N18 Campaign Delauqe

N3p3nth3

Juve
Feb 26, 2018
Helsinki, Suomi
Thanks all for the feedback on my Escher... now, I don't mean to go through all the gangs asking for comments, but I managed to persuade a non-40k playing friend of mine to join the campaign if I design a gang for him. :)

The specs I got were that he likes a "shooty, mobile glass-cannon type army". With "mobile", I thought Delaque is as close as it gets (vs Van Saar), so I thought I'd have him try this: https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/alpha_protocol.48926/

House Delaque (1k points exactly):
1. Leader: Shock Stave, Flechette pistol (Overseer)
2. Champion: Long rifle, flechette pistol (overwatch)
3. Champion: plasma gun, lasgun (fast shot)
4. Ganger: web gun, lasgun
5. Ganger. shotgun, smoke grenades
6. Ganger: lasgun
7: Ganger: lasgun
8: Ganger: lasgun

Abundance of lasguns for hot shot upgrades in campaign.

Entertainingly, I think I can build 2 of these guys from the sprue (leader + shot gun champ) without converting or buying the forge world upgrades when they eventually are released - hopefully this week. Either I'm missing something in how to play them, or they really have the absolutely worst weapons selection on-sprue!

Edit: Argh, typo in title!

Last edited:

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
You should be able to make the long rifle guy as well as it comes in the box.

I’d recommend changing a couple of the lasguns to autoguns as they push out more firepower early on (and come in the sprue).

I’d also change the leaders shock stave for a web gauntlet and drop the secondary weapons from the starting list for another fighter.

You could also look at changing the webgun to a web pistol.

Reactions: N3p3nth3
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
You can use the back-carried autoguns as lasguns, maybe replace the barrel with the lazpistol ones; there aren't lasguns in the delaque weapon sets anyway. You'll need two more - do you have any escher or van saar ones? The webgun you can convert maybe from the shotgun or gravgun with a webgauntlet barrel.

Merzbau

Ganger
Nov 9, 2018
Philadelphia
If you’re running an Overseer leader he won’t need a full loadout right away. A flechette pistol gives him a (decently deadly) short range shooting option if threatened and also acts as a sidearm for CC- I’d drop the staff for now.

A lasgun seems excessive as the backup for your web gun champ, since you don’t get those at Escher rates; I’d go for an autopistol, which is the range he’s most likely to operate at anyway, gives him a CC sidearm, and saves you a few bucks. I’m also skeptical on the plasma gunner, but at least it’s the right range. I’ve given my own plasma champ throwing knives as a backup (trying to spread around Silent weapons for sentry missions); who knows how that’ll turn out.

A second smoke grenade or, if you can spare the cash after making the above cuts, an infra scope on your rifle, will go a long way- the latter especially synergizes well with the overall Delaque meta of cutting the lights when on the attack and forcing a photogoggles arms race, but also makes their Overwatch that much more of a nuisance.

Merzbau

Ganger
Nov 9, 2018
Philadelphia
To elaborate a bit: i would welcome a correction from more experienced players if I’m wrong, but it seems like the best bet if you want to allocate a backup weapon to fighters with rough ammo rolls is (aside from keeping them cheap) to try and match their effective range, right? If they’re explicitly resorting to a backup weapon because they’ve Scarced out, they’ve been shooting, so you’ll want to pick something effective in, say, template range. The idea of versatile loadouts feels like a trap to me- if you have multiple weapons effective in very different circumstances you’re guaranteed not to be getting much use out of a lot of your credits, and if you’re consistently finding your fighters maneuvered into ineffective ranges, there are better ways to fix it with things like grapnel launchers, smoke, etc.

N3p3nth3

Juve
Feb 26, 2018
Helsinki, Suomi
My logic is that I want to have gangers with either risky weapons or short ranges a backup weapon with a decent range. Web gun guy has a lasgun due to his main weapon being just a template.

I think extra range never hurts - admittedly I’m primarily and Escher player, where that 5 point lasgun with the hot-shot upgrade path is just a no-brainer.

Reactions: Merzbau

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I tend to agree with Merzbau that short range fighters should generally have short/mid range back up weapons and long range shooters should have long range back up weapons.

For example your overwatch champion with a long rifle and a flechette pistol is going to spend most of his time trying to stay at least 24" away from enemies to use his long rifle, but will rarely get a chance to shoot his 12" flechette pistol if he is successful. His weakest spot is also 12-24" where he is outside of the long range of the pistol, but inside the rifles short range.

On the other hand your webgun and lasgun armed ganger is going to spend every turn double moving to try and get in range with his webgun template so will likely not shoot his 24" lasgun until his webgun craps out and he is now standing within 9" of a bunch of angry enemy fighters.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Also remember though, are you using 2d or 3d terrain, and how much? if you are using 2d, a pistol backup is more worth it on folk because the odds of you at some point bumping into someone coming the other way round a corner is pretty high, likewise if you are playing a lot of 3d with multi levels and odd routes between levels, then a cheap lasgun can be great on a flamer guy, as if he finds himself taking out one guy, but then the next is a level away where he can't easily get to, having the option to reach out with the lasgun becomes great.

So your terrain will influence you choice as well

N3p3nth3

Juve
Feb 26, 2018
Helsinki, Suomi
Thanks, a lot of good points. We’ll start mostly 2d while I build my terrain collection up :D

https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/copy_of_alpha_protocol.50206/
Updated:

House Delaque (1k points exactly):
1. Leader: Flechette pistol (Overseer)
2. Champion: Long rifle, infra-sight (overwatch)
3. Champion: plasma gun, lasgun, photo-goggles(fast shot)
4. Ganger: web gun
5. Ganger. shotgun, smoke grenades
6. Ganger: lasgun, smoke grenades
7: Ganger: lasgun
8: Ganger: lasgun