth testing one at least, I would coat both sides with a really thin layer of PVA. (Tho I wouldn’t spend much on decorating them should they keep their form)

P.s. re:the big polystyrene squares.
Is it worth cutting two in half to give the table some slight modularity?
Good ideas with the polystyrene. Even if I can only manage to do one, it will give it a much better profile.

The folds in the cartons will be weak points as it’s already been folded there. I have bases I made from cardboard about 20 years ago or so that have slightly warped over time, and I only painted one side. Usually if one side is painted (ie. made “wet”) the cardboard will warp on that side. I think the reason mine lasted so long and only slightly warped is something you might want to try: crossing the corrugation. Flatten the boxes, and cut the two joined sides so you have two flat sheets. Rotate one 90 degrees and glue them together. Fill the edges (if you want) with wood filler to make them look solid. Once it’s dry sand the filler smooth and it’s ready for paint. I used mine as a base for scenery pieces, so it was spray primed and painted with water-based house paint. Then sealed. So it was “wet” four times. Glue, primer, paint, sealer. It was never soaked, but “wet” stuff was still applied.

Edit: the ones I made were much smaller than 4x4 feet. Size may also be a factor.
Thank you. That reassures me that it's possible at least.