N18 Can I use my old Necromunda minis in the current edition?

Talarius

Juve
Nov 1, 2012
I got the (new-ish) hardcover rulebook for Christmas. Yay! I'm an old-school Necromunda player, so I have an extensive collection of the old minis (every gang except Delaque & Redemptionists). Even though the new minis are very nice, I'd prefer to keep on using the classic ones I already have. What do you all think? I know they've changed up the gangs with new weapons to better differentiate between the factions. Am I going to be able to use my old minis, or did GW make them obsolete?

GraaEminense

Four-armed Emperor
Jan 12, 2015
Bergen, Norway
Depends on gang and minis. Most will be "legal" once you have access to the full trade post, but you might have trouble equipping your starting gang from the rather restrictive house lists. Also, having to spend a lot of creds and trade post actions buying the minis you have will make building a competitive gang more difficult during the campaign, but that's probably less of an issue.

Going by memory of the miniature ranges I'm guessing Goliaths and Van Saar will be rather difficult because they have limited access to normal basic weapons, Escher will be sub-optimal because they are so lasgun-focused in the new rules, Orlocks use a lot of shotguns and autoguns so they'll probably be good, Cawdor will be functional but lack their gloriously weird weapons and Delaque... no idea, really.

Reactions: Ben_S and Talarius

Talarius

Juve
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks for the intel, I really appreciate it. I can put my Cawdor & Orlocks to use right away, so that's good news. re: Escher being lasgun-focused, is it that lasguns are sub-optimal, or that the old range had a wider variety than just lasguns?

I gotta say, I like the subtle changes they've made to the House gangs, but I'm not a fan of the scale creep. I'd love to add the new weird stuff to my Cawdor gang, but the new minis would TOWER over the old ones. And, of course, the old ones are just about impossible to convert. :-/ Regardless, I'm glad to *finally* have a copy of the new game rules so I can see what I've been missing out on.

Talarius

Juve
Nov 1, 2012
Oh, that's good to hear. Gotta take a look around for some side-by-side comparisons... to the internet! 🙃

Reactions: Ben_S

GraaEminense

Four-armed Emperor
Jan 12, 2015
Bergen, Norway
Escher have easy access to all the common (on old minis) guns/pistols in their house list, so they're fine. It's just that lasguns are such a good choice for them.

Reactions: Talarius

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Escher can just buy really cheap lasguns in the new rules so most people just spam them. If you’re using the old models then it can get a bit samey having so many duplicates of the same fixed pose models.

Orlock are still pretty good and can mix the newer and the older models reasonably well. Their new house list is basically autoguns, shotguns and boltguns so just park the lasguns.

Delaque are doable with the old miniatures. Lasguns, autoguns, shotguns and autopistols and laspistols are all in their house list so your gangers can be used with minimal conversion. Long rifle gangers can be converted by just extending barrels on old models. Sadly you will want to arm the leaders and champions with some of the more fun weapons which don’t quite stack up with the old figures. The heavy flamer can double as a webgun, but the heavy stubber isn’t a house weapon anymore. Also boltguns aren’t on your house list so all the leader models don’t work without trading post access.

Goliath are a write off, but the new minis look better than the old minis.

Cawdor I’ve never really liked so haven’t looked at them.

Van Saar old and new styles just don’t match, plus new Van Saar is las and rad weapon only.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
I think most if not all old minis can be used. All standard weapons are common so all gangs can have them (las/auto/stub).

GraaEminense

Four-armed Emperor
Jan 12, 2015
Bergen, Norway
I think most if not all old minis can be used. All standard weapons are common so all gangs can have them (las/auto/stub).
True in theory but harder in practice. A Goliath or Van Saar gang using only the old minis will have trouble building an actual gang from their house list to start with. Not impossible, but you'll need multiples of the same model.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Better to start with the full list of common weapons from the trading post. That's what I do every time, and I use new minis.

Talarius

Juve
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks again, guys. You've been super-helpful, I really appreciate it. Still waiting for the Gang War hardcover to arrive in the mail so I can try out your advice! 🙃

Scabs

Ganger
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
I got the (new-ish) hardcover rulebook for Christmas. Yay! I'm an old-school Necromunda player, so I have an extensive collection of the old minis (every gang except Delaque & Redemptionists). Even though the new minis are very nice, I'd prefer to keep on using the classic ones I already have. What do you all think? I know they've changed up the gangs with new weapons to better differentiate between the factions. Am I going to be able to use my old minis, or did GW make them obsolete?
Are your old-school mini's painted?
1) If yes...yes.
2) If no...no.
3) You're welcome.

Only you are going to care if a shotgun subs for a lasgun. If you are playing with people that pedantic, find new people. Hell, my not-so-young eyes can't tell the difference between a bolter and a grenade launcher across the table. I try not to get my guys shot by either. Obviously, if a shotgun subs for a Lascannon, that's a different deal.

That said, I did retire my old school gangs. I like the new ones,. I use old school Juves and gangers for Juves. I like the whole hobby (buying, building, painting, storing, hiding stuff from the wife; especially those pesky game store receipts and online purchase emails, etc.). I also like the new game. A lot!