NCE Building New Goliath for NCE

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
chicagoskirmishwargames.com
The only classic House Gang I don't have in my collection is Goliath and I'd like to change that. Unlike the other gangs, I'm using the new figures (luckily Goliath are supposed to be huge) to put together an NCE/ORB Gang.
I've got the Gang and the Forgeborn/stimmers pack (10 gangers, 4 juves, 2 heavies) but my bits box is deep and I can literally arm these any way I want.

How would you build these guys assuming you wanted to:
-Start strong
-Stay mostly close to WYSIWYG throughout a potential campaign.
-not spam loadouts too much.

Thanks for your advice. There's a good chance that this gang would end up being run by another club member, so I'd like to give them a solid chance.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
The only classic House Gang I don't have in my collection is Goliath and I'd like to change that. Unlike the other gangs, I'm using the new figures (luckily Goliath are supposed to be huge) to put together an NCE/ORB/YCE Gang.
I've got the Gang and the Forgeborn/stimmers pack (10 gangers, 4 juves, 2 heavies) but my bits box is deep and I can literally arm these any way I want.

How would you build these guys assuming you wanted to:
-Start strong
-Stay mostly close to WYSIWYG throughout a potential campaign.
-not spam loadouts too much.

Thanks for your advice. There's a good chance that this gang would end up being run by another club member, so I'd like to give them a solid chance.
I'd start medium leaving room to grow, Start as close to WYSIWYG as possible but not imperative throughout campaign as long as changes are noted for opponent, and lastly 100% not spam loadouts. I "try" to not run more than two or three of something at least to start. As a campaign grows must adapt.

Also... what's "NCE/ORB/YCE"?

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
I'd start medium leaving room to grow, Start as close to WYSIWYG as possible but not imperative throughout campaign as long as changes are noted for opponent, and lastly 100% not spam loadouts. I "try" to not run more than two or three of something at least to start. As a campaign grows must adapt.

Also... what's "NCE/ORB/YCE"?
My mistake about YCE,
Haven't been around much, I saw it mentioned and thought YCE was a new version of NCE. Looks like it's actually a new version of the current rules that I'm not interested in. I'll edit that out now.

Beyond that, do you have any advice for outfitting a gang for the Necromunda Community Edition or the Original Necromunda Rulebook?

Sep 22, 2021
My mistake about YCE,
Haven't been around much, I saw it mentioned and thought YCE was a new version of NCE. Looks like it's actually a new version of the current rules that I'm not interested in. I'll edit that out now.

Beyond that, do you have any advice for outfitting a gang for the Necromunda Community Edition or the Original Necromunda Rulebook?
OH! Thank you for clarifying the acronyms. :) Alas, I have no idea :/

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
OK, you’ve got the new figures but most of the included weapons are not actually usable in NCE unless you want a lot of proxies. So be prepared to convert!

The two stimmers, while cool and very heavy aren’t really very easy to make a double handed weapon for. So you could turn one (or both) into Leader variants. Otherwise be prepared to do lots of arm converting to get them holding Heavy Stubbers, H. Bolters or Grenade Launchers (easy enough).

For basic Gangers you’ll need a couple of shotguns, autoguns and lasguns for true 90s style. The variety here is to allow your player to tailor to how they want to play.
Yeah there’s this “thing” now that Goliaths don’t take Lasguns - rubbish I say, look at the original model range - they’re a reliable weapon to zap an opponent with.

After that pistols and h2h weapons. Remember: no special weapons here, they’re Leader and Heavies only (and you can only take two Heavies max).

Make the Prospects the Juves. They can only have pistols and h2h weapons so you’re limited on choice but maybe make them armed differently.

I’m deliberately not driving you down a “stock” build because the best thing to do is have variety. The weapons won’t let you down but more the Muscle skill tree they have. You can’t change that so roll with it. Get hits in early in the game.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Staff member
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
For WYSIWYG it's generally accepted (as in lots of people have done it at TribeMeets without issue) that stub cannons are shotguns and the automatic shotgun thing is a bolter.

The rivet cannon has been a Heavy Bolter too, or convert a longer/different barrel on it and it's easily a heavy stubber or flamer but, if you have a deep bits box, you may as well convert a proper one in.

The assorted cc weapons are easily proxied in as knives/clubs/massive weapons - which were always quite vague anyway (I think it's the Club that covers everything from a length of pipe to an axe or mace).

Get some lasguns and autoguns converted in there (and at least one chain weapon because it's mandatory I tell you) and you're good!

Keep up the variety, avoid spamming one kind of weapon as @MusingWarboss says. Have fun!

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I would assume that the most used/useful heavy weapons are heavy stubber and heavy bolter. (That's assuming you mean heavy weapons, rather than weapons for heavies. You might want to consider a heavy without a heavy weapon.)

Reactions: MusingWarboss

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
@Eilif You’re most likely to start with a Heavy Stubber as it’s cheapish and pretty decent.

Next step up is the Heavy Bolter.

Most of the other options won’t get seen either a: at all or b: much later in a campaign.

Some pretty decent special weapons though. Grenade Launchers, Flamers and Meltas all good.

You can always convert a new Heavy miniature as the game progresses with any new kit you acquire. You’ll probably always start with either the H Stubber or H Bolter though.

Reactions: Ben_S

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
I think a heavy stubber is probably the best choice for starters. Might do a flamer just for the Goliath-appropriate brutality of it.

However, the more I look at the stimmers, the more I hate how huge they are. Strongly considering trading them away and just using Ganger figures to make heavies.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
However, the more I look at the stimmers, the more I hate how huge they are. Strongly considering trading them away and just using Ganger figures to make heavies.
In all honesty, if you don’t like the stimmers then rather than spend your $ buying that box you may as well just buy another set of the base Goliaths. Then you’d have 20 models to convert around with, which is more than enough for an NCE Gang.

The prospects are quite an expensive buy to just convert them into Juves. You’d be better off getting some muscly chaos dudes instead.

Reactions: Ben_S

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
You may be right, but I already bought the stimmers/forgeborn box. Even with just the forgeborn, I'm at 14 figs in the game and that's enough for me. Their arms are wierdly positioned, but I don't see much difficulty in converting them to proper juves.