Blackstonemunda

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
That's a sensibly thought out house breakdown @Thorgor. I agree it's not great that everyone bar Goliath & Van Saar is so fast, but you've got to do something to differentiate if you don't want to revert to standard move for them all.

If a Magos or Inquisitor has rocked up at a nearby hive world and raided the cells of an Arbites precinct house for expendable fortress-fodder, so your team of somewhat reluctant explorers could be assembled from several houses - their differences put aside to face the greater threat. That would save things from getting stale with the stats being the same for all explorers.

We could look at loadouts/classes which might be enough to introduce flavour into gang who otherwise share the same basic stats. Possible classes off the top of my head:
• Leader/Champion - special close combat weaponry e.g. plasma pistols/chainswords/power weapons
• Close Combat - pistols & close combat weapons
• Heavy - heavy weapons (hard hitting but lower move/fewer dice?)
• Ganger - basic weapons
• Pyro - flame weapons
• Demo - grenades/explosives

Reactions: Ml2sjw and Kitcar

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
Reading the novel the whole Precipice pretty much sounds like the underhive in space. Kind of has that old wild west mining town feel where some strike it rich and bring back the loot for hookers and booze. So yeah some kinda cross over. Will delve into the bsf rules more.
I'm really hoping we see the alternative settings they have hinted at with the eye of selene being one of the first. There mentioned a lot of Blackstone fortress sounding stuff in the fluff for the new squat ammo Jack, techno heretics (negavolt cultists) and urgul infestations. Add in the cargo cults and you're away. You could even make the models dual use.... I'd love to see a cargo cult as a set of badguys in BS as an alternative to traitor guard

It would also help the inquisimunda world of they added a bunch of "mercenaries" as Dramatis personalities that were not human in origin.

Wow that was a long way to say great idea and I'm watching closely

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
FWPreview-Feb26-Image1ce.jpg

Mwahahaha.

Reactions: Ml2sjw

Ml2sjw

Gang Hero
Nov 25, 2017
United kingdom
Exactly they have done a sketch of it how long can it take to make a scent set of rules? I do wonder as the eye of selene is a helwmar strong hold it would make sense as the setting where they introduce enforcers. Probably just wishful thinking.....

Reactions: Paupoi

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
And here is Precipice, under the shadow of the Blackstone Fortress:

BlackstoneArt-Nov11-NewDiscoveryArt1vu.jpg

1 comments
Reactions: Space Truckin

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Seems like you could model Necromunda hive gangers off of the Ratling twins. 1 card represents 2 or 3 gangers/juves. If you want to make a whole gang, you could have 1 leader hero, 1 champion hero, and 2 heroes which are gangers & juves.

Reactions: Ml2sjw

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Here are a few links over to Boardgamegeek, where folks have been homebrewing up some heroes and encounters:

And more at

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Also while rummaging over there, found this: 3D printed tileset for BSF. A purchase set, not a free set. For now, at least. But that's a matter of time, I wager.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
A couple of home brew villain cards, by folks over at the BSF Facebook group:

Each one operates by "counts as"-ing substitution for another group of Hostiles. So, replace the default hostiles with this one, when drawn. Fairly simple in that regard, and able to "theme" the exploration without then needing to craft new cards that can be shuffled [although, again, using sleeves makes that not at all problematic to do].

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
So exploring the idea of creating homebrew explorers. After all, single models rather than full suites of enemies seems an easier design aim to start. Here's the concept work for

Gunvarak Grimstarr
squat brotherhood archaeologist

Move 1 Defence d8 Agility d6 Vitality d12
3 Action Dice
Weapon Actions:
* Shotgun and pick 1+ 1d12 2-3d8 4+d6
* Drillbird grenade 5+^ 1d6 2-3d6 4+d6
^ Blast: ignore cover and make an attack roll against each other hostile in the same hex as the target.
Special Rules:
Duck and Cover: When hostiles attack Gunvarak Gruimstarr from further than an adjascent hex, he is considered to be in cover.
Treasure Hunter: When searching, draw two cards and discard one.
Secret Agenda:
Second Wind: Take two Mortal Wounds

INSPIRED:
Move 2 Defence d12 Agility d6 Vitality d12
4 Action Dice
Weapon Actions:
* Shotgun and pick 1+ 1d12 2-3d8 4+d6
* Drillbird grenade 5+^ 1d6 2-3d6 4+d6
^ Blast: ignore cover and make an attack roll against each other hostile in the same hex as the target.
Special Rules:
Duck and Cover: When hostiles attack from further than an adjascent hex, Gunvarak Grimstarr and all explorers in his hex are considered to be in cover.
Treasure Hunter: When searching, draw two cards and discard one.

Considerations:
He is built with two elements in mind: 1. good at solo survivability and "tanking" the damage [in fact his Inspiration specifically is about taking and then mitigating damage - with the extra action dice slot making up to some extent for the mortal wounds taken, and the massive defence dice]; and 2. good at searching. Theoretically his job will be to head off on his own, slowly zipping away from the group, to scout for clues, and then slowly zip back to help defend the group. He's as slow as UR-025, the other tank, but without the robot's ranged capability. Model wise, any of the basic shotgun-armed Kharadron Thunderers would suit, but so would the Necromunda Bounty Hunter squat model.

A quick mock-up of the card:

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
As mentioned elsewhere, in between plotting a Mordheim table, and readying our Blackstone Fortress, I have been looking [I blame BSF and the chatter about Genestealer Cult models] through my Space Hulk materials. As a result, I came across the article in the Citadel Journal [issue 2] of Harlequin Troupe rules for Space Hulk. The piece made me realize that one or two Harlequins would actually make decent choices for "new explorer" concepts at least in the setting --

Harlequins are established in the [older] fluff as periodically disguising themselves as "normal" Eldar for a while, so blending in aboard Precipice should be no real trouble. They collect information and artifacts for the Black Library, so it would make sense for one or two to explore into a seemingly intact Blackstone. They are known [again in older fluff] for inexplicable allegiances, making their willingness to work alongside [or against] a disparate group of others viable. And of course, they fight principally against Chaos, thus again giving reason in the fluff for them to send an "expeditionary effort."

Play-wise, they would do something different to our established explorers:

They would ["should"] be durable [hard to hit] at range but fragile when adjacent, however they would also do little damage at range, but be combat powerhouses when adjacent. None of our explorers to date actually work that way. [Yes, the death jester could give a long-ranged sniper in cover, but our Biel-Tan lady already fills that role; though a Death Jester could make an interesting "alternative model" for Shadowguide, using exactly the same rules as she does....]

Plus the models are pretty.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
I have a bunch. Including the original Harlequin jet bike. I picked up a set of the "new" harlequins when they came out in two-piece pewter as well. Don't have any of the "new new" plastics yet, mind. Would like to get the warlock ["shadowseer"] to complement my troupe. And then re-paint the lot. I have come up with a colour scheme and background that I think I like, so will get around to revisiting them eventually. They are, after all, library reacquisition teams, as well as storytellers. They are definitely "my bag."

This "Space Hulk" consideration also has me remembering that I have among my Traitor Terminators one of the Goodwin "Mark1" Terminator suits. The one with the "spine" sculpted from the top of the helmet over the peak. It serves alongside the rest of my Traitor Termies.
mk_01_concept.jpg