N18 Book of the Outcasts discussion

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
The key here is the assumption that this is in addition to their starting skill, why do you assume that?

Other wyrd-capable champions and leaders (Genestealer cult Adept, Helot Witch) start with a skill, which may be a wyrd power, so allowing the Outcast Wyrd to begin with two powers would put them well above other similar models.

Reactions: BearsWillEatYou

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Some day in the far future, archeologists are going to unEarth "OC Leaders are broken" posts on this forum and wonder what we ancient humans were talking about. I mean, yep, bring an alliance delegation for OC Leader. Uh, the archeologist would point out ANY other gang can bring the same alliance delegation for FREE, and not sacrifice their Leader. Master Charlatan for Leader? Archeologist are shaking their heads. In a gang that has to disband when the Leader dies? Some other abomination like a Murder Cyborg for Leader? Even they know you wont win friends for that, but your friends will love the rest of your gang. Those future archeologists are gonna wonder what all the fuss was about.

Here in the present, the problem with OC is they don't quite live up to the "build your own" premise. The Champs and gangers are subpar, and the 3 Gangers-for-every-Champ rule is quite restrictive. Instead of a unique gang, this is a most bland, baseline. That's not a bad thing, but it's not quite what the hype leads one to believe. What I like is the gang is so so-so, I don't feel bad about Min-Maxing.

Reactions: Oskar81IM

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
Some day in the far future, archeologists are going to unEarth "OC Leaders are broken" posts on this forum and wonder what we ancient humans were talking about. I mean, yep, bring an alliance delegation for OC Leader. Uh, the archeologist would point out ANY other gang can bring the same alliance delegation for FREE, and not sacrifice their Leader. Master Charlatan for Leader? Archeologist are shaking their heads. In a gang that has to disband when the Leader dies? Some other abomination like a Murder Cyborg for Leader? Even they know you wont win friends for that, but your friends will love the rest of your gang. Those future archeologists are gonna wonder what all the fuss was about.

Here in the present, the problem with OC is they don't quite live up to the "build your own" premise. The Champs and gangers are subpar, and the 3 Gangers-for-every-Champ rule is quite restrictive. Instead of a unique gang, this is a most bland, baseline. That's not a bad thing, but it's not quite what the hype leads one to believe. What I like is the gang is so so-so, I don't feel bad about Min-Maxing.
Arent outcasts gangs just Oldmunda?

Reactions: Psyan

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
-ish. In the sense the gang has little in the way of special rules and specific theme, yes, I guess. Oldmunda to me is Juves who promote to Gangers and beyond. Gangers who gain stats and skills. "Newmunda" is about heroes. The supporting cast goes with the flow. I don't feel like OC is gonna promote much.

This isn't critiques. OC is aight.

Reactions: cronevald

retzlaffmd

Sep 27, 2021
1 power & no skill, as the powers are their skill. From my reading, every psyker ganger either has no other option to start, or has the ability to pay extra creds to gain more powers in gangs where the psyker option is an additional choice(like Delaque in HoS). These House gang psykers have a non-psy powers skill set, while the Outcast ones only have their powers as primary skills. It's the trade-off of belonging to a House which will protect and train you, versus being out on your own with a bounty on your head just for existing, I guess...

retzlaffmd

Sep 27, 2021
As for the comments about Outcast gangs(and their leaders) being OP, I recently finished an Outlands campaign playing Clanless Outcasts. Leader was a CC beast(I used a Goliath Stimmer for the model with a Lobo-head from the Ogryn servitors set, story was he was a pit fighter until an "unfortunate accident", armed with paired chainaxes, and plasma pistol or storm bolter), had 3 champions(1 hand flamer, stub gun, power axe; 1 long rifle; 1 heavy stubber), and 9 scummers plus a rogue doc. MVP for my crew was actually a scummer nicknamed Drunky(due to a conversion to conceal that I had no melee weapons that would look right to replace the knife I had removed for another model, replacing it with a wine bottle from a different kit) who had the highest kill count of the entire gang, despite only having a stub gun(normal ammo)! Of course, most opponent models ran away from 'Da Ripper(or Papercuts as he was affectionately known due to me not being able to roll anything but flesh wounds with him... But 4+ flesh wound results in a single round will still take out a guy!) due to him looking so nasty! But even so, the only real "OP" aspect was not really having to worry about bottling out early in most games, as even if half the gang(that showed up in a scenario) was put in recovery, they still were usually able to have the full amount of guys showing up for the next scenario. And scummers only costing a minimum of 35 creds each(scummer + stub gun) means easy replacement in any campaign with credit income, or normal income from territories(even when building a settlement in the Outlands campaign, you still have the basic Settlement territory to start, normally). My only death in that campaign was a lasting injury roll of 63, and rolling 110 creds to try to heal a 45 cred scum, that would cost 30 to replace... Won the scenario, so got to keep his gear and give to the replacement("Here's a knife and stub gun, don't worry, that blood should wash off...")

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Great recap! Reminds me of Big Mak, my beloved (pre-House of Chains) Goliath Leader who died in the 11th game of a 12 game campaign in which I won the most Triumphs. Nowadays I would only add, a Goliath gang can Gene-Smith a close combat monster also with a BS +2. Put another way, when it comes to an OP Leader, anything Outcasts can do, other gangs can do as well or better. And the rest of the Outcast gang is sub-par, so it evens out. You made the best of their less-than-select assets. Nice post!

Reactions: Psyan

EAfirstlast

Ganger
Aug 31, 2017
Alexandria, VA, USA
Great recap! Reminds me of Big Mak, my beloved (pre-House of Chains) Goliath Leader who died in the 11th game of a 12 game campaign in which I won the most Triumphs. Nowadays I would only add, a Goliath gang can Gene-Smith a close combat monster also with a BS +2. Put another way, when it comes to an OP Leader, anything Outcasts can do, other gangs can do as well or better. And the rest of the Outcast gang is sub-par, so it evens out. You made the best of their less-than-select assets. Nice post!
I mean, Goliath can do because GW made them the best gang.