Necromunda building a foldaway board

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
So as a student at Nottingham university it annoys me to have to get out every week and set up the necromunda boards which takes a good hour to get the three to four boards set up for the club sessions.

Towards that aim I came up with the idea of a foldable board which I could simply carry to the university and unfold and have everything ready in 1 minute.

So my first draft of this was out of pizza boxes and ended up far to large to be easily transported so I've decided to try again using foam board and keeping the size much smaller.

plus it was supper ugly as a test run.

IMG_2040_1.jpg

but in foam board this looks much nicer.

IMG_2033.jpg

and when it unfolds

IMG_2034.jpg

and the other side
IMG_2035.jpg

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
making a tiny shop.

after having a look at some the older threads I came across a thread for Hive Guys the undehive fast food chain so they're adding a restaurant to my city block.

so keeping with the expanding and foldaway nature of my design we have the restaurant slide out of the wall.
IMG_2036.jpg

so that's a fine start but lets neaten it up a bit.

IMG_2037.jpg

and lets get a idea of where the signs going to go later on when it can be painted.

IMG_2038_1.jpg

now the restaurant has a good place to start at!

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Good luck buddy - many have tried and failed with this worthy endeavour!

Bilbostomper

Laser Monkey
Honored Tribesman
Nov 30, 2017
Porsgrunn, Norway
If time is an issue, wouldn't it be easiest to just use the ZM tiles from the base game? I also saw one company that makes box-like structures you can stack inside each other.

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
we don't use the new ruleset at the moment we still runoff of the NCE rules so we've yet to use the zone mortalis tiles in a game at the club.
the boxed structures sounds cool and I did make a stack of 6 cardboard structures that stacked inside one another but those limited the amount of surface detail and I didn't fancy doing that again in greater detail for my foam board project.

do you have a link to the site that does the stackable terrain as that does sound interesting though?

Reactions: Blood Donor

Mongooser

Juve
Dec 12, 2017
Jacksonville FL
I'll be looking forward to what this looks like all painted up. If it comes out well I might end up doing up something similar myself.

I was thinking maybe two sheets of MDF with a smaller sheet between them and hinge them all together so that the large sheets are facing each other and the other is acting like the sides of a box. Build up the walls on the edges so that it looks like a brief case. Build up the internal walls so that they can act as both walls and hold your 3d terrain pieces in place during transit and after play.

Hmmm....I really need to sketch this out after I finish my HTML coursework today.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Can't you just go down WHW and use their stuff? (Not really sure how that works. I guess you probably have to pay to play.)

It certainly looks like a promising start here though.

undertaker

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 21, 2016
Nottingham
WHW are probably not going to be so keen on us playing NCE when they have a new and shiny Necromunda to promote. :p
Even though I live in Nottingham I haven't been to WHW in many years (sinful, I know) so I don't even know if they have dedicated Necromunda tables.

Reactions: Ben_S

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
Today I figured I should see how my hive guys looks with a bit more detail so added a few cutouts to get a more 3d look.
IMG_2046.jpg

and then gave it a quick paintjob as I'm pretty bad at painting. ill go back and redo this latter when I've got to paint the entire thing I just wanted to have a nice look at the colour scheme.
IMG_2048.jpg

also added a few more ledges and the first all important ladder to the piece
IMG_2049.jpg

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
problem I've noticed is using all the space because my original plan was to do a folding H shape design which if done right does manage to fit about 4*4 board but it doesn't give much options about getting around it so I'm trying to figure out ways to connect the two sides of the board together, maybe a pull out bridge that fits in the box and you just slide it to where you want it to go?

but I think that could be a slippery slope towards independent terrain which ignores the purpose of setting up the board as quickly as possible.

something I'm sure to think about more once I've done the doors, ladders, barriers, walls, floors and then the other side

given no scale of the project so far but its a large briefcase size 22 inches long 12 high and 7 wide

IMG_2059.jpg

plus then there's the same again to do on the other side
so maybe when its done i'll be happy with the size?
IMG_2060.jpg

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
decided to call my hive project
IMG_2064.jpg

for its survival of the fittest in here. need to go over theis and turn it into a holilywood sign after doing some windows but its okay for now.

one of the complaints when I used this last weekend was that it blocked line of sight too much so adding a few more windows and doors around the hive

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

plus added a extra fold out blocker for the ground floor to give a bit more partial cover instead of having a killing floor.
IMG_2063.jpg

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
well after going to the tribemeet 2018 I must say I fell in love with the terrain there, the flashing lights the moving parts the gloriously painted scenery it enough to drive me to despair over my own paltry efforts. but at least its driven me to put some more into the board which is now finally getting big enough to play on.

some simple scatter terrain line of sight blockers to start with and

I added a new fold out section so you can really get around.

folds nicely away which is ultimately what I was aiming for. I felt this was needed as I want to join it and the other side up so that there are a few ways around above ground level rather than what I've got now.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
a couple Yakkers have been doing this for Micro-Munda, and i was wondering if it was doable for full size. Watching with interest! (i won’t make one myself, but i’m still curious!)

The Tailor

Juve
Oct 16, 2017
Doncaster, UK
Do you happen to have a link to where they’ve been posting as I’ve not seen them yet and would be fascinated with how they did it.

I’m proud to say that I’m now working on areas that fold out of walls that fold out of the main walls that fold out of the board so 3rd level folding. Anyway the point is too much origami folding and I’m curious how they did it

Reactions: CaptainDangerous