Blackstonemunda

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
Started building a few blackstone fortress minis and I have a ton of extra necromunda bases as I was anticipating just using all minis in necromunda.
But now I'm thinking the opposite and adding gangers to BSF.

Could the houses of necromunda have heard the legends of the Blackstone fortress and have sent there quasi paramilitary gangs as disposable heroes to see fame and fortune or certain death?

More importantly has this been done already? Anyone seen a mod online for stats conversions?

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Or has a Warp Tunnel dragged a few hapless and stinking Cawdor gangers to the BSF as part of an Inquisition's testing of a program to rid the hive of ultra violent gangers? The whole situation gelled when the Van Saar technothugs went for some high end technology in a forbidden dome...

All of this seemingly directed by a strange man with large fuzzy ears, a sunburnt nose, and a disproportionate amount of luck. :)

EDIT: And as far a stats, blaze the trail. If you load your gang, we will call you on it. :D

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
an Escher, a Goliath, an Orlock, and a Van Saar chase a Cawdor and their Delaque instigator into a bar. too bad the bar chose that moment to attach to the elder webway for a brief instant, and they all appear in BSF... ?

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I have not. the wiki entry sounds interesting, even though "a French court has ruled the film plagerises the plot of Escape from New York and its sequel"

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Escape from NY in space prison? So Fortress 2 then?

Anyhoo, if you were transporting gangers to BSF, what kind of stats do you think they'd have?

Your average ganger is probably best represented by a traitor guardsman as far as basic weapons and abilities go.

Move of 2
Your standard lasgun/autogun a purple at range (lifted from Traitor Guardsmen).
Bolters & equivalents being blue at range (lifted from Chaos Space Marines).
Pistols generally being grey at range but purple up close when combined with a basic close combat weapons.
Special close combat weapons (eg power fist, chainswords) being either double purples or blues.

These dice of course integrate both the strength of the weapon and the character's ability to hit with it, so you might want to play with it a bit to make some more skillful than others. There isn't that much wiggle room available when everything is represented by three kinds of dice with fixed failure/success/critical odds. This is a handy table to keep in mind when trying to introduce small buffs or penalties:

DiceFailureSuccessCritical Success
1D667%17%17%
1D850%25%25%
2D644%25%31%
1D1233%33%33%
2D825%31%44%
2D1211%33%56%
(Special thanks to @Thorgor for this)

General defence, agility and vitality of purple I'd say.

If you wanted to N17 things a bit you could up the speed and agility of Escher but lower their defence, or vice versa for Goliath, and play a bit with vitality for the Van Saar.

The kicker is... what's their ability/special skill? You could have different classes of ganger - someone who can lay traps, someone with better dice at range/the ability to pick their target, someone with better dice in cc. This would be the hardest part I think.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Reading the novel the whole Precipice pretty much sounds like the underhive in space. Kind of has that old wild west mining town feel where some strike it rich and bring back the loot for hookers and booze. So yeah some kinda cross over. Will delve into the bsf rules more.
Yes, I was thinking this, that Precipice would make a great alternate setting for Necromunda. Rename and re-fluff the original House gangs, add in the various SW:A-made-available gangs, and fight for territory over the depths of Precipice. Re-name a couple of territories to shift from the Hive World feel to the Space Station feel, but it has a lot of that "prospectors' town" atmosphere. I think it could work well as a setting.

The other kicker is the whole 'Inspiration' thingy. Each character must have not 1 but 2 profiles (one strictly better than the other) and some kind of condition to become Inspired.
As folks get the feel of how the BSF rules are built, I expect to see fan-built "Hero Cards" for various models [perhaps after this box of extra heroes disguised as its own game comes out and folks see more variety yet]. That was what happened with HeroQuest, so I see no reason not to have the same for BSF. The first offerings are usually "re-skins," which is to say existing characters with new fluff and models represented, but after a while we started to see builds from scratch. Balancing usually takes some finesse, and many of the first offerings in that regard are woefully overpowered [but I love this model and it obviously should be great at everything], but heroes will be easier to build for than villains, I think, given the cards element.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
As folks get the feel of how the BSF rules are built, I expect to see fan-built "Hero Cards" for various models [perhaps after this box of extra heroes disguised as its own game comes out and folks see more variety yet]. That was what happened with HeroQuest, so I see no reason not to have the same for BSF.
Oh yes, totally. The existing cards define a good framework to work with (we have several "normal human" characters, with Pious Vorne even being a former Necromunda ganger (or implied to be one? I don't remember)) and coming up with custom explorers should not be too difficult (all the N17 bounty hunters make perfect candidates for that btw). All I'm saying is one should be careful not to forget that explorer cards are double-sided :D

Reactions: Stoof and Aulenback

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
And that the easier 'conversion' will be to take Precipice as a setting, and "OldMunda" as a rule-set. And yes, Vorne is a former "Hive ganger," and while I don't remember it saying explicitly Necromunda, she has Cawdor Redemptionist written all over her. Well, all over her chainsaw-flamer, at any rate.

But yes, translating into BSF, you will need to design each explorer twice, AND choose a possible-but-scaled-to-inspired-power-level trigger. The ones that trigger more easily get smaller benefit from Inspiration, the ones that trigger with more rarity get larger.

Reactions: Stoof

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
For the base stats, I'd say something like that:

HouseMoveDefenceAgilityVitality
Cawdor3◼
Delaque3◼
Escher3◼
Goliath2
Orlock3
Van Saar2◼◼
It's mostly based on the N18 statlines. A few explanations:
  • Van Saar have better Defence than everyone else because of course they wouldn't leave the Hive without a proper armour on top of their bodyglove. They also have poor starting Vitality to represent their sickness (despite this not being reflected on their T in Necromunda) and they get better when inspired because... game magic!
  • Orlock get better Vitality when inspired because their Leader is W3
  • Goliath and Delaque get better Agility when inspired because their Leader (and even Champ for Goliath) is I3+
I don't like that everyone is so fast, but Move 1 is too slow even for Goliath and Van Saar, and the other ones have to be faster. Goliath are also a bit above the curve, but that just means they shouldn't get the best weapons/abilities (another option would be to only give them 3 dice).

Last edited: