N18 Black Market's new stuff discussion/clarifications

Baffo

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
I finally got my pre-ordered copy of the Book of Judgement today. So far I've managed to just skim trough the book, but I've spent the most time going over the new weapons and items from the Black market and there are so many fun/interesting little jewels.

My favorites so far are the Xenoculum (like the Archeotech device, only cheaper and with more generally useful 'results', including Wolverine claws!!!), the Mnemonic Iload Spike (100 creds to chose any skill you want, even for normal gangers) and the Goredrinker's Axe (S+3 D2 melee weapon for just 20 creds?!!!).

That said, there are a few minor details that are unclear to me, specifically the Reckless weapon trait (p 127 of the BoJ) on melee weapons like the Goredrinker Axe:
Reckless: ...Weapons with this trait ignore the normal target priority rules. Instead, before making an attack with a weapon with this Trait, randomly determine the target of the attack from all eligible models within the fighter's line of sight.

The way it is worded this sounds more like it should be on a Ranged weapon (maybe it is and I just haven't noticed it yet), as then it would be a very substantial Drawback, since you'd never know whom you were going to shoot (including friends within your line of sight), but on a melee weapon it seems kind of inconsequential, since you just need to stay out of base contact with any friendly fighters while fighting and at worst you will randomly attack one of multiple opponents engaging you. Granted if the weapon in question also has Versatile(#) then it becomes much more of a drawback, but still fairly manageable.
Can a model attack itself with a melee weapon? Is the weapon wielder one of the 'eligible targets' whenever you randomise the Reckless melee attacks? I don't think so, but I might be wrong...

Anyway, sloppy writing aside, what do you guys think about the Black market? What are your favorite new toys from the Black market?
Cheers!

P.S. Edit: Ok, I found at least one instrance of the Reckless trait being on a ranged weapon: Vunder Gorvos' Gold plated and Master crafted Stub guns have it! At least the wording of the trait makes more sense now:)

Last edited:

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
I made a thread for the Xenos weapons, I'd happy to have your help with it.
That said, it's pretty nice and gives such a ridiculous list of gear that you can build just about anything.

Baffo

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
I wondered that but maybe it's because you can't effectively aim a lasgun etc with a huge boxing glove on?
Except Unwieldy only prevents you from using any other weapons in melee; you can still fire the Lasgun in question as normal, but not a Laspistol in melee:p I believe many of these weapon profiles were written in an edition of 40k when Unweieldy actually meant Strike last in combat, not Use both hands to fight with, and it just got copy-pasted in the current edition.

el_guestos

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Leeds, England, UK
Except Unwieldy only prevents you from using any other weapons in melee; you can still fire the Lasgun in question as normal, but not a Laspistol in melee:p I believe many of these weapon profiles were written in an edition of 40k when Unweieldy actually meant Strike last in combat, not Use both hands to fight with, and it just got copy-pasted in the current edition.
Ha...good point, well made.

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
I think it maks perfect sense that a mere human using a power fist needs the rest of their body to stabilize the thing or else they fall over!

Corrupted melee weapons possibly wounding the user are a very chaotic thing to do. Going to add that to my house rules.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Sheeeet, we acutally got Assault cannon in Necromunda now (with the Iron Automata). What's next, battle cannon? It is however just a short-range weaker heavy bolter.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Can scrap shield be combined with armoured undersuit/bodyglove? It is a +1 save modifier against Reaction attacks, can be combined with "other suits of armour". Strange wording there. Both Bodyglove and Undersuit specifically denies usage with each other.

A fighter can now wear Ceramite Shield and Scrap shield, while at the same time wearing 2 Assault/Energy Shields (1 in each hand)!

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Champion
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
I noticed a few things.

Camo cloak, cheap and gives the enemy -2 to hit if you don't move. Take up position in full cover and the only thing that'll be able to hit you is blasts.

It seems they noticed that cheese though, so they started throwing out blast weapons profiles like confetti, also cheap, to bolters and shotguns.
Great, you can buy a combi-bolter grenade launcher for over 100cr, or you can buy a bolter with much better grenades for just 70cr.

Also the Falsehood. Especially in ZM, this gives you the ability to just run up to enemy gang and start killing people without any ability for them to retaliate.
Plus of course sentries, just saunter up to the objective and sabotage it or whatever, and there's literally nothing the defender can do.
And all that for just 40cr.

The ability to give anyone any skill is also well worth 100cr, even if just for sticking Overseer on a Ganger/Juve or two.

The Badzone trading post was cool and had plenty that was viable. This is cool, but some stuff just looks broken as f**k and i don't know what they were thinking, similar to master crafted weapons.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
I noticed a few things.

