N18 Books in revised versions?

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
There have been rumours of books being reprinted in revised/updated versions, but I was first now aware based on photo graphical evidence!

This is from a youtube review (around first release in 2020):
1641848157122.png

This was shared by @irishwizz:
1641848122023.png

Take a look at the Wyld Bow with Damage '-' which was later FAQ'ed to Damage 1 and this eventually made into some of the books? Who knows what else may have changed?

Exactly my thought. And reported errors may come in doubt when they suddenly no longer exist. How to identify the revised book from the original? Different ISBN number?

Could even be an issue in the second hand market, I would certainly prefer to buy a revised version.

All in all good, but do I now need to keep track of errors in multiple dimensions? :ROFLMAO: Not only per book, but per version of the book.

What other books have been updated?

Reactions: Sundown Dreamer
Best case they updated it with only what is in the FAQ to the letter and nothing more. But as @Jayward pointed out elsewhere, that means that the power knife would still be wrong as the FAQ failed at fixing it completely (missing banckstab). Worst case only parts of the FAQ is included in the revised version and possibly some other changes never mentioned in the FAQ or elsewhere.

But I don't care enough to do a 2nd detailed read through even if I had the revised version.

Reactions: Mr. M
This has been happening for a while. My memory starts to get fuzzy somewhere but I’m fairly certain there are two different copies of the Book of Peril floating around as well because my older copy was slightly different to someone else in my playing group.

The bigger issue for me was how to tell which edition was current because I don’t think we were able to actually figure it out other than that I knew I got mine when it came out and he bought his copy a year or so later.

Another weird issue is that GW really pushes buying these books on pre-order or release but if you wait a bit you might get a better quality product. Or you might not depending where you're buying from, how new their stock is, and whether GW has bothered to make these random changes. All this could be solved by better editing and proof reading from the start.

Last edited:
I looked at the list of errors that you mentioned, and a few are corrected in my edition of House of Blades:

The rest does not seem to have been modified
What are the changes for some of the pictures you posted? "Back From the Dead" scenario (Deploymet & Sentries), Ganger (Skills & Equipment).

So it turns out Power Knife was corrected in the end 😂

1. HoB (v1): Bad Power knife
  2. FAQ: Attempt at fixing power knife (fails to add backstab)
  3. HoB (v2): Correct power knife
No wonder they never updated the FAQ, they fixed it in the book instead, so you can just buy it again.

Would this be reflected in the current digital version?

And wow, Somersault was updated from making no sense to now be a make-shift Suspensor with -1 hit modifier (similar to "Move & Shoot" ability of Stig-Shambler).

Last edited:
Somersault does something I'm not overly happy with, but I guess it works in most situations. It grants an effect (shoot Unwieldy ranged weapons as Basic with -1 to hit) before the action is performed. So in a sense, you make a promise to make this action afterwards. How does this work exactly?

If you perform Somersault first, then there's no problem. But if you Shoot (Basic) first? I would assume you must have at least 1 subsequent action available, and if you're able to make that action, it must be Somersault?

But then you could have a situation where you have 3 or more actions available! Could you use the effect (shoot basic) first, then do something risky that would risk ending the activation before guaranteed being able to perform the somersault? For example:

1. Shoot (Basic) with Unwieldy and -1 hit modifier.
  2. Make another risky action (cast a wyrd power, leap a gap, attack in melee with versatile).
  3. If still being able to make the 3rd action, it must be Somersault.
I guess you would be able to "bet" away the somersault action, because even the shoot action could potentially end the activation (scattering blast, unstable etc.).

Had a quick chat with GW customer service. I knew they weren't aware and wanted to test it.
  • Me: Hi, I have a question about Necromunda House of Blades book. How many different versions have this been printed in?
  • GW: There has currently only been one printing which is the current print.
  • Me: There is photographical evidence to the contrary, showing 2 uniquely different versions (links to this page).
  • GW: The copy we have for sale is the most up to date copy we have.
  • Me: How do you know? How do you distinguish the different versions? A moment ago you wasn't even aware.
  • GW: We don't sell "old copies" of things.
  • Me: But this book was first released only 1 year ago. What is "old"?
  • GW: It's old if it's no longer on sale. If it's on sale it's the current edition.
  • Me: Both are current edition!
  • GW: This may be a little blunt and forgive me if it is but as noted above, we don't sell old books, we only sell the current versions of the book.
I feel sorry this is the daily work for any innocent person 😂 I was a bit obnoxious here but they are running a company and not exactly open or clear about products customers are supposed to pay for.

Having some limited experience with how corporations operate, there are at least two options:
1) customer service was never informed that there are multiple versions of the books and they play dumb
2) they are fully aware of the multiple versions and were instructed to play dumb

Call me naïve, but I'd imagine they did not know.

I like to imagine some GW employee secretely correcting books and exchanging the masters at the printer 😁😁😁

Call me naïve, but I'd imagine they did not know.

I like to imagine some GW employee secretely correcting books and exchanging the masters at the printer
What are the changes for some of the pictures you posted? "Back From the Dead" scenario (Deploymet & Sentries), Ganger (Skills & Equipment).

So it turns out Power Knife was corrected in the end 😂

1. HoB (v1): Bad Power knife
  2. FAQ: Attempt at fixing power knife (fails to add backstab)
  3. HoB (v2): Correct power knife
No wonder they never updated the FAQ, they fixed it in the book instead, so you can just buy it again.

Would this be reflected in the current digital version?

And wow, Somersault was updated from making no sense to now be a make-shift Suspensor with -1 hit modifier (similar to "Move & Shoot" ability of Stig-Shambler).
The change to augmented fist and the smoke grenade name iirc, also 🙂

Haha! They forgot to add augmetic fist in the original HoB because they always reprint the standard brutes, so in the revised version they added the weapon profile for it but changed the name to augmented fist. That's funny!

The change to augmented fist and the smoke grenade name iirc, also 🙂
Thanks! However I didn't find any difference to smoke grenade names, the "Back from the Dead" scenario or the ganger skills and equipment list.

Is it possible for 2 people, one of them preferrably being you, to take a photo of front cover, back cover and whatever pages in the start (like index) that show any particular info about the book like dates, ISBN-number or other publishing info?

Last edited:
If there is any indication, then I suspect it would be stated alongside copyright information (usually on a title page or similar right near the front).

I remember reading about this last year, though there was no photos then so it kinda fizzled out as “rumour”.

So it is true! My guess is they update the master for the ebook version when they do the FAQ and this updated master is then used as the basis for any further print runs.

There may not be any reprint dates or edition etc.

Also I find it funny that they say the don’t sell out of date books! They actively do! Hence the bloody yearly update books for 40k and AoS!

Thanks! However I didn't find any difference to smoke grenade names, the "Back from the Dead" scenario or the ganger skills and equipment list.

Is it possible for 2 people, one of them preferrably being you, to take a photo of front cover, back cover and whatever pages in the start (like index) that show any particular info about the book like dates, ISBN-number or other publishing info?
Well, it is actually written "second printing" on mine, at thz bottome of the content page. I guess that might be the clue?

In the list of errors, you said that it was written smoke gas grenades, or was it not here?

The back from the dead, the sneak attack description states that it applies to the ennemy (so I guess not the Escher, hence it applies to the attacker). If I understood correctly, in the previous version, it was supposed to apply to the defender, no?