N18 Can you knock a fighter off the board?

Hello all,

A situation that popped up last game.

my opponent was positioned on the edge off the battlefield.
i hit him with a long rifle which has knock back.

if that 1 inch back moves him out side the boundary of the battle is that fighter removed from battle?

regards
ivan

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
As far as I recall, the rules never define what the edge of the board is.

I play it as a wall for all intents and purposes, I've yet to meet anyone that doesn't share that assumption.
It just makes everything so much easier.

Reactions: Devilmixer

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
But if anyone is knocked off the board for other reasons (displacer field, for example) they are treated as OoA. In other scenarios people can leave the board via the edge

Maybe treat it like the fighter becomes a reinforcement, if they aren't SI or OOA?

TabulaRasa

Gang Hero
Jul 26, 2018
Stockholm
Interesting one! Can anyone claiming that it's impassible find a page number for it or is it just speculations/opinion?

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
Bellingham, Washington USA
Hmmmm couldn't find the definition of the battlefield GW usually has in the hardback book. But it is a permissive rule set and you are only allowed to measure distances to things on the the battlefield pg 49.

Movement is measured and you can't measure off the battlefield, knockback would stop and has a clause if you can't complete the move. Grenades scatter and displacer has different can't complete the move/measurement clauses in their rules.

Last edited:

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
The rules don't define the edge.

You and your group might decide you prefer treating it as a hole, or even a wall of instant death.
But most people find the impassable wall as the best explanation.

Some scenarios allow you to enter or leave the board - I assume through a hatch or doorway.
You could also houserule the displacer field just deposits you into reinforcements - there's a similar rule for falling down the Stygian Depths in the BoP.

Reactions: Vonvilkee

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I usually play the edge of the board is impassable terrain unless there is a rule that specifically allows you to exit the board.

It’s just how I’ve always played it, but I could understand if you wanted to make it any fighter that leaves the board edge goes out of action.