Camo cloak, cheap and gives the enemy -2 to hit if you don't move. Take up position in full cover and the only thing that'll be able to hit you is blasts.
Van Saar will still hit you, easy enough. While cover and reducing ranged effeciency is good, I don't like rewarding stationary gameplay.

Reactions: Merzbau

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Holochromatic Field gives a -2 hit modifier against incoming ranged attacks and -1 to melee attacks. It can however lose its power during the game:

"Each time the fighter is targeted with an attack, roll a D6. On a 1, the Holochromatic field has been drained and cannot be used again this game.".

It looks like this is rolled BEFORE the attack, and if failed, it gives no protection against the current attack? Or you think it's opposite, while active, it always protects against the next attack, but can be disabled after the next attack?

Baffo

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
...The ability to give anyone any skill is also well worth 100cr, even if just for sticking Overseer on a Ganger/Juve or two.

The Badzone trading post was cool and had plenty that was viable. This is cool, but some stuff just looks broken as f**k and i don't know what they were thinking, similar to master crafted weapons.
While I agree some of the new stuff is arguably OP/Broken, it also provides a 'rules patch' to previously awesome-looking but borderline 'useless' models like the Goliath Zerker, whom being a melee exclusive Brute with Move 4, Brawn (one of the worst skill tables imo) as primary and Ferocity only as secondary made it a very expensive and utterly 'pinnable' paper weight, unless you were lucky enough to gain 9 XPs on him and managed to roll to get Nerves of steel (1 in 5 chance)... Now, by investing another 100 creds (75 if you are an Outlaw with at least 20 Rep, 55 creds if you use the Scabber to buy the Mnemonic spike) and chancing it on the Injury table (maybe having a dose of Stinger Mould ready on the side in case if unfortunate bain death) you can get your Zerker guaranteed Nerves of steel.

That is definitely an improvement. Granted this Zerker might end up costing your gang 400-500 credits, when you factor in upgrades, mnemonic spike and possible use of a dose of Stinger mould (to avoid the most critical injuries), which could be better spent on fully kitted out champion + stuff, but at least now I can field my overcosted awesome Brute:)

That said, this same trick could be applied to any of the other brutes to give them a guaranteed Nerves of steel/Spring up, to mitigate their tendency to get pinned all the time (being a larger target = harder to hide). That is for me still all fine and good.

The really creative and crazy stuff comes up when you start considering Skill-Brute/gang combos like Zerkers/Kymmerixes with Infiltrate, heading a pair of Ambots (which you could make Gunfighters to effectively twin-shoot those Sidearm mini meltas in their fists) or Stig shamblers/Luggers with Overwatch and/or Trick shooting... Plenty of opportunities, if you have the credits to splurge on Mnemonic spikes.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
The problem as I see it, you could do all that stuff (if lucky), combine all the unique stuff to try and circumvent the disadvantage. But as soon as the battle starts, you still gonna lose most fights vs fresh & standard Van Saar champs with plasmas.

Reactions: Valar

Baffo

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
The problem as I see it, you could do all that stuff (if lucky), combine all the unique stuff to try and circumvent the disadvantage. But as soon as the battle starts, you still gonna lose most fights vs fresh & standard Van Saar champs with plasmas.
Usually I'd argue Van Saar's ranged dominance is greatly dependant on table/terrain setup and scenario conditions and it can be overcome with clever tactics and enough LoS blocking, but my gang solved such problems by grabbing a Needleways territory early in the campaign and then delivering my Renderiser Leader and 2 CC focused Champions with Stims right around the corner of any such ranged focused gangs' entrenched positions and then Group activating all 3, hitting the stims and charging in for glorious slaughter (which will now get even better with copious abuse of Frenzon and Spur chems or by delivering the above mentioned overcosted Zerker before the enemy can shoot it) One could argue my gang just reached for the opposite side (melee dominance) of the cheese scale from VS:)

EAfirstlast

Ganger
Aug 31, 2017
Alexandria, VA, USA
Usually I'd argue Van Saar's ranged dominance is greatly dependant on table/terrain setup and scenario conditions and it can be overcome with clever tactics and enough LoS blocking, but my gang solved such problems by grabbing a Needleways territory early in the campaign and then delivering my Renderiser Leader and 2 CC focused Champions with Stims right around the corner of any such ranged focused gangs' entrenched positions and then Group activating all 3, hitting the stims and charging in for glorious slaughter (which will now get even better with copious abuse of Frenzon and Spur chems or by delivering the above mentioned overcosted Zerker before the enemy can shoot it) One could argue my gang just reached for the opposite side (melee dominance) of the cheese scale from VS:)
But it was something that took time XD. Not something you do just by existing. And, honestly, at that point, you man as well bubble wrap your van saar champs and leaders, let the chaff die, and then plasma/rad your pain train to death.