spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
3. Genestealer hybrid kroot. I like both factions and on another thread a long time ago i wrote about an idea for a skirmish game about kroot fighting one another over their ideals regarding their alliances in the greater universe. I thought it would be cool to have a genestealer faction undermining it all.
I'm intrigued to see this

4. My own space marine chapter. I would probably only do a few models to scratch the itch, perhaps a kill team squad. But its an idwa i had years ago and would require some heavy kit bashing.
ideal! make at least one in time for the next meet you can attend. I am currently working through some idea in my head for a bit of Inquistor 28mm scale, with marines. So watch this space (it will be time dependent so might be this year, might be next!)

But hobbying is about enjoying now
Truth! If you arn't enjoying it, put it down and do something you will, never make a hobby into a chore (unless it's cleaning a bike after a muddy ride, or proper servicing of tools/equipment for your hobby, that sadly is a chore but hey ho)

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Biggle to @Aulenback
Biggle to @Aulenback
Do you copy, over?

You're the kroot master around these parts, right? What diffrrences do you think a purstrain genestealer would have compared to the purestrains as we know them?

It's a question to everyone really. Presumably the normal purestrain is based off of human DNA. Hence the human like hands. Or is it that that is how they look and they all convert back into that mould?

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Hmm. Quills and a fourth hunger/claw. The Ymargle genestealers end up like big leeches with arms, for instance, so you are right they pick up physiological traits. The biggest identifier I can see for Kroot are quills (most distinctive), jaw, and hands. Their stance is already similar, as is the lanky frame.

Adding head-quills, trimming out one “hand finger” and adding a fourth claw digit might work well and be reasonably do-able.

Drilling under the back of the head and using toothpick tips, could make a fan of quills over the neck; carving out one finger would be easy; making a fourth claw to fit into the claw hands might be the most difficult part of such a conversion.

Ooh, but building second and third generation Kroot could be a blast; the kit is easily flexible enough.

Hmm. Shaper “Magos” could be interesting. Maybe a Delaque body, to get that tall, lean silhouette?

Edit: the Ymargle genestealer, from Rogue Trader back in the ‘80s, which genestealered parasitically on leeches native to the swamps on Ymargle:
200px-Rogue_Trader_Genestealer.jpg

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Hmm. Quills and a fourth hunger/claw. The Ymargle genestealers end up like big leeches with arms, for instance, so you are right they pick up physiological traits. The biggest identifier I can see for Kroot are quills (most distinctive), jaw, and hands. Their stance is already similar, as is the lanky frame.

Adding head-quills, trimming out one “hand finger” and adding a fourth claw digit might work well and be reasonably do-able.

Drilling under the back of the head and using toothpick tips, could make a fan of quills over the neck; carving out one finger would be easy; making a fourth claw to fit into the claw hands might be the most difficult part of such a conversion.

Ooh, but building second and third generation Kroot could be a blast; the kit is easily flexible enough.

Hmm. Shaper “Magos” could be interesting. Maybe a Delaque body, to get that tall, lean silhouette?

Edit: the Ymargle genestealer, from Rogue Trader back in the ‘80s, which genestealered parasitically on leeches native to the swamps on Ymargle:
View attachment 112267
I thought i read something like that. A pure genestealer only came from a certain animal native to that planet, or something like that? And they were re-invented to include them in the tyranid army so that they werent discarded with the rest of the miscelaneous creatures?

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
My idea for a kroot skirmish.

The kroot are divided as to how they should allien themselves on the galactic scene. The prevailing powers have already made a treaty to fight for the Tau empire. But due to their need to take in new DNA they secretly hire their services as mercenaries to a multitude of races. (All this so far is GW cannon as far i'm aware).

Yet it is other races that pose the greatest threat to their species, and making an alliance brings them into the crosshairs of their friend's enemies. So there is a growing movement to separate from all others and to go back to the times before. And then there are those who want the opposite. Infiltrating aliens who want to take over and wipe out their existence.

I imagined 4 factions.

Tau alliance (this faction gains access to Tau weaponry and a boost to their economy as the Tau import such things as medicines)

Independent mercenaries (they get generous access to a wide range of weapons from accross the galaxy)

Separatist movement (have access to kroot beasts and greater fighting and stealth abilities but have tge weakest weapons)

Genestealer cult (masquerading as mercenaries so they have some access to advanced weapons as well as superior warriors, aka genestealers, but run the risk of being uncovered)

Last edited:

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
I also imagined that a select few characters advance in experience, but that post battle advancement largely revolves around advancing your economy. That is done by using reputation as a currency to purchase extra recruitment centres, recruiting from your current centres or advancing a centre to increase the worth of the fighters from it.

This would create a system that would quickly become large, complex, imbalanced, difficult to manage and ruin a campaign. That problem would be off-set by catagorizing scenarios by the power level of those involved. Later scenarios might more closely resemble WH 40K scenarios and be themed toward ending the campaign, with the winner using their social influence to put their political views into action, or not depending on the outcome of the battles.

Reactions: trollmeat

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Borrow the experience system from Mordheim, perhaps? That distinguished heroes from mooks.
I was inspired by that but i'm not sure if that's the right system. I was thinking that maybe i should be looking to WH 40K as a model.

Essentially the territories are gaining experience and giving standard troops, to scratch that post-battle itch. I wanted a system that would begin with skirmishes but would evolve into semi pitched battles. Players would be encouraged to form units of their own accord by using alternate activation and group activation, and skills that buff groups. If i took 2nd ed as a model then characters have more room to grow. But if i took a more modern edition less so.

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
Ignore what i said about feet. I haven't figured out how to use blue stuff yet, so i've given them blob shoes. :confused:

I believe i am finished with the green stuff. I just need to file bits down and paint these guys.

But before i begin painting i want to get the setting ready. So next up Yakzuma's house of the Fungi rolls, an underhive interpretation of a sushi bar.

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
I have stared on the fungi bar. It's just a simple cardboard frame so far, but from tge second photo you should notice that it is folding. I wanted to start making folding terrain so that i can take it on an aeroplane to tribemeets (plus i have very little storage space and it speaks to my inner child). It's kinda awkward trying to connect everything to the folding point in a natural way that retains the needed strength. But feeling proud so far connsidering it's my first experiment.

• Love

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
You realize you have to do it in cg, right? Even if you paint it and add all the stuff, you still have to set it out flat so you can recreate it easily. (scan or photo maybe)
If you're doing it with foldable cardboard, you might as well make it printable, right?

Last edited:

Biggle_Bear

Gang Hero
Nov 1, 2017
You realize you have to do it in cg, right? Even if you paint it and add all the stuff, you still have to set it out flat so you can recreate it easily.
If you're doing it with foldable cardboard, you might as well make it printable, right?
I'd love to, buddy. But at the moment i'm eyeballing it. I will consider making it once i have figured out the folds and stuff, but i'm no graphic artist.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
I'd love to, buddy. But at the moment i'm eyeballing it. I will consider making it once i have figured out the folds and stuff, but i'm no graphic artist.
Just off the top of my head, once you have you final folding-box building (without the detail and all that) try and recreate it without glue so you can unfold it and have a template.
Once you have a flat surface it's just a matter of getting a good photo or scan and then you could print a million (figuratively)

Reactions: Biggle_Bear