N18 Campaign for 1v1v1

deathkraiser

Mar 23, 2020
G'day folks

I have a very small groups of players, 3 of us in total. We only meet up once every 2 weeks for a game.

I'd love to kick off a Necromunda campaign but am struggling to work out how to handle the 1v1v1 aspect. We would prefer that all 3 of us play in the same game, so that there is no one sitting waiting around.

I've had a few ideas. The Ash Wastes campaign looks fun, and I was thinking that each fortnight one player could issue a challenge, as per the normal campaign. Then that game the two players (attacker and defender) would be the 'main' players and the 3rd gang could be involved as a harrying force, attacking the flanks of the two warring gangs.

My main concern with this would be that the 3rd player might have more of an impact on it, what if they manage to wipe out the other two gangs? Would they get the road section?

Also I think it would be best to keep the 3rd gang's objective different to the main objectives, but I am not sure what/how that should be done, while also ensuring that 3rd gang has reasons/incentive to attack.

Sorry for the word vomit above. Hoping to get some input from folks more experienced in Necromunda and running campaigns!

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Honestly, an odd number of players on game night is always a thing. It's probably the most vexing thing about the game. We don't always love converting 2-way games into 3-way games. There are multi-player scenarios. You can get creative, and probably should. But, an easy answer is elusive. If you can find/coerce/threaten/bribe/beg/borrow/or steal a fourth playah, do it!

El Torro

Juve
Jan 5, 2015
Slough
One way to address the issue is to each have two gangs, that way there are 6 gangs in the campaign and not 3. Every game take it in turns to have 2 players controlling one gang and the third player on his own. Rotate who is on their own of course. You could just have one gang each of course, but I think a campaign with 3 gangs isn’t really enough.

Not a great solution, I know. Still I think it’s better than trying to shoehorn a third gang into what is essentially a 1v1 game.

Reactions: Galtarr

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
One way to address the issue is to each have two gangs, that way there are 6 gangs in the campaign and not 3. Every game take it in turns to have 2 players controlling one gang and the third player on his own. Rotate who is on their own of course. You could just have one gang each of course, but I think a campaign with 3 gangs isn’t really enough.

Not a great solution, I know. Still I think it’s better than trying to shoehorn a third gang into what is essentially a 1v1 game.
This is a good idea for adding variety. We've done it in Warcry. The only issue is on a game night 3 people in a room - which gang fight do you do? Either 3rd person arbitrates ( + make tea/do beer runs) or you need someone trying to flit between 2 game boards

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Adding more gangs adds more games, but not more gamers. 3-way games can be fun. Hard to make them fair. And, a steady diet of them would get stale. Smaller, quicker scenarios allows for more games on game night. But, they are typically not perfect for sustaining a campaign.

As an experienced and exhalated Arbitrator, I work harder at the odd-man-out issue, than any other. And, typically I'm the one to forgo a game, to the detriment of my advancement in the campaign. But, being beloved sometimes demands sacrifice.

May 21, 2021
an hour east of Frisco
From running a lot of multiplayer games I've noticed a few things.

It's super important to make sure to keep deployment equally spaced. Two gangs that deploy closer to each other than the third tend to fight each other rather than a natural game fight evolution where players choose their targets.

Scenarios that all gangs share a common goal. Think of "Capture the Hill". Our most recent multiplayer shootout was a Taco Truck centered in the middle of a bunch of a taller bulkhead terrain. The goal was to hold it an entire round with an Active ganger without any opposing gangers being present. This didn't mean show up at the end of a round and win it, you had to hold it for an entire round. For the Taco Truck scenario that accounted to being within 2" of it, but a building floor, or room or whatever would work the same. You could do something similar and make a top floor or two of a tall scenic element the goal.

Splitting two gangs in half and having them co-op against one full gang is always an option.

Zombie/monster/creature apocalypse scenarios work, where the objective is survival against the odds an not necessarily each other. Give each gang a spot to survive and introduce NPCs that just want to kill them. I used to do this back in N95 when a stray came along with a regular player and had no minis of their own. Give them xD6 zombies/mutants/angry civilians a round to enter in a random NPC deployment zone (have multiple). Players have to survive X-number of rounds with or without special rules (Blackout, etc) in effect. Also a bug hunt where an NPC Big Nasty Creature shows up to hunt the gangers, they are fleeing from one end of the board to the other. We had an 8'x4' table so running longways down a table could be an experience.

Multi-step battles where X and Y must battle it out/reach/complete objective where upon the victor would battle against Z. Kind of like a battle to capture a bridge or pinch point and after that has occurred team Z shows up with the object of getting through, or not having their goods/archeotech stolen, or whatnot. Team Z would only get a number of random gangers equal to whomever is left out of the previous X-Y confrontation.

Just some of the things that came to mind....

Reactions: Galtarr

deathkraiser

Mar 23, 2020
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and tips! Definitely some things to think about.

I think we'll need to stick to games where all 3 gangs participate but there seem to be some options there too, including splitting two gangs in half to verse a larger gang.

If we do end up finding the 1v1v1 games to be getting stale I'll try and push for some smaller and quicker games here and there, we might even be able to squeeze in 3 short 1 hr games in a night if we're quick.