Biggle Bear's homemade games

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Hi all, I'm back in the "tabletop games" forum again with my weird ideas. It was my ambition to someday to be the creator of a published board game, and to that end I think of loads of ideas for games (most of which I realise after a week are total rubbish). Some I think are decent and I want to try to make into something. I would like to share some of my better ideas and work with my favourite forum website (that's you guys). So if you will indulge me...

Reactions: trollmeat

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
The first that I wanted to show you all is...

Skyline PD

In Skyline PD you play as animal cops parkouring across the rooftops to save the city from a robotic menace.

I have been working on my second prototype today. I have playtested it with my buddies and it has been adjusted accordingly.

Prototype 2 (I wanted to make the game anew as the original buildings weren't exactly to scale, which was causing problems with the current rendition of the rules. I also wanted it to make it closer to the finished product as the original prototype required 3 times the space to store. To help with that the buildings are folding and generally a little smaller. I also still have a flat panel to print and assemble.)

Edit: sorry about the poor quality photos. I will try to do better in future.

Reactions: trollmeat

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
How to play.

Each player has control of a good guy. Each turn they can move 10 squares, but to bridge the gap between buildings they need to take a curved ruler with squares on them and sort of walk across it to the next building. They will collect tokens on their way which will give them a power up, a clue to the whereabouts of the robots, a beneficial event or a hindering event.

After their turn, the first row of buildings are taken away and placed on the other end in a random fashion indicated on a deck of cards.

Once they find 3 clues the robot level master appears and they have a time limit to catch it and jump on its head.

The game is designed for children. They are encouraged to be imaginative and touch the game a lot. Aspects are designed to encourage problem solving and cooperation.

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks for showing interest @Ardavion

I need to print stuff, which will have to wait until i can access a printer.
I was more thinking that you could streamline the game by having tiles for buildings, and colour-code the roofing of each building based on the height (blue > green > yellow > orange > red, or similar) - this might make the game more approachable/implementable.

Admittedly, having the 3D buildings would be cool, but it's extra work to manufacture and it's extra work for the end user to put it all together; if there was sufficient interest you could offer 3D buildings as an expansion/add-on.

The rulers being curved obviously make more sense if the buildings are 3D, unless I'm misinterpreting their implementation.

I also realise that I'm talking as though you want to monetise/manufacture this, I may be wrong. I am still intrigued by the game, though.

Reactions: Biggle_Bear

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
I was more thinking that you could streamline the game by having tiles for buildings, and colour-code the roofing of each building based on the height (blue > green > yellow > orange > red, or similar) - this might make the game more approachable/implementable.

Admittedly, having the 3D buildings would be cool, but it's extra work to manufacture and it's extra work for the end user to put it all together; if there was sufficient interest you could offer 3D buildings as an expansion/add-on.

The rulers being curved obviously make more sense if the buildings are 3D, unless I'm misinterpreting their implementation.

I also realise that I'm talking as though you want to monetise/manufacture this, I may be wrong. I am still intrigued by the game, though.
The aim is to someday manufacture and sell the game. I thought of tiles but I had the feeling early on that 3d was the right decision. My second prototype has half the buildings and cards to try bridge that gap and I want to make the buildings as 1 piece folding to simplify things for the end user (I realise that it then pushes production costs up again. I will figure that out later though).